Just off the Epic today. My two cents...

cnssu123

Great job comparing each cruise line. For the most part, I agree with you on just about everything. But I do have to say, Carnival has some of the best food in our opinion of all the cruise lines.

Thanks. =) my next big post will be on the food.

So to continue, I will try to compare the three ships Dream, Oasis and Epic.

Entertainment:

We saw blue man group, the magician comedy and some game shows. BF not a drinker, so we opt out for the ice bar. I have never seen blue man group before, even though I live in NY. I love the shows, it was amazing. Got a lot of good laughs. BF saw it before and said 90% of the shows are pretty much the same with a 10% twist. We saw a video in a room later, about the work behind the shows, which shows how much effort was put forth on the show itself.

The Magician Comedian was okay. He was funny at times, but I feel that he use the same jokes over and over again, which is kindda overkill. For his final acts, BF got invited up on stage, and told me how he did it, which I think is kindda cool. I won't be the spoiler :)

To compare with Oasis of the Sea, overall I think Epic wins in the entertainment department. And during my 12 days Jewel cruise, not sure if its due to the fact we are on long cruise, so we get better varieties entertainment wise, like magician and hypnotist. Other RCL and Carnival ships are just the regular singing and comedy acts, which is nice but tends to get boring after the same acts over and over.

However, I think the Water Acrobatic show in the Oasis is way cooler, versus in the EPIC, you have to pay for the acrobatic show, and there's more free entertainments on the Oasis than Epic.

I also have to commend Carnvial still making its own production, rather than bringing in outside help (Blue Man Group and Epic and Hairspray on Oasis). Dancing on the Street on the Carnival Dream was very impressive and this is coming from someone who don't care much about dancing shows. We also like the comedy clubs (but I guess all three ships have the same concept with the Comedian these days.)

Other activities:

The water slides, I had fun with the plunge slide, I especially the the ideal of using a tube. The water slides on Carnival Dream is much more fun, cuz they are longer, but thier plunge pool does not use tube, and BF complained before his skin turn red from touch the slide with not enough water at certain place.

Pools, I was suprise to see a ship as big as epic, only has three small pools and minimal amount of jacuzzi, even with Spice H2O, the deck is way too crowded. Maybe the water park took up too much space, there were simply not enough lounge chairs around, and this is just worse with the hogger situation. I found the Epic has the worst pool/ jacuzzi layout. (Of course, I am not rich enough to get the Haven Suite, i guess that might boost my review a little bit.

The Carnival Dream's pool is just puny, but they have jacuzzis spread out all over different part of the ships. And compared to the Epic, they have a lot more peacful place to sit out and not charge EXTRA for it

Oasis, has the best pools overall, they are well spreadout, large, and they have umbrellas for shade if necessary. I loved the Solarium area.

Overall, I think each ship has its pros and cons on the entertainment/ activities department. But for me, without the Blue Man Group, the Epic will not as much of a wow factor for me. And if I have to combined all the factors mentioned above, I think Oasis, hands down is the winner in that department. I just wished it has a water park like the Dream or the Epic.

Time for another break.

Just a question, what other entertainment do you have to pay for other than Cirque on Epic?

Just a question, what other entertainment do you have to pay for other than Cirque on Epic?

Murder Mystry, The Acrobatic show, Posh Pass ( vs. Dream and Oasis both have similar area that can enjoy piece and serenity without paying extra), Ice Bar (Yes I understand you get two drinks, but I don't believe in cover charge on a ship), Bowling. That's all I can think of for now.

:rolleyes::D

The elevators are only crowded during "rush hours: like beginining to end or port days, shows ends. We do found the elevators not so inteligent though, we have instances where two elevators will passed by, skipped us completely, before we can get on one. There's no logic as to which elevator you will get.

I also wish there's another set of elevator in the middle. Going forward of the ship, we you are in the cabin hallway, and not one of the public area, you will feel the walk never ends. Which is why I think it's very crucial to pick a location not too far from an elevator, that way, you can always walk in public areas.

We did not gain a pound on this ship....

Excellent review containing both positives and negatives. Thanks....

As for the vibrations felt aft, that's more common with conventional propulsion with propellers on shafts vs azipods. The 6 Star/Jewel class ships, plus the Pride of America, have azipods with NCL; the Sky, Sun, Spirit, and Epic use conventional shafts.

The Main Thrust Bearing for each shaft with conventional propulsion are located within the hull of the ship, whereas with azipods they're located outside the hull in the pod. Most of the vibrations are caused by collapsing bubbles as the propellers turn, which is cavitation, and the resulting opposing force causes the propellers to vibrate. That is felt by the shafts, and the thrust bearings, and eventually the hull of the ship. The closer you are to the thrust bearings, the easier it is to feel the vibrations. Thrust bearings aren't design to eliminate vibrations to the hull of the ship as much as they're designed to prevent damage to the shaft, other bearings, and the propellers.

If the thrust bearing weren't installed at all, the propellers would work their ways forwards, instead of propelling the ship forward.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavitation

DOH! I just wrote a good section about the food, when I was ready to post, I lost it...due to time out on my login and i hit the wrong button.

That's what happened when boss made me work 13 hours day after first day back from vaca....guess I will need to try it again tomorrow night...

Please remember if any crew member does not live up to your expectations..do something! Talk to the concierge or hotel director and things will change fast. No need to put up with it. You are paying for it.

• 7 months later...
Wow! I am in 11216 Feb. 4th. I hope I have a different stewart. What is his name and is there any other advise? Were the elevators as crowded as people say?

Just curious, how was 11216? We are booked in December. From Michigan too! Any pics?

We're going to be in 11252 on March 3rd. Wonder if we'll have the same steward. What's his name so I can be on the lookout for him?

It rattled? What do you mean by that?

My hubby is 6'4"--will his feet hang off the end of the bed?

We went on the Allure for our honeymoon last year. How did you like it and how does it compare to the Epic?

My hubby is 6'5 and yes, his feet most definitely hung off the bed. you can pull out the bed from the wall a little to give some more room.

I was in room 12310 (aft corner balcony) and you vibrate all night long. Like the OP said, it's similar to a vibrating chair. It was windy on our cruise so the ship rocked back and forth a lot too. It really bothered me, my husband, not so much.

At 6'4" your hubbys feet will be off the end of the bed. You can slight pull the bed out from the wall to gain an inch or so. My husband is 6'2 and I was always running into his feet because they hung over the bed.

I have heard this a lot, and I still dont get it. We had a corner AFT room on deck 11 - and only felt a vibration pulling back into Miami. Definitely not all night long, and I am an extremely light sleeper. We had rocking 1 night as well. That is to be expected though in the back of the ship. As for the bed, pull it out from the wall. His feet will probably still hang off tho. My husband is 6'5, and his feet did hang off the bed.

Archived