Configuration of Galaxy 8004/8007 cabins?

SeaGal

We are a family of four and we have booked Galaxy cabin 8007 for a 12-night cruise. Does anyone have pictures of these cat 5 cabins? We are wondering what the configuration of the beds will be - a queen and a fold-out sofa? We just hope that there won't be a roll-away bed taking up space.

Any information about the cabin is appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

We have just returned from a week on Mercury, which is apparently a replica of Galaxy, and we had cabin 8007.

It was a great cabin as it is on the corner of the ship, and being L shaped it is bigger than the normal cabins. However there was just a double bed (2 singles joined together). There was a small sofa in the corner but I couldn't say if it was a sofa bed or not. I am sure that there were no pull down bunks so can only assume they will put a pull out bed in the corner.

Look on the bright side, which is that the cabin is definitly bigger than most and you have a spectacular view from the window. You overlook the front corner of the ship and can see everything for miles. We were in Alaska and saw porpoises, whales, seals and bald eagles from the cabin.

Hope this helps

Thank you both for your replies. I have been waiting patiently for some information on this cabin. Luckily my daughters usually don't complain about sleeping together. I guess we can always have a rollaway bed if the sleeper sofa is too small.

I like the idea that the room is larger and has the big window. I was concerned that there was something wrong with 8007 and 8004 because they are often the only Cat 5 cabins left when I search for Galaxy or Mercury cabins on various cruises.

We have had balcony cabins for our last few cruises, but it was too costly on a 12-day holiday cruise to justify the expense. I am sure we will be happy - afterall it is a cruise:)

Compo55, did you take any pictures of the Mercury cabin that you could share? I have this cabin in a few weeks and am curious. Also, any tips you might share would be appreciated :) ... this will be my first Alaska cruise and I am not sure what I should pack.:eek: :D

Hello Patrioticgirl,

I'm sorry but I didn't actually take any pictures of the cabin, as I never remembered to do it after the steward had tidied up, but I took a few of views through the window. If you want to see any of these just leave your email address on your next post. You will be impressed by the cabin though, as there really is loads of space. The ship is also fantastic.

With regards to what to pack, we were surprised at how nice the weather was. It can be a bit windy on deck while at sea, but in port it was nice. It was in the low 60's each day we were there, and it was like being at home in the UK! Apparently we had less rain than normal so you will definitely need rainwear. Of course these temperatures may seem cold to others, depending where they live.

If you haven't booked any trips I can recommend the following ones.

Juneau - Captain Larry for whale watching - www.orcaenterprises.com

Skagway - Coach trips to the Yukon - www.frontierexcursions.com

I hope you have as good a trip as we did.

Regards

Ian

PS - There was a lot of information on trips, clothes etc on the thread for the sailing I was on, so it may be worth checking out http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=85594&highlight=billybob123

Hi Gina,

Yes I am. However, to save you putting your email address on line I am going to try uploading some photos to webshots. I am trying it out at present, and will post again when I have managed to upload some.

Regards

Ian

Thank you, Ian! I am currently researching hotels in Seattle so I may be here for a few minutes. Just let me know!:) I have heard the window is much larger than most, and I am excited about that fact. It's probably the hook that made me finally book this trip. I had been thinking about Alaska for months and when it came up on Happy Hour pricing and the cabin was available, I took the plunge. Sort of a nice compromise choice since booking a balcony solo was out of the price range for this summer.:D

I will look at the link to your sailing later this evening when I return home from visiting a friend. This trip was unexpected and I am headed to Bermuda this weekend, so the clothing thing is something I will have to research. I have a whole tropical wardrobe, but I don't think many of those things are workable as most of the items are sleeveless. Time to shop!:D

Ian, I don't think I will be disappointed! The window is quite large, and your fifth picture made me gasp! What a view! :)

Thank you for your help and for providing the pictures! I am probably more excited about Alaska now than I am about Bermuda. I will read the roll call postings later this evening. More later!

Gina

Hi Gina,

I'm glad you liked the photos, but most of them were more luck than judgement! It was quite a new camera and over the 9 days I took about 500, so picking about 70 'good' ones wasn't too hard.

I've never put photos on the web before, so thanks for asking for the cabin shots as I probably wouldn't have got round to doing it. As you can see, I also chose the same website you use.

Hope you have a great holiday in Alaska, and look forward to reading you report afterwards.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Any additional input on the cabins will be appreciated. Thanks!Wish I had a balcony, but not this time, I guess!:D

Ian, I am back from Bermuda and added some pics for you to see. I had the chance to look closely at your Mercury photos this AM. They are absolutley gorgeous! I can't wait!:)

Hi Gina,

I've just looked at your photos are there are some great shots. I always like pictures of the sea where the blues and white are so bright, and especially loved your first picture.

Hope you have a great time in Alaska, and I look forward to seeing pictures of all the bears you will hopefully see.

Ian

• 1 month later...

Hi Gina,

I just had a look to see if your Alaska photos were on line, and found plenty. I have been through them all and it looks like you had a good time. Did you manage to see any bears or whales?

Thanks for taking the photos of the cabin as I never took any while I was there.

Hope you enjoyed the trip.

Best wishes

Ian

Hi Ian! It's good to hear from you again! The trip was absolutely wonderful, as was the cabin! Friends that I met on the voyage visited one evening before dinner for a toast and were in awe of the space and of the view out of the large window. They even declared that they would opt for the space on the next voyage in lieu of the CC balcony cabin they had on the Mercury because of the roominess! :)

As for the pictures, they are not bad considering that they were taken with disposable cameras that I purchased hours before boarding the ship in a drug store in Seattle!;) I have vowed that before my next sailing, I will purchase a digital camera that is travel friendly. Mine is a Sony Mavica that is bulky and heavy, so it's not made its way into my suitcase recently! No pictures of bears, for they were illusive and I saw not a one, but we did see several large whales. I hope all is well with you.... keep in touch!:)

Gina

• 6 months later...

Hi Gina,

I received an email today to say that my review of the Mercury cruise is up on the Cruise Critic website, so went to see how it looked. I then decided to see what other reviews there were and found the one you did. We both gave 8007 a mention so that should help sales.

How are things with you? Do you have more cruise booked up? We have 2 this year. In May it is 4 nights on Voyager of the Seas out of Barcelona, and in August we have 9 nights on a small ship called Calypso. It sails from London and travels all the way around the British Isles which should be really good.

Best wishes

Ian

Archived