Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

I did not bring the story here in its translated form because the translator on my puter makes the story confusing. :rolleyes:

Found the story in the Giglio News section.

What I managed to understand is that a man, aged 42, suffered a head injury in a fall at the work site. Tho he was evacuated by helicopter he is said to be in satisfactory condition.

The latest weekly report has some close-up photos of caissons P10 and P11.

http://www.giglionews.it/images/stories/allegati/rel_sett_osservatorio210413.pdf

Thanks again for the report Ken.

If you look at the size of the sponsons in relation to the Concordia, there is ALOT of lifting air in to tanks. It shows just how little floatation capability is left within the Concordia!

AKK

Tonka ... I may be wrong here but once the caissons are filled with air/water will the concordia not still float at around its normal sailing height above the sea ?

Hi Sid,

I believe that is the plan.

I was just commenting on the massive size and capacity of the sasoons and that they will be supporting a lot of the weight of the Concordia.

I remembered our discussions on the sealing of her hull. If they do actually manage to fully seal the hull, there will still be a lot of water in her, that I guess will not be pumped out.

Now with all that water in the hull, brings up the problem of free surface..IE the water sloshing back and forth and or left and right.

I am sure they have worked all this out, but seeing the sasoons along the Concordia just kinda hit me!

AKK

Tonka ... Again guessing here but the last i saw of where the rock had been the hole was still open so it may be that they have welded shut anything around that area to stop more water going in as the ship comes upright.

They may well close all the watertight doors and weld those shut as well in order to stop any free surface movement of water, at some point they may well have to pump out some of the seawater from inside the ship.

As we can see the caissons are huge and must be around 50 feet plus tall and with all the others attached will give the ship one hell of a lot of buoyancy.

Dave.

Once again the translation is not very good.

Colleagues were waiting for him at the start of the round at midnight but, not seeing him coming, they went to call him in his room aboard the Pioneer, the platform-which houses the staff working in the Costa Concordia.

The man, 54-year old diver of Philippine nationality, was found lifeless in the shower of his own. The 118 health, immediately activated, could not help but see death.

Speaking at coast guard personnel, Police and the municipal police, the corpse was transferred to the hospital's morgue of Orbetello. A first examination of the body would think of a natural death without correlating with the last dive that dates back to 36 hours before.

Legambiente asks the Environment Ministry to demand date certain and verifiable commitments by Costa Crociere

"Find some time now and appropriate arrangements for the removal and disposal of the ship"

From start of work to date Costa Crociere was unable to provide even a hint to move the ship

"We are concerned by the continuation of the removal of the wreckage from the island of Giglio and the actual completion of the intervention. Since I started the work to date Costa Crociere was unable to provide a date, guidance, even moving. We are now beginning the second season – claim Sebastiano Venneri, head of Legambiente Sea and Angelo Gentili, of the National Secretariat of Legambiente-with the ship still folded gigliese coast. Legambiente asks the Ministry of environment that attempts by Costa Crociere certain times for removal and reassurances about the final disposal of the ship. We cannot, in fact, continue to hide behind the emergency; It is necessary to establish quickly a clear strategy to prevent incalculable damage to the coastal environment, the economy and tourism of the island ".

Beyond the choice of destination port, Legambiente calls for guaranteed correct disposal of the wreck, and in future also the Italy becomes part enable to overcome this problem.

"It is time that Italy – continue Valdez and Dear-you did a serious load of problems related to the scrapping of ships that have been downloaded so far on Indian beaches, with windfall profits for ship owners and enormous costs both in environmental terms for the health and safety of workers engaged in this work. It is known that all the world's ships are disposed of in India with poor environmental protection measures and workers. A shame that in the third millennium can no longer allow. European legislation currently under discussion, which would oblige Member States to finally draw up a list of sites equipped for this purpose, it must represent an opportunity to address this issue and identify, even for our fleet, suitable sites to the scrap heap and final treatment ".

