Expenses on a cruise

Erex

Smoking is a subject that arouses the passions of those on Cruise Critic.

However, there are designated smoking areas on Seabourn ships and smoking is allowed on your veranda and, I believe, in your suite.

I think this will ALL be changing sometime in 2012 or early 2013 as they just made these changes on HAL as of Jan 2012.

Smoking is a subject that arouses the passions of those on Cruise Critic.

However, there are designated smoking areas on Seabourn ships and smoking is allowed on your veranda and, I believe, in your suite.

Thank you. Don't want to turn it into a smoking debate, just wanted to make sure it was not totally smoke free. And I am OK with it to only have outdoor smoking. Haven't been smoking inside since the early 90's (Actually sitting outside now with my tablet in -5 celsius :)

Cheers, Atle

We went on our first Seabourn cruise in September and found the expenses hugely less than on previous (Princess and Cunard) cruises. We got a referral coupon, and welcomed our $400 OBC, and actually failed to spend it! OK, I think there was only $12 or so left over, but the last evening found us in the ship's shop debating how many Toblerone bars to buy! For various reasons we chose not to go on any tours (we wanted complete relaxation) and just pottered around the various ports (it was Greek Islands and Dalmation coast) so the main expense was just the occasional meal shoreside (and sometimes we came back on board for lunch as the food was better than that we saw in the port, sometimes we ate 'out') and a very few souvenirs. On board we bought some internet access, I had one visit to the Spa and bought some goodies there.

All food is free - even if you want 'extras' like canapes in your cabin before dinner; all but the most premium drinks are free - even champagne, and your cabin fridge will be stocked with two bottles of spirits of your choice (not just those on the limited list). Wines with dinner and lunch are OK, not the 'fine wines' they say, but we always found something acceptable, if we didn't like the first one poured another was always offered. There are 'premium' wine packages, but it doesn't sound as if you will go for these. There is no charge for dining at any of the venues, and coffees and cakes, and ice-creams are always available during the day in Seabourn Square. You can even have anything from the dining room menu served in your cabin (course by course), again no extra charge.

Tipping is not expected, the service charges are all included in your fair. We did leave a few Euros for our suite attendant, as she was a delight and very helpful, but that was all.

Smoking is allowed in designated areas, and for our trip was generally fairly discrete, other than one area where the cigar smokers seemed to congregate, and that was the only place we found the smoke drifting onto the non-smoking areas.

So, all in all I think you should be able to persuade your wife that you will SAVE money by going on this cruise! OK, that may not be true, but it will certainly be much easier to budget: as you won't have any tours on a TA cruise your only expenses should be internet access, Spa visist and very occasional forays into the shop - all potentially within your $400 OBC.

We went on our first Seabourn cruise in September and found the expenses hugely less than on previous (Princess and Cunard) cruises. We got a referral coupon, and welcomed our $400 OBC, and actually failed to spend it! OK, I think there was only $12 or so left over, but the last evening found us in the ship's shop debating how many Toblerone bars to buy! For various reasons we chose not to go on any tours (we wanted complete relaxation) and just pottered around the various ports (it was Greek Islands and Dalmation coast) so the main expense was just the occasional meal shoreside (and sometimes we came back on board for lunch as the food was better than that we saw in the port, sometimes we ate 'out') and a very few souvenirs. On board we bought some internet access, I had one visit to the Spa and bought some goodies there.

All food is free - even if you want 'extras' like canapes in your cabin before dinner; all but the most premium drinks are free - even champagne, and your cabin fridge will be stocked with two bottles of spirits of your choice (not just those on the limited list). Wines with dinner and lunch are OK, not the 'fine wines' they say, but we always found something acceptable, if we didn't like the first one poured another was always offered. There are 'premium' wine packages, but it doesn't sound as if you will go for these. There is no charge for dining at any of the venues, and coffees and cakes, and ice-creams are always available during the day in Seabourn Square. You can even have anything from the dining room menu served in your cabin (course by course), again no extra charge.

