Costa Concordia SINKING!

cruiserfanfromct

Yaelie ... Thanks so much for clearing that up ..... :D so many people want to believe the Media hype of a hero Captain from another ship who was taking a ride home.

Originally Posted by CruisersNC viewpost.gif

Do you not think that more lives might have been saved if everyone was ordered into the lifeboats sooner?

Do you think they can launch lifeboats while the ship is still moving ? that i would like to see!

Let's time to stay with the timeline, please. We were originally talking about what occured when he struck bottom and while he was still on the bridge prior to the abandoning of the ship. By the time he is in the lifeboat, which I agree with you, he should have not left the ship with so many still in danger, it is too late.

Consider an alternative, however; He hits the rocks, he knows water is coming in, but if he can keep the boat afloat and contract with the tugs to tow it to the nearest yard, the ship is still in the control of the company. It has to do with an extremely complicated area of maritime law called "salvage rights."

A Cub Scout entering a raingutter regatta would have been clear that Concordia was not making it to the nearest yard, tug or not. I'm confident Captain Schettino and the senior officers knew that as well.

I don't mind Milaandra's counterpoints. She is entitled to believe or express whatever opinion she has. I'm certainly not going to brow beat her for looking for further info or questioning things that have been in print, in videos, or leaked out to the media.

CruiserNC, I believe OJ was found not guilty. Is he innocent? Depending on which side you are on, that's the answer.

Yaelie ... Thanks so much for clearing that up ..... :D so many people want to believe the Media hype of a hero Captain from another ship who was taking a ride home.

Originally Posted by CruisersNC viewpost.gif

Do you not think that more lives might have been saved if everyone was ordered into the lifeboats sooner?

Do you think they can launch lifeboats while the ship is still moving ? that i would like to see!

The life rafts are supposed to be rated for launch at 20 degree side to side list, 10 degree front to rear trim, and 5 knots speed in calm waters.

According to reports emergency alarms were sounded 74 minutes after the breech of hull.

After muster the life boats are supposed to be loadable in 3 minutes or less, and full evacuation 30 minutes from abandon ship order.

Sooner mustering seemed very possible.

Let me ask a couple of quick questions. If I have been advocating open-mindedness, why is anyone surprised when I haven't made up my own mind? Why do you assume I have?

We do not know you have not made up your mind, or at least I was unaware of it, until you posed this question. From all of your replies/comments about Schettino, it sure sounds like you are championing him.

And most important...am I only welcome here if I am willing to convict before hearing the evidence?

Not true at all!!!

I thoroughly enjoy the back and forth comments regarding the Concordia. I for one am thankful that you are on this thread specifically because:

a. You provide such excellent in depth information from all sources, media, youtube FB, etc...

b. You have been extremely civil, even when you perceive yourself under attack!!

I do have to say that I never meant to give you the impression that I blamed the blond for what happened. UNLESS Schettino is taking the blame because he let her take control of the ship at that precise moment that Concordia hit the rock:eek: NO WHERE has that been stated or mentioned by anyone, so I want that clear, I am only saying that would be the onlt reason I would blame her for the accident!!

As to DeFalco, he is one of several heroes of this tragedy and believe me, IF I'd been there Schettino would not have any hearing left after I get done with him!! DeFalco was, in my opinion, trying to shock Schettino out of his stupor and into some positive action, not cowering on land or in a life boat (depending on which report you choose to believe in).

Joanie

Evaluator .... No one i don`t think questions that people should have been at muster stations earlier, once a decision was made to turn the ship around in order to get it closer to the island of Giglio there was no way that they would allow the lifeboats to be launched which would make it seem like an age before a decision or otherwise was made.

Had they continued in a straight line until the ship was almost stopped and then lauched them i think more people would have been killed.

I am sure i read elsewhere on CC that more crew members are injured/killed lauching lifeboats than any other accident onboard a ship.

Most cruise lines do offer a friends and family rate. But Domnica was no longer an employee. Her contract had ended. Finito.

Which begs the question, who in their right mind would PAY and stay to be with the same people you work with day in and day out and not want to rush off to see your family?

I do not know the particulars of Costa but I know that other cruise lines extend discounts to employees whose contract has expired. The length of the contracts and the length of vacations vary between cruise lines and the crew position. (e.g. contract: 10 months, 6 months, 4 months) So, an employee whose contract has expired would go on a 2 month vacation and sail with a super discount while waiting for another contract.

I know many cruise line employees who take advantage of the super discounts between contracts. Several crew friends put me on their friends and family list so I could join them but I've never used the discount and joined them by paying full fare because I only sail in suites with concierge and butler service. The discounts are incredible (e.g. outside cabin, no balcony 14 days $250 with no gratuity charge)

John

DeFalco is most definitely the good guy here.....there's no question of it.

