Uniworld-Paris Normandy

travelhelp

We are on this cruise in May and would love some tips and opinions on some personal things people have done on this trip. Were the optional tours worth it....did you go on your own in some of the towns..did you make use of their bikes.....what did you like and what was just so-so. We've done one other river cruise about 7 years ago and didn't venture out on our own much and we loved it.

We took the Uniworld Normandy/Paris cruise last year in June. It was wonderful. All of the included tours are in the morning and we would go back to the boat for lunch and then go back to the villages on our own.

The Normandy Beaches which is included and is all day will be the highlight of this cruise for you. Take a camera with lots of battery power. Included is Giverny (home of Monet and his gardens) not to be missed. We did two optional tours. Vesailles was the first optional tour and we would recommend this tour. Watch the old film (Maria Antoinette) before you go and you will have a deep appreciation of the King's Palace. We rented the film from our library. Our second optional tour was "The Louvre" in Paris. It was a wise decision to go with a guide as we were able to enter immediately and see all the highlights in one afternoon.

We did not use the bikes.

I think Uniworld is now adding on a precruise stay in Paris. It was optional when we went last year. However, we stayed in Paris on our own for three days prior to the cruise. Those three days were absolutely marvelous. If you are interested in doing Paris on your own Uniworld might give you a price for just the cruise minus the prestay in Paris. It is much

cheaper to do it on your own with some good planning.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

We also did Paris/Normandy with Uniworld - and truly enjoyed it.

We did the optional to Versailles - and it was great. I had been before, but DH had not. I enjoyed it just as much the 2nd time.

Absolutely loved Giverny... it was very surreal to stand on the Japanese bridge in Monet's garden. While in Paris, we visited the Orangerie to see the original canvases of the water lillies. It really tied everything in together.

magoosmom - my suggestion would be to look at both itineraries and see if there are differences. Not sure if you get Honfleur with Avalon - but we really enjoyed our visit there, and are glad it was included.

If itineraries are similar, then I would like at available dates and prices. I have not travelled with Avalon (yet) but we have friends that have and truly enjoyed their experience. Not sure if this helps.

Fran

When I last checked in with Uniworld to give them our airline info, I asked if the ship was full...they said yes....but of course, full payment has not been made yet. So...check it out so you're not disappointed if you elect this particular date.

Sunny

We spent New Years on Uniworld's Parisian Winter Holiday which also went to Les Andelys and Rouen but did not go to Giverny, Honfleur, or the Beaches. We did, however, go to Versailles, which your trip I think does not. It was very crowded at Versailles during the holidays, and we would have been better off going to Giverny or Honfleur, which are gorgeous and less Disney-like. Do you happen to know which hotel you will be staying at in Paris? On your trip in May, I think you need to first of all, find out how much free time you will have in Paris before and after the cruise, and plan your activities ahead of time so you don't flounder around or end up sitting on the boat. For example, decide if you should get a Museum Pass ( the answer is yes if you plan on going to more than one museum, to avoid long lines especially at the Louvre, Orangerie, Orsay, and Rodin Museums.) but even if you don't go to any museums, try to narrow down ahead of time, what parts of Paris you want to see so you don't just walk around where the shuttle bus drops you off. Other travelers may also have an opinion how to best experience Paris in terms of a river cruise.

Your current Flash Player is outdated or it is not installed on your system. Download the latest Flash Player.

Your browser does not have JavaScript enabled, this is required to load the Flash content.

The Theme file used to generate this site may be missing the required JavaScript to launch the Flash player.

Campanilla Compound

L*U*X*U*R*Y* C*O*N*D*O*M*I*N*I*U*M*S

Enjoy the setting of the old Southwest when you visit Campanilla Compound. We are four blocks from the historic Santa Fe Plaza, Cathedral of St. Francis of Assisi, the Mission of San Miguel of Santa Fe, the Loretto Chapel, the Fine Arts Museum and the Palace of the Governors museum. Within 10 to 15 miles, enjoy golf, tennis, white-water rafting, horseback riding and snow skiing. Modern luxury and authentic architectural detailing combine to make each of Campanilla Compound's 15 units a delightful location for your most memorable Santa Fe vacation. Relax in homes that feature a kiva fireplace in both living rooms and bedrooms, a full kitchen, pueblo style plastered walls and flagstone walkways. Relax under the stars or in the shade of the lush landscaping.* Read a book near the fountain and enjoy the gentle sound of flowing water.* Patios are private and quiet, and gas grills are on-site.* Santa Fe is a magical land of enchanting light, glorious color and graceful architecture. Campanilla Compound captures the essence of Santa Fe.* Make this your vacation destination. Campanilla Compound - It is what you imagined Santa Fe to be.

