Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Casey Anthony who was found not guilty of murdering her 2 year old child but guilty of check fraud for which she was sentenced to probation. Her probation ends at noon on 8/24.

At the conclusion of her trial, the public believed she had gotten away with murder and polling indicated she was the mosted hated person in America. This is the "Court of Public Opinion" concept of which I've been posting.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/48745916/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/?gt1=43001

If she were to follow in the footsteps of her predecessor, O.J. Simpson, and leave Florida and break the law in Las Vegas; she'd probably draw the maximum sentence, just like OJ.

Public finger pointing of guilt will follow her for many years to come.

John

Edited by Uniall

Casey Anthony who was found not guilty of murdering her 2 year old child but guilty of check fraud for which she was sentenced to probation. Her probation ends at noon on 8/24.

At the conclusion of her trial, the public believed she had gotten away with murder and polling indicated she was the mosted hated person in America. This is the "Court of Public Opinion" concept of which I've been posting.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/48745916/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/?gt1=43001

If she were to follow in the footsteps of her predecessor, O.J. Simpson, and leave Florida and break the law in Las Vegas; she'd probably draw the maximum sentence, just like OJ.

Public finger pointing of guilt will follow her for many years to come.

John

Casey Anothony SHOULD have been a slam dunk case...somewhere in the investigation and/prosecution things got screwed up...mistakes made.

But...just like ship's captains...the police and prosecutors are mere human beings and on occasions they screw up.

Doesn't bring the victims home or their families "closure" or justice. But its just another case of mistakes being made by humans that are not perfect.

It happens and lessons need to be learnt from it.

Last night I watched "After the Last 48", it was a follow up of "The Last 48" about an horrific case in Memphis...that of Jesse Dotson..

http://www.abc24.com/mostpopular/story/Lester-Street-Murders-Victims-Brother-Arrested/hyiRLoWC0EShmkyhK9TjJA.cspx

As much as Casey Anthony "got off" this time around, her time will come...just as it did with that arogant idiot, OJ Simpson.

Dotson got his just punishment for what he did that evening in 2008...the death penalty is a rare event in the city of Memphis by all accounts, but Dotson definitely deserved it.

Another case that has always had questionmarks....JonBenet Ramsey...again the police screwed up...again they are just humans, they are not perfect.

Bottom line is that no matter how trivial the mistake, any mistake can be fatal if in the right circumstances.

Punishment is fine...absolutely punish ALL who took a part in the mistakes...but most important above all else is to learn the lessons and change procedures & training in order to prevent it happening again...and that goes for failures in the justice system worldwide.

Did he say there was no other option except to get on the boat or die at sea? At least he had a choice, and every one else can fend for themself. Maybe he forgot he "fell into a life boat"

And earlier he said he brought the ship within 50 or 60' ft of shore so people could swim that far.

Oh his attorney either must be just thrilled with him, or they're letting him continue his self destruction.

Edited by Max49

I am sure' date=' when they get the wreck upright we will see a lot of damage to that STBD side. All the months, due to her position, the bottom, the winds and seas, she has been grinding on the bottom.

AKK[/quote']

Which leads to the question of how much time may be added to the schedule.

Ken, I had noticed the same about the webcam. Seems to have days where it just goes on strike. ;)

The interview and the statement was very short in the clip shown and it would be interesting to hear the full interview to see what Schettino says before and after the bit that the news channel chose to show.

The statement he made could be applied to anyone onboard the ship!

"The ship was flipping over one side and you had no other option to go on the boat or to die at sea but still you have to leave"

Oh the joys of editing a taped interview...leave in the juicy bits, take out the boring bits and then take what is left completely out of context....not forgetting the translation on top too.

Oh and Ctheworld.....it was your buddy Uniall who opened the door to Casey Anthony in this thread...so go take him/her to task, OK...thanks matey ;)

It never ceases to amaze how easy we as a species have become in being led by the nose...the media tell us that the world is about to end...and some actually believe it...

