Confused? Help?

So me and my DH booked a cruise through RCI- Australia website earlier this month. I noticed the price went up a few days ago, but didn't think anything of it. I went on the American RCI website just a few min ago and the prices are pretty different. Especially if you throw in the fact that our dollar is doing very well against the US...AU$= 1.05 to every $1 US. After converting all of the prices this is what I came up with.

(Note: All are in AU pricing)

Inside Cabin:

US website- $990

Au Website- $1232

Outside Cabin:

US Website- $1405

AU Website- $1662

Balcony:

US Website- $2405

AU Website- $2792

Suite

US Website- $2386

AU Website- $2622

I'm not a big complainer usually but we are having to fly in and stay in a hotel the night before and the differences on just what website you pay on will def cover our airfare and hotel between the two of us. So should I rebook on the American website?? Is it too late our cruise usn't til the 23rd of October.

Is there something I'm missing?

When I see the same complaint from the UK I know the higher price reflects significantly better consumer protection laws. It appears the cruise insurance I purchase is not needed by residents of the UK because everything except medical evacuation seems to be covered.

I have no idea how things work in Australia, but if your laws are similar to the UK, that may very well be the reason for the higher prices. More liability to the cruise line = higher prices to the cruiser.

It might be worth an inquiry to see if you can book on the American site and save some $$$. You may have a fee applied for $$ conversion on your credit card, but it would be a lot less than the savings you have figured out. It's not too late to do this. Your cruise is still nearly 9 months away, so you should be able to cancel without penalty if you want to rebook if it works the same way there as it does here in the US.

On the travel protection aspect of booking thru the Aussie site or the US site, I have absolutely no knowledge!

Good Luck!

Judy

Another thing to consider is whether or not the prices quoted on the AU site include gratuities. They are not included in the base US price with the expectation that they can be added on as a supplement or paid on the ship.

I know that RCI has been cracking down on passengers booking outside of their country of residence so you may have more trouble than just calling up or emailing a US TA.

I researched all of the Aussie websites and found the best deal then got them to email it to me and then went to a local TA and got them to price match it.

Less than what you have outlined here, ie. $2514 for a junior suite. It's the cheapest I've found and similar to the american expedia site. If you want the website just provide your email address and I will email you. Grats not in this price though.

Luckily, if we by flights, cruises or any other vacations on our credit card our bank pays for our travel insurance :) I've already looked at a travel agency and thinking about upgrading for less than the AU website. Thanks for the comments.

I have looked into the same thing but RCI USA can't be booked by a person who is Aussie like me and you, they have laws I found these on vacations to go they have all the cruise lines you can and can't book through america.

I'm not a US citizen but all except my current cruise have been booked via US agents at US prices with absolutely no problems.

This time however the conversion was actually cheaper to book via the UK rather than the US. I always buy separate trip insurance so will book whichever site is cheapest.

Archived