Will we like Costa?

jimbug

Hello,

As someone who has been on only 2 Princess cruises, and my mom (traveling companion) one 1 Princess cruise, we are looking to branch out a bit for our next trip in March 2006. We are currently booked on the NCL Sun for the Western Caribbean out of New Orleans, but the prices on the Costa Magica are way better than the Sun for that week...plus I like the Magica's itinerary a lot better (Key West, Cozumel, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman).

I'm not so much worried about the negative food reviews I've heard about Costa (we're not there for the food anyhow), but I am just curious about the atmosphere in general. Will it be too "European" (i.e., vastly different from the US-mass market cruise experience?)? What about the smoke? I hear that Costa has more smoking areas than other lines, and that may end up being a problem. Any thoughts on any of these issues? Any input is definitely appreciated! Thank you!

My wife and I have done RCCL, NCL, HOLLAND, AND PRINCESS. We were sceptical but tried Costa due to the price and their cleanliness reviews. We were so pleased. We don't go on cruises to make friends. We go on cruises to get away from it and be left alone. That's exactly what happened. Superior ship, cabin, service, and food (in our opinion). We liked it so much we booked another next year the day after we returned. Try it - you'll like it.

We too have been on Princess. We loved Costa too and also booked again for this year. The itineraries are great and you seem to get more stops than on other lines. I'm sure you'll enjoy. We too loved the food better than Princess (just our opinion too!!!) The suites are great, great ships, great service.

I love Costa and I think you will too. And the food's not as bad as it's made out to be. Our food was great. The atmosphere is nice, the people go out of their way to be helpful and pleasant and it has great ports-of-call.

Book it and enjoy it. The choice is yours to make --- as is your enjoyment of it once you board. I find my enjoyment of something is directly related to my state of mind. If I want to enjoy it, I will. If I want to find fault with it, I will do that also --- not saying that you are aiming in that direction. I truly think you'll have a great trip on Costa. But I do feel that a lot of the complaints we read about ALL The cruise lines on this board are relatively petty in the overall scheme of things. Most problems are minor and can be adjusted to or walked away from.

Look forward to hearing how you like your cruise --- on either cruiseline. :)

I have been on many cruises (all different lines). I really like Costa! It is a fun atmosphere. My favorite for food is Celebrity and my favorite all around is Princess but Costa still is great! The smoke is not a problem. Sure there are smoking areas in the bars but all ships have those. Sometimes when you walk through the bar you may smell smoke but you are just passing through. The service and cleanliness of the ships is first rate. Go with an open mind and you will have a good time. You will enjoy!

Archived