Tipping is not expected, the service charges are all included in your fair. We did leave a few Euros for our suite attendant, as she was a delight and very helpful, but that was all.

Smoking is allowed in designated areas, and for our trip was generally fairly discrete, other than one area where the cigar smokers seemed to congregate, and that was the only place we found the smoke drifting onto the non-smoking areas.

So, all in all I think you should be able to persuade your wife that you will SAVE money by going on this cruise! OK, that may not be true, but it will certainly be much easier to budget: as you won't have any tours on a TA cruise your only expenses should be internet access, Spa visist and very occasional forays into the shop - all potentially within your $400 OBC.

Thank you for a good description.

I am still not quite there, but I will probably get there.

I know that I have more or less won when she starts to use my arguments :D

Cheers, Atle

I would check smoking regulations for the time you wish to cruise as they may change them regarding smoking on balconies. Worth asking if that's important to you. Just be aware that the smoke from your balcony will travel to your neighbors'.

I would check smoking regulations for the time you wish to cruise as they may change them regarding smoking on balconies. Worth asking if that's important to you. Just be aware that the smoke from your balcony will travel to your neighbors'.

Well, as long as the ship is not smokefree I am OK :)

Cheers,Atle

Also, the FREE "massage moments" which are very nice! Inquire in the Spa as to times & location these are offered ~(usually twice a day)

I take advantage of quick neck/back massages during the TA Crossings ~ especially if there is 'motion on the ocean;)

Martita B

Also, the FREE "massage moments" which are very nice! Inquire in the Spa as to times & location these are offered ~(usually twice a day)

I take advantage of quick neck/back massages during the TA Crossings ~ especially if there is 'motion on the ocean;)

Martita B

That would be perfect for my wife. Maybe that will be one more spa threatment less. (But if they are really good, I dobt it ;)

Cheers, Atle

Smoking is a contentious issue, so would suggest not on your balcony. As that appears to upset non-smokers. There are a couple of places that is "legal":)

That is OK with me most of the time. I am an early riser and I tend to go "upstairs" with my Kindle, coffee and smoke. There are two reasons for that. One is that I normally meet people there and the other is that I don't want to disturb my wife. I never know what kind of night she has had and she can be late.

We've always had balcony. Not for the smoking, but because we often enjoy sitting outside in "private" without needing to be "social". It can be tireing to speak/listen to another language all the time, so it is nice to sometime retreat somewhere where we can be alone and using our native language.

What I find surprising is that I normally don't see/hear people close to us (Apart from when in port) On our last TA crossing, I never saw/heard any of the two neighbors outside during sea days.

Cheers, Atle

Like yours, my wife uses a wheelchair but can get, for example , from the bed to the bathroom supporting herself by the walls, etc, We cruised on Sojourn last year and found the public areas easy to get around. We found that as we went into the restaurants we were descended upon by staff eager to help. Being a relatively small ship, there are no long corridors to negotiate, no steps and plenty of elevator (lift) room. Don't hesitate as far as facilities for people with mobility issues,

Like yours, my wife uses a wheelchair but can get, for example , from the bed to the bathroom supporting herself by the walls, etc, We cruised on Sojourn last year and found the public areas easy to get around. We found that as we went into the restaurants we were descended upon by staff eager to help. Being a relatively small ship, there are no long corridors to negotiate, no steps and plenty of elevator (lift) room. Don't hesitate as far as facilities for people with mobility issues,

Thank you for the information. Main reason for asking, is that we had a trip on Azamara and the doors out to the deck was impossible to navigate alone. The combination of heavy doors and steep ramp was difficult even with me pushing. Of course there were no problem getting help as long as someone was around, be it crew or guests.

Cheers, Atle

Thank you for the information. Main reason for asking, is that we had a trip on Azamara and the doors out to the deck was impossible to navigate alone. The combination of heavy doors and steep ramp was difficult even with me pushing. Of course there were no problem getting help as long as someone was around, be it crew or guests.

Cheers, Atle

Yes, those doors can be difficult. On Sojourn there are retaining hooks which you can use to keep the door open and the ramps are not too bad. Actually the staff to passenger ratio means that there is usually someone around who anticipates your need.