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?from=&to=en&a=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.giglionews.it%2F2013050359653%2Fnews%2Fisola-del-giglio%2Fconcordia-legambiente-scrive-al-ministro-orlando.html%23addcomments

A TV programme 2/3 years ago showed the appalling working conditions at Alang in India where a large number of ships are broken up. They reported that, on average, there is one death a week on the beaches where the ships are run up the beaches at high tide so they can be broken up.

The steel is then recycled as reinforcement bars used in the construction industry.

The nearest Hospital is 50 kilometres (30 miles)away.

Legambiente asks the Environment Ministry to demand date certain and verifiable commitments by Costa Crociere

"Find some time now and appropriate arrangements for the removal and disposal of the ship"

From start of work to date Costa Crociere was unable to provide even a hint to move the ship

"We are concerned by the continuation of the removal of the wreckage from the island of Giglio and the actual completion of the intervention. Since I started the work to date Costa Crociere was unable to provide a date, guidance, even moving. We are now beginning the second season – claim Sebastiano Venneri, head of Legambiente Sea and Angelo Gentili, of the National Secretariat of Legambiente-with the ship still folded gigliese coast. Legambiente asks the Ministry of environment that attempts by Costa Crociere certain times for removal and reassurances about the final disposal of the ship. We cannot, in fact, continue to hide behind the emergency; It is necessary to establish quickly a clear strategy to prevent incalculable damage to the coastal environment, the economy and tourism of the island ".

Beyond the choice of destination port, Legambiente calls for guaranteed correct disposal of the wreck, and in future also the Italy becomes part enable to overcome this problem.

"It is time that Italy – continue Valdez and Dear-you did a serious load of problems related to the scrapping of ships that have been downloaded so far on Indian beaches, with windfall profits for ship owners and enormous costs both in environmental terms for the health and safety of workers engaged in this work. It is known that all the world's ships are disposed of in India with poor environmental protection measures and workers. A shame that in the third millennium can no longer allow. European legislation currently under discussion, which would oblige Member States to finally draw up a list of sites equipped for this purpose, it must represent an opportunity to address this issue and identify, even for our fleet, suitable sites to the scrap heap and final treatment ".

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?from=&to=en&a=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.giglionews.it%2F2013050359653%2Fnews%2Fisola-del-giglio%2Fconcordia-legambiente-scrive-al-ministro-orlando.html%23addcomments

I am surprised the politicians didn't start making hay over this sooner.

This is a extremely difficult and dangerous recovery operation...........and there have been delays and their will continue to be delays. So to ask for a date and time the wreck will be floated away is only for the news and not based the reality of the operation.

AS to ship wrecking:

1. not all but a good deal of the ship breaking does occur in Alang. In the states, all US flag vessel are scrapped in the states and under environment safe guards.

2. Ships owner di not get a lot of money for old ships. In the states the ship-owners actually have to pay to scrap the ship due to the safeguards.

3. If this politician is sincere, Italy can ensure the same rules in Italy.

AKK

A TV programme 2/3 years ago showed the appalling working conditions at Alang in India where a large number of ships are broken up. They reported that, on average, there is one death a week on the beaches where the ships are run up the beaches at high tide so they can be broken up.

The steel is then recycled as reinforcement bars used in the construction industry.

The nearest Hospital is 50 kilometres (30 miles)away.

Sadly all true, except they use the steel for more then just rebar!

I brought one ship to the beach to be scrapped, saddest thing for a sailor to do!

AKK

A great bit of video showing the first caisson being lifted into position on the following.

http://www.theparbucklingproject.com/multimedia_detail.php?eid=UEQCEwdeA2gEPw%3D%3D&cat=strumentazioni&type=images

What struck me on the site was the jump from 33% of work completed to 56%. When I was there last week they were still at that 33 and had been for several weeks. Glad they finally updated their site.

Hi Ken

Thanks for that.

On Giglio news it appears to suggest that the hole in the hull will be only 70% covered which seems to suggest that the bottom of the hull will still be flooded when the Parbuckle and subsequent removal takes place.

I am surprised that more Caissons havent been installed considering we are now in May and the time scale appears to be for a September parbuckle. we will then be into installing the starboard side caissons which presumably take 4/5 months to install which will mean the removal will be right in the middle of the winter period which I would have thought wouldnt be ideal for sailing such an unconventional vessel.

