Norwegian Air Shuttle vs Vueling?

World Gallery

We are researching new flight options since Spanair just went out of business. Our Spanair flights were June 15th, nonstop and we are hoping for the same, June 15th, nonstop from Barcelona to Copenhagen (for family of 7).

Thanks to people here on CC, I see that Vueling and Norwegian Air Shuttle are non-stop options (are there other good options/). I went to their websites and can't find a customer service number anywhere. Does anyone know how to contact either one? Do they have a US number? I know this may sound silly to frequent flyers, but can I book online using my US based credit card company? For Spanair, it went through their AZ office but I don't see US offices for either of these.

Does anyone have experience with either airline, good or bad? Any chance either one of these will suddenly file bankruptcy? I tried to find out what type of plane or size of plane for flights I saw but it wasn't listed. Just a little more cautious now but at least I still have time and this didn't happen last minute.

Thanks.

Does anyone have experience with either airline, good or bad? Any chance either one of these will suddenly file bankruptcy? I tried to find out what type of plane or size of plane for flights I saw but it wasn't listed. Just a little more cautious now but at least I still have time and this didn't happen last minute.

As I said in the other thread, Norwegian looks very solid, not in any risk of bankruptcy. Not that there are any rumors of problems with Vueling, but still, Norwegian has almost 300 aircraft on order (including the new Boeing 787, although you would not be flying those) and that should say something about their financial condition and financial backing.

Yes, this is helpful with the decision.

Is there a US number to call and booked with Norwegian Air Bus or must I book online? I have searched their website and they have contact centers in 6 countries but not the US? Can Americans book online just like a European, same process?

Vueling is a good airline. I simply book on-line using my U.S. credit card. NOte that the luggage allowance is smaller than what most North Americans are used to and the excess weight fees are substantial. I've never flown Norwegian Air Shuttle but check out both airlines luggage allowance and fees before making a decision.

As I said in the other thread, Norwegian looks very solid, not in any risk of bankruptcy. Not that there are any rumors of problems with Vueling, but still, Norwegian has almost 300 aircraft on order (including the new Boeing 787, although you would not be flying those) and that should say something about their financial condition and financial backing.

I don't know anything about Norwegian's financials one way or another. But aircraft orders have little to do with an airline's financial health. Many airlines have folded with large orders on the books (some were overly bullish and expanded too rapidly). And AA placed a huge order with Boeing and Airbus while rumored to be on the verge of declaring bankruptcy- which they did soon afterwards...of course AA is just reorganizing, not liquidating.

An aircraft order is simply a delivery position on the assembly line. When the manufacturers have a backlog of orders, the place in line has intrinsic worth and can be sold to other airlines who want an earlier delivery. There are even cases of one airline selling plane(s) to another airline while it's on the assembly line! Additionally, "bulk" orders from airlines often include options....which means they don't have to commit to the order until sometime in the future.

Yes, this is helpful with the decision.

Is there a US number to call and booked with Norwegian Air Bus or must I book online? I have searched their website and they have contact centers in 6 countries but not the US? Can Americans book online just like a European, same process?

There is likely no US number. Still, for $0.50 you can call them on Skype for 20 minutes, and in 20 minutes you are likely to get any question answered. From their website, call their Norwegian number at +4721490015 (Skype format). If dialing from a US landline, dial 011-47-21-490015

I would still recommend booking online, especially because of the chance of errors by spelling names over the phone to a foreign speaker. Yes, Americans should be able to book through the web site just like a European. If you have any trouble let me know and I can assist, as a European.

I don't know anything about Norwegian's financials one way or another.

But you can. Norwegian is a publicly traded company on the Oslo Stock Exchange (ticker symbol NAS). They disclose their financials on a regular basis, and all is there very clear, in English even. Just because you don't know doesn't mean that you can't know. If World Gallery wants to know the company financials, the info is there. They are profitable, and their next big debt payment is not until December 2012, well after the June trip.

But aircraft orders have little to do with an airline's financial health.

OK, then you do this. You call up Boeing on their 800 number and place an order for 122 aircraft (or even 1 aircraft), for delivery in 2016. If they ask how you intend to pay, you may tell them you may not have the money yet, but surely by 2016 (when you take delivery) you will have the money, so just put the order in please. Let's see how fast you get laughed out.

My point: when aircraft manufacturers take orders, they do a thorough check of the buyer's financial ability to perform on the contract. They are not going to just take the order, make plans to increase production, expand factories, hire workers, all for some ficticious order. Sure, occasionally they are wrong, but not that wrong on a 200+ aircraft order. This is huge. Even Alcoa is building a new plant in Indiana to ramp up production of aluminum to meet such orders. You don't think these people believe the order is real?

There is likely no US number. Still, for $0.50 you can call them on Skype for 20 minutes, and in 20 minutes you are likely to get any question answered. From their website, call their Norwegian number at +4721490015 (Skype format). If dialing from a US landline, dial 011-47-21-490015

I would still recommend booking online, especially because of the chance of errors by spelling names over the phone to a foreign speaker. Yes, Americans should be able to book through the web site just like a European. If you have any trouble let me know and I can assist, as a European.

That makes sense about the spelling of the names. The reason I wasn't sure if I could book online (as an American) is because on their main homepage, you have to click your country's flag to get into the site and there is no US flag, just British. I guess it is for language purposes. I will be trying to book soon so I guess I will find out if it is possible as I try to enter in our information. Is passport number required to book? I didn't get that far since I was only checking prices.

Thanks.

That makes sense about the spelling of the names. The reason I wasn't sure if I could book online (as an American) is because on their main homepage, you have to click your country's flag to get into the site and there is no US flag, just British. I guess it is for language purposes. I will be trying to book soon so I guess I will find out if it is possible as I try to enter in our information. Is passport number required to book? I didn't get that far since I was only checking prices.

Thanks.

When you get to selecting country, I recommend you select the EU flag (blue with a circle of yellow stars). It will be in English language, but will keep your quote in euros. If you go British it might try to convert to pounds, and you could be losing in the conversion euros -> pounds -> dollars.

I very much doubt that passport number is needed, since passport is not required for travel between Spain and Denmark (except in exceptional circumstances).

This post only applies to Vueling (which have used a couple of times) & it's in reference to the luggage.

Not only excessive weight charges are outrageous but additional pieces as well, ranging roughly around US$100 per additional piece.

In addition the carry-on measurement & weights allowed are not the usual american standard.

Usually these rules are strictly enforced... so pack accordinly, be aware of this so you wont be as I was unpleasantly surprised with those charges.

I think if you have a status level with their partner group alliance (which I do not know if Vueling has one) those rules will be different.

Check on their website for more information.

Archived