Yes, those doors can be difficult. On Sojourn there are retaining hooks which you can use to keep the door open and the ramps are not too bad. Actually the staff to passenger ratio means that there is usually someone around who anticipates your need.

Sounds like you have been on Azamara?

How is Seabourn/Sojourn compared to Azamara?

Sounds like you have been on Azamara?

How is Seabourn/Sojourn compared to Azamara?

No. I haver never been on Azamara. My cruising line of choice is actually Regent but I did try Sojourn last year on a cruise out of Southampton. It was really very good but I marginally prefer the slighly larger Regent ships with more restaurant choice and bigger public areas. Like Seabourn, Regent is all-inclusive, even including excursions.

No. I haver never been on Azamara. My cruising line of choice is actually Regent but I did try Sojourn last year on a cruise out of Southampton. It was really very good but I marginally prefer the slighly larger Regent ships with more restaurant choice and bigger public areas. Like Seabourn, Regent is all-inclusive, even including excursions.

Yeah, heard that the excursions are also included. And that is the reason why I haven't even looked at it. Since we very seldom know up front if we (As in my wife) is good enough to actually go on an excursion, I kind of don't want to pay "extra".

That and the fact that any luxury cruiseline is normally well over my budget ;)

Yeah, heard that the excursions are also included. And that is the reason why I haven't even looked at it. Since we very seldom know up front if we (As in my wife) is good enough to actually go on an excursion, I kind of don't want to pay "extra".

That and the fact that any luxury cruiseline is normally well over my budget ;)

I understand. We look for itineraries which have plenty of sea days. Transatlantic crossings are superb. Good activities during the days at sea. Actually one of our favourite cruises was on Regent Voyager up the coast of Norway to Honningsvag. Our Captain was a Norwegian and he pulled in to his home village on a fjiord and invited us all to Champagne and strawberries on his lawn, meeting his wife (and dog).

I understand. We look for itineraries which have plenty of sea days. Transatlantic crossings are superb. Good activities during the days at sea. Actually one of our favourite cruises was on Regent Voyager up the coast of Norway to Honningsvag. Our Captain was a Norwegian and he pulled in to his home village on a fjiord and invited us all to Champagne and strawberries on his lawn, meeting his wife (and dog).

Some goes to all kind of trouble just to get home visiting their wife :p

I guess that is something you will never forget :)

We were on the Quest this last September in suite 617 and I noticed that the suite next door 619 was wheelchair friendly, wider doorway and different configuration in the hallway. I am not sure about the setup in the bathroom but on the smaller ships the disabled suites have a shower only and not a bath.

OrpingtonT

The Captain on your Norway sailing was Captain "Dag" ~he's now with Seabourn and in fact is presently Mastering the Seabourn Spirit ~in the Caribbean.

I've not sailed with him but have heard many nice things about him ~thought he'd be Captain on the Spirit March TA but Captain David Bathgate (Scottish) will Master.

Martita B

We were on the Quest this last September in suite 617 and I noticed that the suite next door 619 was wheelchair friendly, wider doorway and different configuration in the hallway. I am not sure about the setup in the bathroom but on the smaller ships the disabled suites have a shower only and not a bath.

Thanks for the info. Still haven't found any links that shows available cabins.

I assumed that most doors on veranda suits were of the small type. Nice to hear that there exists some additionals thar are wider. We need one that are minimum 70 cm. Or fold the chair.

OrpingtonT

The Captain on your Norway sailing was Captain "Dag" ~he's now with Seabourn and in fact is presently Mastering the Seabourn Spirit ~in the Caribbean.

I've not sailed with him but have heard many nice things about him ~thought he'd be Captain on the Spirit March TA but Captain David Bathgate (Scottish) will Master.

Martita B

Yes, we have sailed with him a few times and got to know him quite well. He is a real gentleman. Spirit was alongside us when we were in port on Regent Mariner last November and we were going across to say hello but we were told Dag was on leave at that time. Seabourn have a star there.

Archived