Costa Concordia SINKING!

cruiserfanfromct

My hubby took an in depth nearly 5 hour tour of the inner workings of our last cruise ship, HAL's Zuiderdam, in September 2011 and he was allowed as were the other 11 guests, to take photos and videos everywhere to include the engines, the engine control room and the bridge. And, just an FYI, the tour was while we were at sea in Alaska. So statements that cameras of any type are not allowed on the bridge are no longer an active argument, or I guess I should say were not prior to January 13, 2012, they could be now, after this tragedy.

Joanie

As for policies in place they are written out very specifically and do vary by line. I know for a fact NCL's policies are on their behind the scenes tour: Cameras are welcome but no video recording is allowed anywhere along the tour.

Cheers,

Norman

p.s. Prior to 9/11 these kinds of breaches were much more commonplace. :eek:

Hi, I'm new here.. I'm an Italian living in the US, please forgive my mistakes and consider that the sea language is a very specific language hard to understand for people like me who are not in that world. Please ask me if something is not clear

And the engines are just.. they’re just going all to hell.

It’s two compartments: the engines in the bow.. and the engines astern. It’s 1-2-3-4-5-6

Basically there is a huge hole... I believe... and so water is flowing down.

They say they have a Tango-India (injured person) at life-boat No. 3

The director tells me if we have only these two compartments.

With two compartments we survive

There is no problem here, also because the [...] is normal.

Now they cannot start the bilge pumps.

Now we are drifting to land. At what seabed are we here?

More than one hundred meters.

Well we ought to see if we can do it with the length of chain.

Let’s wait to drift into shallower water

And completely drop the anchor and eventually we sit on the bottom

We’ll see

Currently looks like it broken down are the aft main engine and generators 1-2-3.

And how about the 4-5-6?

See if you can find the director for the 4-5-6.

Close all watertight doors... Close all. Immediately!

Captain, the passengers are beginning to board the launches by themselves.

Well ok

Let's get them to land.

Anyway…ok ... I have to give the general emergency.

Wait, wait.

Let’s give the emergency

If you can please send us the means but very quickly

What do we do? What do we do?

General emergency

Tell me if you heard the last announcement I made.

We are down to 0.2 from the island

Let’s call people

Talk to the hostesses

Tell them to announce that people are falling

We are close to the island because there are ...The island is nearby

Call the tugs.

Captain, we gave the emergency

Abandon ship. Abandon ship.

Going back to a video posted here a few days ago that shows the direction of the ship and its final position, the map/ chart shows no rocks where the ship hit one and shows no rocks where the ship currently lies! all that it shows is mud or sand.

http://www.navicomdynamics.com/media/sitemedia/screen%20dumps/GroundingCostaConcordia.wmv

So it now brings into play what Schettino said right after that there were no rocks shown on the maps!/charts and also in the latest video from the bridge he says to beach the ship and sit on the bottom! so it seems he clearly believed that it was possible to sit the ship down in the shallow water.

It certainly appears as though there may well be some truth in what he has claimed right from the start.

I am going to put this in layman's terms, so all you mariners out there please don't flame me for not being nautical here.;)

What you are seeing is a zoomed out version of the electronic charts with little detail, but when a mariner zooms in on the electronic chart plotter it changes to one with lots more detail. Any mariner worth his salt would be using a zoomed in version to get the most amount of detail when sailing in close proximity to land.

I'll leave it at that for now, unless someone wants further info. If you want some samples I will try to find some.

Regards,

MorganMars

Hi, I'm new here.. I'm an Italian living in the US, please forgive my mistakes and consider that the sea language is a very specific language hard to understand for people like me who are not in that world. Please ask me if something is not clear

It’s two compartments: the engines in the bow.. and the engines astern. It’s 1-2-3-4-5-6

We’ll see

Currently looks like it broken down are the aft main engine and generators 1-2-3.

And how about the 4-5-6?

Well ok

Let's get them to land.

Wait, wait.

Let’s give the emergency

General emergency

Let’s call people

Talk to the hostesses

Call the tugs.

Thank You to both our wonderful Translators!!!

Hopefully you can stick around and translate the next installment of the TV coverage which will be played in Italy tonight??

Joanie

[/b][/color][/size][/font]

Joanie .... the rock on the chart if correct is shown above water as is the one where the ship lies! there is non shown as underwater at that point and a depth of 48 metres is shown more than enough for the ship to sail over normally.

