Missing Ship when booking independent tour

reney313

I typically use independent companies for my excursions in ports--not so much because of the $$, but because I don't like being herded in large groups. Typically, I find the independent excursions are smaller and more personal tours.

That being said, it's been awhile since I've been to a tender port in a 3rd world country. After reading through threads on this board the last few days, there does seem to be many that recommend using the ship tours due to the potential for delays and/or vehicle/boat problems, etc.

My question is....has anyone actually experienced NOT making back to their ship in time when booking independently in Belize?

I would love to go cave tubing, but my significant other isn't so keen on the idea (I don't know why he's chicken...lol). I'm still trying to convince him. If so, does the ride to do this seem to be long and potentially dangerous to make the ship if problems occur?

The second option would likely be to go to Altun Ha. From what I've gathered on limited research, this may be a better option for independent tours?

We are on the Liberty OTS in February. From what i can tell, I think we are the only ship in port that day. Will that make a difference in the tenders to the port? I'm hoping maybe not having other ships if we don't have priority tender tickets from booking a ship excursion that we wouldn't be too delayed?

Any experiences of missing the ship (or knowledge of others missing the ship?) and thoughts on the safest bet for excursions that would not be with the ship? And thoughts of whether being the only ship in port would help the amount of tenders, etc. to the city.

Thanks!

I typically use independent companies for my excursions in ports--not so much because of the $$, but because I don't like being herded in large groups. Typically, I find the independent excursions are smaller and more personal tours.

That being said, it's been awhile since I've been to a tender port in a 3rd world country. After reading through threads on this board the last few days, there does seem to be many that recommend using the ship tours due to the potential for delays and/or vehicle/boat problems, etc.

My question is....has anyone actually experienced NOT making back to their ship in time when booking independently in Belize?

I would love to go cave tubing, but my significant other isn't so keen on the idea (I don't know why he's chicken...lol). I'm still trying to convince him. If so, does the ride to do this seem to be long and potentially dangerous to make the ship if problems occur?

The second option would likely be to go to Altun Ha. From what I've gathered on limited research, this may be a better option for independent tours?

We are on the Liberty OTS in February. From what i can tell, I think we are the only ship in port that day. Will that make a difference in the tenders to the port? I'm hoping maybe not having other ships if we don't have priority tender tickets from booking a ship excursion that we wouldn't be too delayed?

Any experiences of missing the ship (or knowledge of others missing the ship?) and thoughts on the safest bet for excursions that would not be with the ship? And thoughts of whether being the only ship in port would help the amount of tenders, etc. to the city.

Thanks!

I wouldn't avoid booking independently just because of tenders. Really, it's all the same as if there weren't tenders involved. Your tour guide either has you back at the por for last tender or he has you back at the port before the cruise ship leaves if there wasn't a tender involved. Everyone who makes it back to the port before "last tender" gets on a tender, even if it means running an extra one. If you are on time, you will get back to your ship.

If a long ferry (Coz to PDC) or a flight (Belize to Ambergis Cay) was involved, then I'd book with the ship. We also booked with the ship in Egypt due to legitimate safety concerns and the fact that we were driving 3+ hours from the port to see the pyramids and sphinx.

I haven't missed th eship using independents in Belize. But for longer tours that are over 4 hours, like Xunantunich, we used th e ship as anything can happen to delay getting back. We've, been just able to catch the last tender on these type of tours. Find a reputable tour guide for cave-tubing or Altun Ha. Nacho and Cynthia or cave-tubing dot com, or Hammerheads( and tours out of Wet Lizard) all have good reps and understand the importance of getting you back safely and in plenty of time.

Thanks for the feedback. If we do either the cave tubing or Altun Ha, I think I'll feel more comfortable with an independent tour now. Not to say that something couldn't happen, but it sounds like the risk is lower than I originally perceived. I would agree going somewhere far away would be different--as with any port, just normally there isn't anywhere "really far" when talking about an island...lol. since this is the mainland it's a little different. I think I'm getting older too. I wouldn't have considered it when I first started cruising in my 20's. :p

On our only visit to Belize we did a private cave tubing excursion with our then young teens (loved it). We arrived back at the pier about 45 minutes before the last tender time. Our kids returned to the ship with CC buddies we had we had booked the tour with. We decided to have a drink upstairs at the Wet Lizard. At the time the last tender was supposed to leave there were still at least 200 people lined up waiting for tenders. As we were right above and close by we decided to finish our drinks and when the line was gone we rode the real last tender back which was 30 minutes after what had been advertised.