What does everyone think

Hi Ken

Thanks for that.

On Giglio news it appears to suggest that the hole in the hull will be only 70% covered which seems to suggest that the bottom of the hull will still be flooded when the Parbuckle and subsequent removal takes place.

I am surprised that more Caissons havent been installed considering we are now in May and the time scale appears to be for a September parbuckle. we will then be into installing the starboard side caissons which presumably take 4/5 months to install which will mean the removal will be right in the middle of the winter period which I would have thought wouldnt be ideal for sailing such an unconventional vessel.

What does everyone think

Hi All,

We have to remember that they have to keep the hull hard grounded on the platform for the time it takes to get the STBD cassions in place. This maybe the reason they will leave the hole partly open. When ready, they can weld over the remaining opening and d what ever pumping they have decided on...............for that matter, any pumping???

AKK

I was poking around looking for any recent news in the world of Concordia and ran across an article from Belle News on the audio recording between the Port Authority and Captain Schettino. It was the same one we heard over and over again but as I went down the page there was a transcript of a second conversation that I had never seen before. Perhaps some of you have but I thought I would post it in the event it was news to anyone else. The article begins with the initial conversation that transpired but then:

http://www.bellenews.com/2012/01/17/world/europe-news/black-box-transcript-audio-recording-of-captain-francesco-schettino-and-port-authority-conversation/

[A second recording appears to show another conversation between Captain Francesco Schettino and the Port Authority:]

Captain: I have spoken with the company, and there seem to be some people still onboard, possibly about one hundred.

PA: And you can’t even give me a precise number? You say “there seem to be”?

Captain: Well, we were carrying out evacuation procedures, but now all the officers have gathered on the rescue boat with me.

PA: Where are you guys? All on the reascue boat? Excuse me, earlier you told me you where with one colleague only — now all the officers are there?

Captain: Yes, there’s me, my second officer, and…

PA: If the officers were able to get down there, it means they were still able to move…

Captain: Indeed, now…

PA: Then why are they not going back on board to see what the situation is like and then tell us about it, thank you? Send them on board! Send someone on board to coordinate!

Captain: Now it’s not…

PA: Send someone back on board!

Captain: I am coordinating…

PA: I am giving you an order, Captain. You must send someone onboard!

Captain: We are going on board to coordinate ourselves…

PA: Exactly! You must go onboard to coordinate the disembarking! Is that clear?

Captain: But we can no longer get on board now, the ship has sunk completely.

PA: Why did you allow them to get off, Captain?

Captain: I didn’t… We abandoned ship.

PA: And with 100 people still on board you abandon ship? [expletive]

Captain: I didn’t abandon any ship… because the ship turned on its side quickly and we were catapulted into the water.

PA: We’ll clarify later what actually happened… for now tell me everything that goes on, everything! Place yourself under the ship with your rescue boat and don’t leave.

Captain: We’re here. We’re here.”

strange that quite a lot of Schettino`s replies are missing from the text, plus there is no possible way that someone could or would know just how many people remained onboard at the point of this conversation even if they were actually on the ship! more so because that person would not have a clue where those peolpe were.

Did the other officers if in fact what was said was true join Schettino after his earlier claim that he was alone apart from one person!

I notice there are no times recorded of this conversation to show when it took place ?

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/01/17/port-authority-to-cruise-ship-captain-get-on-board-damn-it/

Sidari, I found the same full transcript on a cnn blog dated last year. Apparently I had only read an abbreviated version of the exchange between the two and this is probably not news to anyone but me. I didn't know he actually admitted that all of the officers abandoned the ship together.

an exercept from the cnn transcript:

De Falco: "Where are you? On the lifeboats? All the officers?"

Schettino: "Yes, we are with the second commander…"

De Falco: "Forgive me, but before you were only with a sailor. If the officers managed to get down, it means that they could still move."

Schettino: "Yes...in fact...

De Falco: "Then why don’t they get back on board? To monitor the operation and then they can tell us. Thank you."