Not going to argue the rocks as I see what I see and you see what you see:)

Joanie

Joanie, Sidari is arguing that the rocks UNDERNEATH the water at the point of impact are not shown on the charts, thereby indicating 48 metres which is quite adequate depth for the Concordia. The ship didn't hit the rock clearly visible to all of us as we look at the charts. The "impacted" rock was UNDERNEATH the water, not visible to us (or the captain) on the charts. If there were SUBMERGED rocks that limited the depth, shown as 48 metres, it should have shown this on the charts. More than likely a more detailed chart would show these SUBMERGED rocks which impacted the Concordia, I can't say.

We’ll see

And how about the 4-5-6?

Well ok

Let's get them to land.

Wait, wait.

Let’s give the emergency

General emergency

Let’s call people

Talk to the hostesses

Call the tugs.

You did a great job, even with the nautical terms. The one part that rather tantalizes me is, "Well we ought to see if we can do it with the length of chain," as that may indicate that the anchor was deployed and knowing how much chain was out could provide investigators with information they could use to help recreate the series of events. I have been hoping to see some chart with the location of the anchors marked on it, but so far no luck.

Regards,

MorganMars

In Italics are my thoughts. Purely my opinion but hopefully of some use/interest....

It's not clear if it's the main engines or also the thursters that are being referred to.

It’s two compartments: the engines in the bow.. and the engines astern.

Probably referring to two compartments being breached, and both bow and stern thrusters unavailable.

It’s 1-2-3-4-5-6

Costa Concordia had six diesel engines. All are offline.

Director = Chief Engineer. The speaker wants to know from the Chief Engineer if it's only two compartments that have been breached.

Costa Concordia (and all other cruise ships) will stay afloat with two compartments flooded. Ships are divided into multiple comparments, seven or more, with watertight doors and bulkheads between them.

Probably because the power has failed - although it might have be possible to run the bilge pumps from the EDG (Emergency Diesel Generator). Given the size of the hole, running the bilge pumps would have made no difference.

Drifting to land - this implies to me that they are dead in the water and that the bow/stern thrusters were not used.

They are considering anchoring the ship where she is.

We’ll see

And how about the 4-5-6?

They are aware that three generators have failed but aren't sure as to the status of the other three. They want the Chief Engineer to tell them.

I'm astonished that this order took this long to be given. As soon as they eve suspected there was a problem they should have closed all watertight doors immediately.

Well ok

Let's get them to land.

Wait, wait.

Let’s give the emergency

General emergency

Drifting to and now only 1/5 of a nautical mile from the island.

Let’s call people

Talk to the hostesses

Call the tugs.

VP

Yaelie - If you're still here... I can't find an English Version of this Part II Video. If it's not asking too much could you translate? Many thanks!

http://video.repubblica.it/dossier/naufragio-giglio-costa-concordia/esclusivo-tg5-concordia-i-momenti-concitati-della-fuga-dalla-nave/87884/86277

wow those crew looked so calm and happy, I still didn't see an officer in any of that video will look again.

Interestingly I have emails from laywers suggesting that the release of these videos will mean a lot more questions are asked and there belief that Costa officials will be added to the defendants list before March 5th.

wow those crew looked so calm and happy, I still didn't see an officer in any of that video will look again.

Interestingly I have emails from laywers suggesting that the release of these videos will mean a lot more questions are asked and there belief that Costa officials will be added to the defendants list before March 5th.

Michelle, I thought about you you when these videos came out. Maybe it will be the catalyst to get Costa to act faster in your case. You must be stressed trying to decide whether to accept Costa's settlement or proceed with a law suit. Hope everything works out for you.

Hey Oz! There you go...a softly spoken expletive at the first stairwell. Male voice. Did you call it, or what?

The man who fell in the water was dressed the same as the possible Silvia sighting in the first video...my guess, that's an officer?

The man who fell in the water was dressed the same as the possible Silvia sighting in the first video...my guess, that's an officer?

We were only on the boat for a few hours but some things really confuse me in this video, wherever this was taken there were no passengers around and the whole deck looks empty.

When the crew reach port there does not seem to be a lot of people around yet that whole area was 10 people deep until we left on a ferry at 4:30am, I wish I had the ability to zoom in, I wish it had a time stamp, I thought I could see buses in front of the main shops at the hotel, they bought these there for people to sit in where it was warmer.