We did a private tour in Belize and had no problems. The tour operators are very aware of the cruise ship schedules. And tourism is a major industry in Belize. I also would in no way consider Belize to be a third world country....

Our tour was to Altun Ha and the Baboon Sanctuary with Nacho and Cynthia. We had plenty of time for both locations including a relaxing lunch. We were back at the port with hours to spare. Altun Ha isn't very far from the port. Not like some of the other ruins. If something were to happen to your vehicle, the roads are fine, there are cell phones and likely your driver would call for another car.

That all being said, I did decide to NOT do an independent tour to Lamanai because of the distance. I just wasn't comfortable with how far it was with how long we were in port and it not being a ship tour. I'm sure it would have been fine, but you just never know. I would have made that decision regardless of the country the excursion was in and regardless of whether it was a tender port or not.

I think you'll be fine with an independent tour. Just do your research to see who gets the best reviews.

Reney313---we were in Belize on a private cave tubing tour in Dec 2011. Loved it. I don't know what your dh 's reservations/worries are, but as I said we did it and enjoyed it. There are no bats flying low in the caves, it isn't really totally dark, we saw no snakes, the water was cool, but not frigid, most cavetubing companies tie you together w/ ropes (no connecting w/ feet), the tour guide does most if not all of the work. The ride to the caves was long, but our guide was entertaining & informative along the way. The walk to the actual river was long & rough terrain- but again we enjoyed that too. As other posts have said- the tour guides are well aware of the ship's schedule & the importance of getting you back to the tendering spot on time. They do not want any bad publicity to ruin their fragile tourism industry. We used "CavetubingRus" as our guide, only had 14 people w/ 3 guides. There are several reputable tour companies in Belize, just check them out. I had the same worries as you before going, but they were unfounded. I never felt unsafe while in Belize, we were back to tender spot with plenty of time to shop in tourism village. Good luck, enjoy your cruise.

PS--I just noticed you are from Springfield MO. We are from Lawrence KS, but have a son in Springfield MO & a daughter in Fairgrove MO- small world. Have a great time.

Yes--small world--I spent a good amount of time in Lawrence. I'm originally from Overland Park, KS. Since so many of my HS classmates went to KU, I feel like I'm an adopted resident :)

I am still tying to convince my boyfriend to go tubing. I am hoping for the best :p

Most independant tour operators are very careful with getting back to the ship on time. If would be decimating to their business if they let people miss the ship.

Ask the tour operator if they have contingency plans for traffic problems before booking.

• 2 weeks later...
Most independant tour operators are very careful with getting back to the ship on time. If would be decimating to their business if they let people miss the ship.

Ask the tour operator if they have contingency plans for traffic problems before booking.

I think you are right ....

• 2 weeks later...

Hate to say it, but it happens. We were on a tour to Caye Caulker, waiting on the dock for our ride back.

The last regular run of the ferry was already full when it arrived. Three young folks from Carnival were told they would send another ferry. It took us over an hour back and never saw anyone heading their way. Anyone using the ferry from the terminal to Caye Caulker and back needs to know they could be left behind if you leave the island on that last run. I felt terrible for them.

Hate to say it, but it happens. We were on a tour to Caye Caulker, waiting on the dock for our ride back.

The last regular run of the ferry was already full when it arrived. Three young folks from Carnival were told they would send another ferry. It took us over an hour back and never saw anyone heading their way. Anyone using the ferry from the terminal to Caye Caulker and back needs to know they could be left behind if you leave the island on that last run. I felt terrible for them.

Very rare....As a back up you always have the airlines. Caye caulker to belize city..

• 1 month later...

The water taxis run on a very regular schedule. Check the schedule and plan exactly when you will leave and return before you go on your cruise.

Also, make sure you understand if the "ship's time" is the same as "port time" and always keep your watch on ship's time. If the two times are not the same, account for the differences in your plans. Water taxis run on port time.

If you can add or subtract one, then you have the math skills to work out this problem!

Happy cruising!

Archived