Come celebrate Santa Fe’s

400th Birthday

Call Us @

1-800-828-9700

& Book Early

Campanilla Compound- Luxury Condominiums in the heart of Santa Fe*>*

I don't know how the Santa Fe NM stuff got mixed into my reply. I must have pressed a wrong button while I was passionate about Paris! Sorry....or then again, we can always go to the Campanilla Compound in the future! More info about the Normandy itinerary to follow in the coming days.....Steven

My wife and I were on this cruise in June 2011. Don't miss Honfleur. It was one of the highlights of the entire trip. Great little town.

We took the bikes out most mornings before the walking tours started. It was a good way to see the towns and burn off some of the great meals Uniworld provides.

When I asked about the hotel Uniworld was using, I was told it was the Raddison Ambassador Blu. Do you know what is in that area and what is easy to see and do from there?
Radisson Blu is in the Opera district, and we found it to be quite convenient and comfortable. It's easy to get to the Metro from there, and the Metro was our complete transportation solution all the time we were in Paris. Buy the multi-day pass for a very comfortable and economical way to get everywhere in the city.

On the other hand, if you want your hotel to be directly in the middle of everything with nightlife and restaurants, this would not be the hotel for you.

My wife and I took this cruise last summer and loved every minute. Wish we had had the time to continue on to the southern France cruise, but that's something to look forward to another year. We took none of the optional excursions, finding it much more enjoyable to use the free time to explore our environs. My wife had been to Versailles before, and didn't particularly enjoy the experience of seeing luxurious excess of French nobility. But each to his own.

Travelhelp, the Radisson Ambassador Blu appears to be in the Opera Quarter on Blvd. Haussmann which puts you in close proximity to some incredible sights and neighborhoods. You will be amongst Les Grands Boulevards with all their "passages" or delightful narrow shopping arcades. Also on Haussmann are the 2 famous department stores, Galeries Lafayette and Printemps, both of which have inexpensive cafes on the top floor with stunning views of the old Opera district. And you will be a few blocks from the magnificent Opera de Paris Garnier, which took my breath away even more than Vienna's! Across from the opera house you can spend hours sitting outside sipping a cappuccino at the famous Cafe de la Paix for incredible people-watching. You are also a few blocks from Place de la Madeleine with it's imposing large church which frequently has classical music concerts, and the elegant Place Vendome where the first Ritz was. And just when you thought you could relax, I have to tell you that you are a straight shot from the Louvre and Musee d'Orsay across the bridge from there. My God, you won't even need a Metro pass! You could walk or take a short cab ride almost anywhere from there...If you are staying there, I think Uniworld has done well with this location giving you a good slice of Parisian life in a central location.

I loved Paris. We were there in the first week of September and I don't think any month is a "bad month" to be in Paris. May I recommend the Hotel Eiffel Seine. We found it to be a good 3 star Hotel within a short walk of the Tour Eiffel and all the restaurants, patisseries and supermarkets you could ask for AND the best thing is it's opposite the Bir Hakem rail station that puts all of Paris at your doorstep. For what it's worth it is also well recommended on Tripadvisor.

We also stayed at the Hotel Eiffel Seine. Great hotel with reasonable rates. They have a great website. If you stay there, get a

Club room, as it offers a larger bed and little bigger room. We were there precruise in June of last year. Also near the boat-a-bus on the Seine river which was 18 Euros for a three day pass. Hop on/off at all major attractions. We stayed in Paris on a Thurs, Fri, and Sat. On Mondays and I believe Tuesdays a lot of the museums and shops are closed. So better to avoid those days.

We took the Uniworld Grand France Cruise last year.

On the top of the screen in the search field, type in

Grand France and you will see our review and many others.

Ours was written Aug 17th. If you have any specific questions

we would be happy to respond.

I can tell you the cruise was wonderful!!!

Brandy

Archived