Grand Turk Diving and Snorkeling

loriepta

Any recommendations for companies in Grand Turk? Also we'd love to find a location for beach dives so while either my husband or i are diving with our oldest son, the other can be on the beach with the younger two.

If you google it, you will find a listing for a company there. The only problem I found is that it was rather expensive. I believe it was $150 for a two-tank dive. I rarely will use the ship's excursion to dive, but it actually is cheaper for us in March to do that. The other reason is that we leave at 2 pm and I want to make sure we get back on time.

We used Blue Water Divers and had a great dive !!!! Here is a link to their website...... btw - the wall dive was phenomenal !

http://www.grandturkscuba.com/

As for beach diving..... not sure that is an option. But the reef/wall is close to the shore. After our dive we opted to be dropped off on the beach fairly near the ship. We walked up the beach a bit and had fried conch and a cold beer !!! After that we walked right onto the ship. So perhaps that could be an option.....

Enjoy !

That's the one I was looking at. Anyone know who HAL uses there? It's a $20 difference between Blue Water and the ship excusion and I'm wondering why the ship is so much cheaper. It's usually the other way around.

My biggest worry is the early departure time for us. HAL changed the itinerary and shortchanged us on Grand Turk to give us more time on HMC. I wish they had left it alone. I can sit on a beach anytime, but would much rather dive.

My first dive in Grand Turk was with Blue Water and it was good but $150 was a bit steep. On my last cruise with HAL, I went with the ship's excursion which used Oasis Divers. Frankly, I enjoyed Oasis better. First of all, we met the Oasis people on the dock and we walked over to their board. We were divided into small groups (6 each) according to our experience. For those of us who needed equipment, it was either already on the boat or was brought over from their shop. The dive master in my group was excellent and was very patient and helpful with us fairly new divers. The boats split up and went to different sites so there were no crowds and we were able to get off and on the boats very quickly. Water and soft drinks were provided on board. Next time I am in Grant Turk, I will take the ship's excursion again as I was very pleased with Oasis. BTW, diving the wall in Grand Turk is a great experience.

I have done both Oasis and Blue Water, the difference is that Oasis put 50 or more people on each of their boats with Blue Water it is about 8 or 10, in our case it was 6 of us. IMO Blue Water is superior however I will admit it is easier to get out of the water on Oasis boats then it is Oasis.

We had 4 divers on our Blue Water dive trip.......us (DH and I) and a mom and son.

The mom and son were both inexperienced divers - and the son never did get down citing ear problems. I think he was just very unsure of himself so he stayed on the boat. The dive master saw dh and I were very comfortable diving together and since dh has done thousand of dives we kind of went off together - altho never really totally out of his sightline..... he stuck real close to the mom even holding her hand most of the time.

Afterwards all 4 of us opted to be dropped off on the beach down by the ship instead of going back the other direction to the dive shop....... saved us time and money since we just had a short walk up the beach. We did make a quick pit stop for some fried conch strips and a cold beer tho.......

I guess I'll muck it up again and go with Blue Water Divers. Been diving with them for many years (every time visiting by cruise boat). They are a small shop with small boats and big service. If you want custom diving, then they're the way to go. OASIS is the typical big operator on the island.

As far as shore diving, it's not possible but if you write blue water I'm sure they can arrange a switch out between dives. They work with a local hotel with beach property and they dive pretty close to where the shop is so they can run in between dives and switch out (one time we had 8 divers which was a lot for them and we went in to shore between dives as they switched out tanks.

Like I said, just ask. :)

Randall

Archived