Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Tonka ... As with all news media stuff it is sometimes hard to sort the Wheat from the Chaff .... :) as the days go by i am sure that the real reason will come out as to what the problem was/is with the Dream/Legend.

I have to say that the Captain of the Dream may well have had his hands tied by Carnival over what he could or could not say.

Uni ... I hope your mother gave you a clip round the ear for answering her back ... :p

I have been following this thread from the start with interest, but can someone please tell me if the recovery is on schedule? Also what date are we looking at for the uprighting?

Thanks

There was a delay announced some time ago. We've heard Sept now.

From following this we have also seen many weather delays this winter.

As it gets closer we hope to have more exact dates.

BlackKawk1 ... Yes i understand how ballast tanks work thanks, the Tug was obviously there for a reason seeing as it was hooked up to the crane barge!

Look at the angle of the tug. Leaning away from the ship. If it was pulling the ship to prevent it capsizing surely it would be leaning towards the ship. Also doesn't seem to be positioned correctly anyway. Would expect it to be side on as we look.

David.

My source was a CNN article as I stated in my post.

BTW -- It took me all of thrity seconds to find the CNN article again. .

Took me about the same. Whether the report is accurate or not doesn't alter the fact that it exists.

David.

Just looking at the latest progress chart it would seem that the preparations for the Parbuckle should be completed by 2nd July. This has slipped a little during the year from 22nd June in the January report.This would not be surprising as weather interferes with the recovery.

Do we think then that by 2nd July the port side Caissons will have been fitted leaving the actual Parbuckle, fitting of the starboard side Caissons, floatation and the actual sailaway in September.

Would be interesting to see if we all have the same timetable in mind.

You just have to LOL..........they have years of fires, mechcanical problems, sinking.....and a review of 1 month and they have solved all their problems!

What a joke!

AKK

You just have to LOL..........they have years of fires' date=' mechcanical problems, sinking.....and a review of 1 month and they have solved all their problems!

What a joke!

AKK[/quote']

So if it's a joke, what is your opinion of the captains for all of Carnival's (not Carnival Cruise Lines but Carnival corp) ships?

Would you say that all of the ships senior staff including maintenance are failing to protect the public by not speaking out about maintenance issues (if there really are issues)?

So if it's a joke, what is your opinion of the captains for all of Carnival's (not Carnival Cruise Lines but Carnival corp) ships?

Would you say that all of the ships senior staff including maintenance are failing to protect the public by not speaking out about maintenance issues (if there really are issues)?

That is hard question, and complicted...

My answer had to do with a Carnival lines statement they were going to do a intense, overall review of all their vessels. At first I thought it was all lines but now I understand it to be just Canrivail line.

It is not possible to do that kind of intense review in less then a month..It involves a team reviewing the vessls history, and opertions, both at sea and in the yards. The vessels records and manuals and design needs to be examined. The crews performance and ability to do the reqiured every day routine jobs and maintaince and testing.

Example, after the Splendour fire, is was found that the vessel's did not have the right manuals for the fire preventions system in the engine room. The USCG had real problems with crews performce in that fire. I know Carnival has ignored requests/questions from the USCG, on the legal basis that the Splendour is registered in Panama, and now there doesn't seem to be any information on the Splendour investigation on the Panama sites.

I fairness here, I thought the performance of the Triumphts crew in handling the fire and the problems of the 5 day tow was excellent!

So yes its a joke to announce so soon, the review is over and they are doing all the recommendation.

Ok on to your question..........

I never said it was all maintiance.........I beleive there is a combination of maintinace, operational policies, and DESIGN issues that have lead up to all these many problems over the last 5 + years.......you have to admit there is a mountian of incidents and problems!

Example.......one thing that has been reported is that they are adding dedundance systems, EI back up generators. A good start, I hope they follow though.

There has been reported issues with the electrical systems on a number of vessels built in Italy. This is a long time known issue.

Add to that the 2 lines of Carnivail Inc., that are having the most problems, are the 2 lines with cheap cruises.....Carnival and to a lessor degree, Costa........It has to make you wonder what is going on................are they cutting corners somewhere?

Now are the senoir staff of Cunard and HAL for example better then Carnivail..........sorry as I said I don't have that answer. In my years at sea and ashore I have found good and bad Officers and managers from all countries. As a general rule..............Officers from ( and this is in no specail order) the US, Canada, UK and northern Europe are the best and best trained.

I don't know the background of the engineering staff and the Captians.......all the senoir staff doesn't know everyone else job. All it takes is one thing not to be done and it can lead to a bigger problem

A merchant Marine Offiers job is to keep the vessel moving, a vessel makes money moving cargo (yes passingers are cargo) not sitting at the dock.

Like all jobs, sometimes they need to *push the thread* to keep things going.

However there is a difference between making a reasonable decision to do something based on your expreince and knoweldge and taking a totally off the bulkhead dangerous risk.

The Triumpth and the Desteny was operating for awhile with serious mechcanical problems. There is no way that the carnivail shore engineering and mangement staff did not know of the prblems.

