What are "vouchers" used for?

dnl_in_Illinois

Without knowing where you read about these vouchers or what vouchers you are talking about it is difficult to answer your question.

Regarding butlers and concierges tips. Suite passengers have stated instead of giving their butlers cash, they would go to the front desk and request the amount they wanted to give them, be taken from their onboard account. The front desk would then make out a paper (voucher) with the butlers name etc and amount that you had requested to leave them. Credit your on board account. Then you would put this paper (voucher) in an envelope and hand to your butler. Butler, concierge, kids crew can probably all be tipped this way.

Since this is not like gift certificates that just come in certain denominations, I can't think of what else you would use that service for.

Is there something in particular that you were hoping you could use this for?

Without knowing where you read about these vouchers or what vouchers you are talking about it is difficult to answer your question.

Regarding butlers and concierges tips. Suite passengers have stated instead of giving their butlers cash, they would go to the front desk and request the amount they wanted to give them, be taken from their onboard account. The front desk would then make out a paper (voucher) with the butlers name etc and amount that you had requested to leave them. Credit your on board account. Then you would put this paper (voucher) in an envelope and hand to your butler. Butler, concierge, kids crew can probably all be tipped this way.

Since this is not like gift certificates that just come in certain denominations, I can't think of what else you would use that service for.

Is there something in particular that you were hoping you could use this for?

Your answer is exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately, I read about "vouchers" so long ago I was not even sure how to ask the question properly. We will likely use the voucher approach as you have explained it for our butler and concierge tips. Thanks so much! NCL is a somewhat new cruising experience for us and we're learning how they do things.

You go to the reception desk (open 24/7) and ask for a 'gratuity voucher'. Some receptionists don't even know what they are, but just insist on getting a gratuity voucher. It is a small envelope-sized form. The top copy is white, middle is yellow, bottom is pink. You can take them to your room and fill them out at your leisure, but many clerks will tell you that you must fill them out then and there. Inaccurate information.

Once you have filled out the voucher, turn it in to the reception desk. They will fill in the cruise # and give you the pink copy, which is basically your receipt. You then have the option of giving the top, white copy to the crew member yourself or having the reception desk do it for you. The yellow is the accounting copy NCL uses to process the transaction.

The amount you give to the crew member posts to your onboard account as a charge just like anything else you charge while onboard. I prefer this method so I don't have to carry as much cash and the balance is charged to my credit card for which I get rewards.

As the name implies, they are strictly used to give tips to the crew.

Thank you, all!

I have been on 8 NCL cruises and this is the first time I have heard about the ability to do the tips this way. :o

Last trip I wanted to tip the conceirge more but didn't have enough with me. I was bummed. The Voucher system would have helped me.

You go to the reception desk (open 24/7) and ask for a 'gratuity voucher'. Some receptionists don't even know what they are, but just insist on getting a gratuity voucher. It is a small envelope-sized form. The top copy is white, middle is yellow, bottom is pink. You can take them to your room and fill them out at your leisure, but many clerks will tell you that you must fill them out then and there. Inaccurate information.

Once you have filled out the voucher, turn it in to the reception desk. They will fill in the cruise # and give you the pink copy, which is basically your receipt. You then have the option of giving the top, white copy to the crew member yourself or having the reception desk do it for you. The yellow is the accounting copy NCL uses to process the transaction.

The amount you give to the crew member posts to your onboard account as a charge just like anything else you charge while onboard. I prefer this method so I don't have to carry as much cash and the balance is charged to my credit card for which I get rewards.

As the name implies, they are strictly used to give tips to the crew.

Great post. And I thank you as well. Great detail, I now know exactly how to approach this. We're down to counting hours until we depart. Always a good feeling!

we used the vouchers to add on to the other cash tips we gave the butler, room steward and to recognize some other special employees when we ran out of cash. Very easy to do, the one thing is employees have to report those tips to the irs- technically they are suppossed to report cash too but...

in the end I think cash is preferred but if you want to go over and above I can't imagine anyone turning down a voucher.

we used the vouchers to add on to the other cash tips we gave the butler, room steward and to recognize some other special employees when we ran out of cash. Very easy to do, the one thing is employees have to report those tips to the irs- technically they are suppossed to report cash too but...

in the end I think cash is preferred but if you want to go over and above I can't imagine anyone turning down a voucher.

The employees on all NCL ships except for POA do not report to the IRS because they don't work on US ships. Their wages and tips are not taxed by the US. All monies received through the vouchers goes to them in full.

Archived