Schettino wore out my patience long before he wore out DeFalco's. Mr. DeFalco was trying to deal with a very significant emergency, and I fully understand his disbelief and frustration over the Captain's colossal failure to command. So does most of Italy. To wit: Vada a bordo, C---O.

Evaluator .... No one i don`t think questions that people should have been at muster stations earlier, once a decision was made to turn the ship around in order to get it closer to the island of Giglio there was no way that they would allow the lifeboats to be launched which would make it seem like an age before a decision or otherwise was made.

Had they continued in a straight line until the ship was almost stopped and then lauched them i think more people would have been killed.

I am sure i read elsewhere on CC that more crew members are injured/killed lauching lifeboats than any other accident onboard a ship.

Why do yo feel they had to wait until the ship fully turned and stopped to launch the life boats?

From available recreations, the speed of the ship was less than 5 knots five minutes after impact. Approximately 20 minutes after impact the ship stopped, and drifted back south at less than 2 knots. How close to shore did the Concordia need to go?

Net to be unkind, but hindsight bias (the inclination to see events that have already occurred as being more predictable than they were before they took place) is always 20/20. Try it some time with sea water pouring into your boat. I have.

A Cub Scout entering a raingutter regatta would have been clear that Concordia was not making it to the nearest yard, tug or not. I'm confident Captain Schettino and the senior officers knew that as well.

I think what had DeFlaco so ticked off was the time between his first call to the Captain and then the call seeking help. Throw in the Captain not being on the ship whilst pax were still struggling to get off and you have one angry CG official.

Can we revisit the video from Tg5 again. From the time where the Bridge video seems to stop we flow into someone running down the hall. Has the thinking been that it was someone coming from the Bridge?

Also, did anyone check the ship today via the webcam? This morning (early afternoon in Italy) it looked as if one of the large panels over the pool area was no longer there. As you would look at the ship, I mean the one on the left. I couldn't tell if it was gone or just shaded out (so to speak.)

Net to be unkind, but hindsight bias (the inclination to see events that have already occurred as being more predictable than they were before they took place) is always 20/20. Try it some time with sea water pouring into your boat. I have.

To which yard would you have had Concordia towed to be salvaged if you knew shortly after impact that three of her compartments had flooded?

I think what had DeFlaco so ticked off was the time between his first call to the Captain and then the call seeking help. Throw in the Captain not being on the ship whilst pax were still struggling to get off and you have one angry CG official.

Nevermind the part where Mr. DeFalco became aware of the emergency in the first place as a result of a passenger notifying someone onshore, who notified the police, who contacted the Coast Guard....

I do think that the Capitaneria di Porto has some responsibilities too. How is that possibile that the Carabinieri from Prato, pretty far from the sea (I would say a couple of hours by car) had to call them about the accident?

They reported at 10 PM: regular traffic

I do not know the particulars of Costa but I know that other cruise lines extend discounts to employees whose contract has expired. The length of the contracts and the length of vacations vary between cruise lines and the crew position. (e.g. contract: 10 months, 6 months, 4 months) So, an employee whose contract has expired would go on a 2 month vacation and sail with a super discount while waiting for another contract.

I know many cruise line employees who take advantage of the super discounts between contracts. Several crew friends put me on their friends and family list so I could join them but I've never used the discount and joined them by paying full fare because I only sail in suites with concierge and butler service. The discounts are incredible (e.g. outside cabin, no balcony 14 days $250 with no gratuity charge)

John

I don't know of many employees who can afford to take a 2 month vacation, but I'll take your word for it John.

Whether it was paid, free, friends & family or whore rate, makes no difference. The point is a mother of a 2 year-old has to have a compelling reason to stay past her stint after not seeing her child for months. It's doubtful it was for camaraderie as some have suggested since most workers on the ship are pulling long shifts and working their tail ends off and would hardly have the time or the money to basque in the hot tub imbibing cosmotinis. ;)

Gang,

Trying to catch up on posts, been away for 5 days.

I got off the Concordia 12 days before she sank. I'm looking at my "Today" newlsetter. There is no Sylvia Coronica listed. She could very well have boarded during those 12 days, but I don't remember any female officers on board. Here is a of Officers listed in newsletter

Capt- Schetttino

Staff Capt-Roberto Bosio

Staff Eng- Tonio Borghero

Ship Dr- Sandro Cinquiri

Chief Radio Off- Flavio Spadavecchia

Enviromental Offc- Fulvio Vissagio

Chaplain- Father Raffaele Malena

Of course, it also doesn't lust 1st & 2nd Officers that "tripped" into the lifeboats with Capt "Shet Happens", but you would think they would

Silvia Coronica I believe. That's right, the video showed the photos of all the officers that were there and there were a lot less than 20. I don't know why she would give false statements like that - did she know the whole thing was being taped? That's why I really don't think she taped it. Or maybe she did tape it and forgot what she said in that initial interview. This whole thing gets weirder by the day......:confused:

Archived