Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Is Carnival Cruise Lines Being Sabotaged?

A thought provoking (provocative?) article.

(I still subscribe to "The Curse of Captain Coward" Theory LOL)

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1279691-is-carnival-cruise-lines-being-sabotaged?source=email_rt_article_readmore

Sid

I trust your post was not a reply to mine. Your article may have been "media" generated. But, my article was an Investment Advice article.

If there are more "investment" and "finanical" negative comments, it could "sink" Carnival.

John

PS

I'm getting ready for THE Annual Celebration. The kilts and the drum are ready to go. Parades today and tomorrow, with many a pub visit before and after.

I'll be thinking of you when I do my rendition of "A Nation Once Again".

Happy St. Paddy's Day and Erin Go Braugh. "There will always be an Ireland" :D

1012407584_MacNeilofBaraCrest2.jpg.9a37adb643b9213549f600a26d49baa8.jpg

89118949_MacNeilofBaraTartan.jpg.063f5db7251959f393ef538f1e3c585f.jpg

Edited by Uniall

"I trust your post was not a reply to mine"

Uni .... No not a reply to the post you made, enjoy being a Pretend Irishman for the day .... :D

If you knew my background, you wouldn't consider my Irish heritage a pretense :D

Seems Carnival Inc. has not learned anything from the Concordia, the Captian on the Carnival Dream lyng to the USCG now and restricting the passingers onboard.

Initial reports concerning the ship's delay have come directly from passengers onboard, according to the United States Coast Guard and other sources.

Petty Officer Jon-Paul Rios, USCG, told Cruise Critic:: "The Coast Guard was notified at 3 a.m. from a passenger reporting overflowing sewage and power outages onboard the vessel Carnival Dream.

"We contacted the cruise ship captain directly and asked what the situation was. He told us there was no problem with power or sewage, and that the main generator is fully operational. The only casualty is the propulsion system … The ship is unable to leave port until they are able to fix the problem, and staff are keeping everyone onboard for accountability purposes."

Does this sound very familiar? Something that happened with the Costa Concordia? Do Carnival Corp. officers have some sort of script to use when there's a problem?

Something to think about!

AKK

Tonka ... The back up generator was supposed to be the problem not the main one, why would you ring the US coastguard at 3 am in the morning to tell them that your toilet was not working? that is like calling the local Fire department because your microwave will not work !

Quote from Seatrade Insider ..... posted earlier.

Carnival Dream cancels next cruise, passengers to fly home from St. Maarten

font size decrease font size increase font size Print E-mail Carnival Dream passengers will be flying home from St. Maarten after the ship’s emergency diesel generator malfunctioned during a routine test, and the March 16 cruise has been canceled. Carnival Dream never lost power, on-board services—including toilets—are functional and everyone on board is safe, Carnival Cruise Lines said.

‘While the ship’s propulsion systems and primary power source were not impacted, in an abundance of caution, we prefer not to sail with guests on board without an operational back up emergency generator,’ the company said

Edited by sidari

Uni ... you know i am only joking with you seeing as you do have a sense of humour .... :)

Sid

Of course but what kind of Irishman would I be if I let a Brit off the hook on the the eve of St. Paddy's Day ? ;)

It's reminiscent of the lowering of the Union Jack, for the last time, and the raising of the Green, White and Gold, ur .. uhm , I mean Orange at Dublin Castle.

Many times when we exchange posts, I think of the following dialogue at that event. Micheal Collins was running behind schedule. When he finally arrived, the British Governor General said: "you're 15 minutes late." Collins replied: "We gave you 700 years, you can give us 15 minutes !"

Happy St. Paddy's Day from your favorite Irish cousin.:eek:

John

Edited by Uniall

Uni ... lets hope they are not late repaying the loans we took out to bail them out of their Euro fiasco! and we are not even in the damned currency .... :eek:

PIGSIC = Portugal, Ireland, Greece,Spain Italy,Cyprus ... :mad:

have a great day ... :)

Mike ... Take a look at the picture again and you will notice that the ship is tilting towards the Concordia as can be seen by the sea level on the stern, the Tug is possibly there in order to help prevent it tipping over! cannot think of any other reason that there would be a line between the ship and the Tug.

Hi Sid,

I don't know why the tug is there with just a light line to the Sevenja.

However that heavy lift vessel has a great capacity to take on and pump off ballast, not to mention shifting it within her hull. The Tug would not be needed to lift that relatively light platform.

AKK

Tonka ... The back up generator was supposed to be the problem not the main one, why would you ring the US coastguard at 3 am in the morning to tell them that your toilet was not working? that is like calling the local Fire department because your microwave will not work !

Quote from Seatrade Insider ..... posted earlier.