Although no one likes to say it, but in all industries and all positions of responsiblity..........if you don't get the job done, the powers that be will find someone else.

I hope I was clear.....it was a tough question.

AKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

That is hard question' date=' and complicted...

My answer had to do with a Carnival lines statement they were going to do a intense, overall review of all their vessels. At first I thought it was all lines but now I understand it to be just Canrivail line.

It is not possible to do that kind of intense review in less then a month..It involves a team reviewing the vessls history, and opertions, both at sea and in the yards. The vessels records and manuals and design needs to be examined. The crews performance and ability to do the reqiured every day routine jobs and maintaince and testing.

Example, after the Splendour fire, is was found that the vessel's did not have the right manuals for the fire preventions system in the engine room. The USCG had real problems with crews performce in that fire. I know Carnival has ignored requests/questions from the USCG, on the legal basis that the Splendour is registered in Panama, and now there doesn't seem to be any information on the Splendour investigation on the Panama sites.

I fairness here, I thought the performance of the Triumphts crew in handling the fire and the problems of the 5 day tow was excellent!

So yes its a joke to announce so soon, the review is over and they are doing all the recommendation.[/quote']

I understand your comment now and I get your point.

Ok on to your question..........

I never said it was all maintiance.........I beleive there is a combination of maintinace' date=' operational policies, and DESIGN issues that have lead up to all these many problems over the last 5 + years.......you have to admit there is a mountian of incidents and problems!

Example.......one thing that has been reported is that they are adding dedundance systems, EI back up generators. A good start, I hope they follow though.

There has been reported issues with the electrical systems on a number of vessels built in Italy. This is a long time known issue.

Add to that the 2 lines of Carnivail Inc., that are having the most problems, are the 2 lines with cheap cruises.....Carnival and to a lessor degree, Costa........It has to make you wonder what is going on................are they cutting corners somewhere?

Now are the senoir staff of Cunard and HAL for example better then Carnivail..........sorry as I said I don't have that answer. In my years at sea and ashore I have found good and bad Officers and managers from all countries. As a general rule..............Officers from ( and this is in no specail order) the US, Canada, UK and northern Europe are the best and best trained.

I don't know the background of the engineering staff and the Captians.......all the senoir staff doesn't know everyone else job. All it takes is one thing not to be done and it can lead to a bigger problem

A merchant Marine Offiers job is to keep the vessel moving, a vessel makes money moving cargo (yes passingers are cargo) not sitting at the dock.

Like all jobs, sometimes they need to *push the thread* to keep things going.

However there is a difference between making a reasonable decision to do something based on your expreince and knoweldge and taking a totally off the bulkhead dangerous risk.

The Triumpth and the Desteny was operating for awhile with serious mechcanical problems. There is no way that the carnivail shore engineering and mangement staff did not know of the prblems.[/quote']

So the fire disabled the generator, was there not a backup as there is on the Dream? If there wasn't a back on the Triumph, how many other cruise ships industry wide don't have a backup?

The reason that the Dream didn't sail was that Carnival didn't want to sail using the backup and not have a backup. I wonder if a ship has a primary system failure and then has to rely on the backup, would the ship proceed to the nearest port to repair the primary or would they just continue with the normal cruise and repair after returning to it's home port and thus operate without a backup?

Although no one likes to say it' date=' but in all industries and all positions of responsiblity..........if you don't get the job done, the powers that be will find someone else.[/quote']

Oh, do I know it first hand.

I hope I was clear.....it was a tough question.

Completely and I appreciate your response.

I understand your comment now and I get your point.

So the fire disabled the generator, was there not a backup as there is on the Dream? If there wasn't a back on the Triumph, how many other cruise ships industry wide don't have a backup?

On the Dream they were doing a routine weekly test of the back up generator.......it fried for reasons unknown, with some reports saying it effected the mains.

Some of the Carnival lines vessel are known to not have back up systems, as customary on vessels.

The reason that the Dream didn't sail was that Carnival didn't want to sail using the backup and not have a backup. I wonder if a ship has a primary system failure and then has to rely on the backup, would the ship proceed to the nearest port to repair the primary or would they just continue with the normal cruise and repair after returning to it's home port and thus operate without a backup?

I don't know that for a fact, it is what Carnival says.The dutch CG has not made a public statement to that effect, to my knowledge.

If all the mains dies, like the Splendor, Triumph and Allegro, they don't go anywhere........the back up is only there to provide limited housekeeper power not propulsion.

Oh, do I know it first hand.

This is common Sir for people to need to*get the job done* and I am sure you do know or at least understand it is a possibility.

Completely and I appreciate your response.

No problem

AKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

In Italy, it's not just "Diamonds are Forever." It's also includes Criminal Prosecutions.

Amanda Knox, first convicted, was then found not guilty and released from prison after 4 years incarceration. Now, the Italian high court has ordered she be tried for murder, again.

We might be keeping up with this thread from the nursing home a decade from now........... LOL

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03/26/17468473-italy-court-amanda-knox-to-be-retried-for-meredith-kercher-murder?lite&gt1=43001