Need Help with Excursion Choice

zookiebird

DW and will be visiting Dominica for the first time in mid March, 8:00 - 4:00.

We've booked a 3 hour river tubing excursion in the morning. If we take that trip will we have time to do some exploring in the early afternoon, like maybe to Trafalfar Falls? Dominica looks so beautiful that we're considering cancelling the river tubing for something more comprehensive. Any ideas? Many thanks.

Make sure you see the countryside! It is amazing! We took a tour with Martin Alexander with Exodus tours. He was fun, friendly, had refreshments for us, took us to some great places that were less traveled. He will take you where ever you want to go, but we just gave him some ideas of what we would like to see. We saw falls, hot springs, ate fruit (he stopped and purchased from roadside vendors) went through the Botanical gardens. He knows the island very well and gives a great lesson as you drive. You can Google him, he has a website.

DW and will be visiting Dominica for the first time in mid March, 8:00 - 4:00.

We've booked a 3 hour river tubing excursion in the morning. If we take that trip will we have time to do some exploring in the early afternoon, like maybe to Trafalfar Falls? Dominica looks so beautiful that we're considering cancelling the river tubing for something more comprehensive. Any ideas? Many thanks.

If your ship departs at 4 then you will need to be back on the ship by 3:30 I would think. Only ship excursion are allowed to visit Trafalgar Falls before 2pm so that might be something to consider.

Thanks for the advice xtianmom, will check it out. If you don't mind my asking is there one or two absolute "don't miss" things?

I would recommend Emerald pool early, before it gets packed. The water is cold, but is was fun to take a dip! We also went to some hot springs that were not the usual Screws Spa. It was nearby. The water was high in iron, so not very attractive, but felt good. There were some old bathtubs with hot water running into them, true "hot tubs". We enjoyed this, but it is very natural, certainly not commercial. It you like adventure, you might like these "off the beaten path" stops. Martin accompanied us and gave us some great facts about the horticulture and produce.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is what we did. The River Tubing looked very tame, we passed while in Layou and I don't think you will see very much doing that, it apparently eats up a lot of time with getting outfitted, safety drill all that. You may be better seeing the island's natural beauty - this is truly my favourite Caribbean island ever.

Recently returned from Dominica (Port of Call on the Noordam) and had an AWESOME tour with Bennett (Ben) Senhouse. Ben was great. We were a group of 4, in port from 8-3:30 and we told him we wanted to spend the WHOLE time seeing the beauty of Dominica (no shopping). He suggested Layou River Valley, Emerald Pool, Titou Gorge and the Hot Springs\Mudbaths of Wotten Waven. Ben did not disappoint us. He made sure we were not arriving at the same time as the big groups from the ship, allowed us as much time as we wanted at each stop and was very knowledgeable about his countries flora, fauna and history. Would highly recommend him.

http://www.********************/about-us.html

choicetaxidm@hotmail.com

hladygirl - did you take a regular tour that included Screws Spa or did you all just go as a group via taxi? Do you recall how much transportation was?

We are trying to figure out the best ways to do Screws and see a bit more of the scenery as well when we are there in a couple of weeks.

I would like to recommend you look into a tour with Levi of Bumpiing Tours. We chose the Roseau Valley Treasures tour. Levi and his group were easy to find at the port. Straight shot right off the ship. The tour included snorkeling at Champagne Reef, a visit to Titou Gorge and Trafalgar Falls with a soak in the hot springs. There was also a stop at Morne Bruce for pictures and driving through the Botanical Gardens.

The weather the day we were in Dominica was rainy on and off. Snorkeling at Champagne Reef was amazing. Lots to see and Levi was quick to point out things to look at and stirring up the fish so we had a lot to see. Then off to Titou Gorge. The water was very cold but so worth it. Definitely jump off the falls if you can! I would have regretted not doing it. Then off the Trafalgar Falls. They are beautiful and the sulphur springs were a great way to end our "wet" day.

Levi made sure that at every stop there was a minimum of people already there so we could have the best experience. He was very informative through out the day. Stopped at a lot of places for picture taking. Water, juice and local beer were provided for us all day. Our group had 11 people I think. Very personal! Levi does recommend that you wear hiking/water shoes like Keens or Merrills. Definitely invest in a pair. There is some hinking and the surfaces in a lot of areas are uneven. DH and I both bought Keens and I could not have been happier with them.

With no ships going to Dominica, make the most of your visit there. Get out and see this beautiful island. I will say, if shopping is your idea of a great port, Dominica will not do it for you. If you like to get out there and see the untouched beauty of places, Dominica will be a favorite port of yours.

-Kristi

Archived