Carnival Dream cancels next cruise, passengers to fly home from St. Maarten

font size decrease font size increase font size Print E-mail Carnival Dream passengers will be flying home from St. Maarten after the ship’s emergency diesel generator malfunctioned during a routine test, and the March 16 cruise has been canceled. Carnival Dream never lost power, on-board services—including toilets—are functional and everyone on board is safe, Carnival Cruise Lines said.

‘While the ship’s propulsion systems and primary power source were not impacted, in an abundance of caution, we prefer not to sail with guests on board without an operational back up emergency generator,’ the company said

hey there Sid,

When ever you have the failure of emergency power you call the USCG, immdiately by law and common sense. ........they have a staff on duty 24 hours just for that purpose. The vessel by law would not be permited toi sail without USCG approval..........unless of couse the vessel was considering not telling the USCG and try and sneak out of port.

Please note the power must have been off and the *some* toilets and sewage flooded as a passinger reported it to the USCG.

The Captian reported to the USCG that the main propulsion was damaged. There is industry reports that the emergency generator defect caused the generator to be *FRIED* during the test and there was evidence that the problem may have extended to the mains........which the Captian confirmed to the USCG.

My piont here is after the lies told to the Italian CG and the lies told to the public and the USCG by Carnival on the triumpht mess, (IE there was no mechcanical problems leaving Galveston.....there was only a few toilets down and no sewage flooding), it seems the Captians may have a script to follow.

Seems Carnival Inc just never learns!

AKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

Although CNN is not known for reporting cruise lines problems accurately, the following statement belies comments about Carnival "trying to sneak out of port".

The Coast Guard was notified by Carnival that the Dream was experiencing generator issues. Carnival has not requested assistance from the Coast Guard, which has no jurisdiction in the ship's current location, Coast Guard Petty Officer Jon-Paul Rios told CNN.

I hope this can somehow help maintain the validity of CC as a source of accurate information.

Edited by swedish weave

Although CNN is not known for reporting cruise lines problems accurately, the following statement belies comments about Carnival "trying to sneak out of port".

The Coast Guard was notified by Carnival that the Dream was experiencing generator issues. Carnival has not requested assistance from the Coast Guard, which has no jurisdiction in the ship's current location, Coast Guard Petty Officer Jon-Paul Rios told CNN.

I hope this can somehow help maintain the validity of CC as a source of accurate information.

I made the statement about possibly sneaking out of port without reporting problems and that stands, I have seen it happen on ships before

The USCG does have jurisdiction as its in the waters of the American Virgin islands, the number of Americans onboard and the Dream sails in and out of US ports.

Interesting, that is not the report first issued, so your source?? because I just read the CNN reports and Maritime matters and others no mention of you posting, no new USCG statements from Rois or anyone.

Now,did the Dream contact the ST Martin Dutch CG?, if not things have not changed one little bit........as they are required to contact them.

However, that still doesn't change the fact that the statements made by the Captiain were misleading at best..........contradicts the Carnival report.

AKK

I made the statement about possibly sneaking out of port without reporting problems and that stands' date=' I have seen it happen on ships before

The USCG does have jurisdiction as its in the waters of the American Virgin islands, the number of Americans onboard and the Dream sails in and out of US ports.

Interesting, that is not the report first issued, so your source?? because I just read the CNN reports and Maritime matters and others no mention of you posting, no new USCG statements from Rois or anyone.

Now,did the Dream contact the ST Martin Dutch CG?, if not things have not changed one little bit........as they are required to contact them.

However, that still doesn't change the fact that the statements made by the Captiain were misleading at best..........contradicts the Carnival report.

AKK[/quote']

My source was a CNN article as I stated in my post.

BTW -- It took me all of thrity seconds to find the CNN article again. I choose not to argue with you any further. Try spelling Rios correctly. You will have better results.

Edited by swedish weave

My source was a CNN article as I stated in my post.

BTW -- It took me all of thrity seconds to find the CNN article again. I choose not to argue with you any further. Try spelling Rios correctly. You will have better results.

I know I don't spell well becuase my hands have issues. I find it interesting when I discuss something will a few people and they cannot back it up they decide its best to make a snarky comment about my typing and spelling and then leave.

You will understand if I ignore you in the future.

AKK

I know I don't spell well becuase my hands have issues. I find it interesting when I discuss something will a few people and they cannot back it up they decide its best to make a snarky comment about my typing and spelling and then leave.

You will understand if I ignore you in the future.

AKK

Snarky comments deserve the same in return. Yes, the ignore feature would be nice and would avoid this kind of issue.

Remember -- YOU disputed my post and asked for the source......

Edited by swedish weave

Skipper & Swede

Your exchange reminded me of my youth.

My Mom would tell me I couldn't play with Jimmy and Gene because they were always fighting. :eek:

I'd reply: "Ma, you don't want me to have any fun." ;)

John