The girl with her high heels in her hand speaking english I believe is the dutch speaking cruise hostess on her first cruise, she was being trained by the english speaking host.

One other thing about the first video, if that is dominca on the bridge then she wasnt giving the russian announcements as she stated as the english speaking guide is not there and I know it was his voice in all the announcements they must have been coming from elsewhere

We were only on the boat for a few hours but some things really confuse me in this video, wherever this was taken there were no passengers around and the whole deck looks empty.

When the crew reach port there does not seem to be a lot of people around yet that whole area was 10 people deep until we left on a ferry at 4:30am, I wish I had the ability to zoom in, I wish it had a time stamp, I thought I could see buses in front of the main shops at the hotel, they bought these there for people to sit in where it was warmer.

The girl with her high heels in her hand speaking english I believe is the dutch speaking cruise hostess on her first cruise, she was being trained by the english speaking host.

One other thing about the first video, if that is dominca on the bridge then she wasnt giving the russian announcements as she stated as the english speaking guide is not there and I know it was his voice in all the announcements they must have been coming from elsewhere

As much as I wouldn't have wished you there, I must admit that it's so useful having first-hand information! :)

I suppose the video could have been off and on sporatically over the course of the night. Perhaps he didn't take video of the pier until after 4:30?

If the one young woman was a hostess, wouldn't she have been making announcements for a while after the abandon ship? So that part would have been quite a bit later than the film-maker's arrival at the lifeboat deck.

I wondered about the announcements being made elsewhere. We didn't see Domnica on the bridge, btw...I thought I saw someone in a sleeveless black dress with beefier arms, but I realized later that it was the sweater vest & white short-sleeved shirt. I still think it was Silvia, because the head shape looked like a woman's head with her hair in a high bun. Does anyone know if she's stocky?

Oh, and does that explain the sounds of the footsteps in the corridors?

To me it looked like something that was lying there when the film-maker passed by.

The footsteps sounded harder than rubber flip-flops, although they do tend to slap down without much toe to heel action, so it's possible. I noticed a whole variety of footwear on the crew.

I'm still going for relatively unimportant young crew member...the other young crew members were pretty comfortable with him.

Got the voice at the stairs.....Milaandra you have an eye and an eye like nobody I know.

The 3 white lights at 1:12 are they the same as we can see in the bridge video?

1:58 no panic

lots of life boats on the lower( starboard) side not lowered at 2:24

at 2:45 what a mess gettin unhooked

From 4:02 to 4:25 when the framework of the Davitt ( spelling?) is INSIDE the escaping lifeboat!!! There has to be a redesign to allow life boats to be lowered when listing occurs. If there was any swell the loss of life would have been magnified.(ship designers need to get this fixed)

Hope this and other footage is accessed by the inquiry/ court hearing as there would be time stamps on the original.

Note to self and others .... ADJUST YOUR TIME AND DATE on camera when on holidays!! very easy to do and very helpful not only in this situation but helps you to remember where and WHEN you took the pic/ video.

Does the side make a difference?
The film itself would give a very vague idea of a 'time frame' due to the direction the ship is listing, if the bows are to the right and the camera is pointing to the port side then this would indicate that the film was taken shortly after the incident and before the ship turned back towards Giglio, it might be possible to gauge from the film when the ship turned back and thus it started listing on the starboard side.

Rgds

:):):)

From a story I was just reading in La Repubblica, this caught my eye. This woman seems to be a confusion of facts. It's like one minute she defends him and another she throws him under.

."

Poi, arrivata in plancia, ha raccontato, "sono rimasta in fondo e poiché non trovavo interessante la situazione ed avevo anche fame, me ne volevo andare via, ma il comandante (Schettino, ndr ) ha insistito affinchè rimanessi, e così ho fatto".

Then, arrived on the bridge, said, "I was down and since I could not find the situation interesting and I was hungry, I wanted to go away, but the captain (Schettino, ed) has insisted that rimanessi, and I did" .

Also read that the prosecutors intend to find out from whom the Tg5 videos came from. I am most interested in that myself.

It sounds as if "Vabbuo" may be Italian verncular for the American vernacular: "Whatever"

The newly posted english translation confirms my earlier post.

"And then, around 25 minutes before the official "abandon ship" signal is given, one official is heard saying: "Passengers are getting into the life boats", to which a man believed to be Schettino replies: "Vabbuo", which means "Whatever".

Archived