Yes...it's true....just Google War of the Worlds, Orson Welles in 1938...he had half of the USA in a blind panic over a radio play presentation. People actually believed that the Martians had landed in the USA!!

Sheesh....if people are so guilible when it comes to Martians landing, heck, they'll believe anything and everything coming from the media ROFL....such as believing the footage of water running down the stairs and crew telling pax to stay away that was beamed all over the world under the banner that it was filmed on Concordia....when it was actually Carnival Sensation in 2009 after a waste pipe burst.....actually it was an apt clip to use wasn't it? Sensation(al) ;)

Max, from my view point, Schettino's defense has evolved and shifted over time based on information made public (thanks to the media) including testimonies by his officers, investigative reports, etc. Things he did not quite say himself during his interrogation, have become a part of his public explanation six months later. In nearly the exact same words of another. "The ship was tilting..." "...there was no other choice but to jump or be crushed." I think that could have happened, but lo and behold, there just happened to be a lifeboat where Schettino fell. Other officers fell or jumped into the water because of the tilt and swam to shore. Schettino made it in with dry clothes and a cell phone in his pocket. (By his own words, CS- not the media.)

Now, let's say Schettino DID fall or jump onto the lifeboat to avoid being crushed. Ok. I get that. I would, perhaps, also allow that he felt it necessary to ferry the 150 passengers on the lifeboat quickly to safety on land. So why didin't he take the lifeboat back to the SHIP and get back on board? And wait, WERE there any other passengers on his lifeboat? Why have we not heard from a-one?

I did find the full interview in two installments up on that site, however, only the short news teaser is viewable in the U.S.

You have to involve the USA in every thing? I'm bummed, I totally missed seeing the Martians, I didn't even know they were here, but u did. Pretty nice people?

Max

Not to worry. The US has had practice in confronting an alien invasion.

We start with the 1776 call to arms: "The (Martians) are coming" ............:D

John

The interview on Australia's 7News was from last month -- aired July 15/16 in 2 parts. That's the same interview he came up with the "Ghost" line referring to his soon-to-be-mistress-had-the-ship-not-wrecked.

Here's a partial transcript :eek:

http://au.news.yahoo.com/today-tonight/lifestyle/article/-/14243519/captain-breaks-his-silence/

I did find the full interview in two installments up on that site, however, only the short news teaser is viewable in the U.S.

Since this is one of the paid interviews, I don't believe it's available anywhere else in the world but Australia. I was hoping someone in OZ would upload it to YouTube so we could all have a good laugh! :D

What part of the States did you say you're from? Do you sometimes go by another handle here on CC?

What part of the States did you say you're from? Do you sometimes go by another handle here on CC?

Oh, Cruiserfanfromct... now you want me to spoil the conspiracy theory? Actually, we are practically neighbors, separated by the Sound. And no, I go by no other handle.

Edited by stella_mare

Oh, Cruiserfanfromct... now you want me to spoil the conspiracy theory? Actually, we are practically neighbors, separated by the Sound. And no, I go by no other handle.

No conspiracy theories here. Not too complicated for a poster to pick up a second handle. That's all.

Across the Sound via across the Pond? You definitely don't sound like the typical Long Islander to me. :confused:

In other news, Giglio Mayor Sergio Ortelli imposes a new "landing fee" on ferries bringing in day tourists. He's charging a tax of 1 Euro per passenger. Doesn't sound like a lot but judging from all the day trippers Giglio has been getting lately, could be a nice lining to the municipal coffers.

http://ricerca.repubblica.it/repubblica/archivio/repubblica/2012/08/15/al-giglio-ferragosto-con-relitto-la-concordia.html?ref=search

On a different note, Italian news report that a badly decomposed body has been found on the south end of Giglio. Appears to be a man in a motorcycle suit and unrelated to the Concordia incident. They think the currents brought him there. "Cosa Nostra"? :eek:

Edited by cruiserfanfromct