Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

I thought P 1&2 were not suppose to be set until after parbuckling. It sure looks like they are setting one right now just above the blister.

Afternoon SB,

It's the large office block/cabin/building (with the 3 windows in it's side) that you can see being lifted back onto it's horizontal platform on CC's bow. They removed it around a week ago whilst they attached the blister.

They're obviously needing more use out of it before the Parbuckle for shift breaks/meetings etc. I thought they would be removing more equipment each day now, rather than putting it back on!! It will still need to be removed again before the Parbuckle, otherwise it'll slide off into the sea!

Edited by CTH

Ok, that makes sense. When I first saw it, the position wasn't showing the openings. When I went back to look again, there they were. I was really confused with why there would be openings. :eek:

Thanks

If they are putting that back it kinda tells me that we are probably at least 2/3 weeks out from parbuckle.

Gantt chart mentioned "Place ROC back on CC" and I wondered if that was the office. Agree that it seems odd to be putting more things on CC at this point haha.

Swinging platform installed on P6 today. Probably just about time to start hooking up strand jacks to the platforms and start cinching them up.

I can only think that ROC stands for Remotely operated camera.

Unless someone can come up with anything else.

Or perhaps the camera is going to operate from the office that had just been re installed. Thought I read somewhere that amongst the monitoring equipment on board for the parbuckle would be 5 cameras.

Who knows Micki, we might never find out.

Very remiss of me to not ask before but hows the knee?

Finding out this knee business is a slow and long process. It doesn't help that my calf is swollen and pushing on a nerve. In due time, it is suppose to improve. I just want to get off the drugs.

Thanks for asking. :)

So the weekly report is posted this evening and from what I can gather so far

-The blister installation is done but not done (couple things left to pin together, should be done Monday)

-Strand Jacks installation on P4/5/6 this week (should be done Tuesday)

-Swinging platform on P6 (I think this was done Saturday)

-Still grouting

-Still welding P13

-Start connecting sponson strand jacks to underwater platforms one at a time this week.

-Tower strand jacks have all been pre-tensioned.

-good many pics of the blister installation in 2 sections of the report.

-Lone was decommissioned from the project so she's apparently done

-lots of talk of water transfer from the inland waters to Livorno. Not sure what this is. Pollution control?

All work on the Gantt chart (shows 3 weeks instead of 1) goes through Thursday 9/12. Looks like most tasks concluding 9/6 and then the remaining preparations on 9/12

Could we see parbuckling on 9/13?

http://www.giglionews.it/images/stories/allegati/rel_sett_osservatorio250813.pdf

Edited by lightman1984

I was about to ask about the water thing. The daily reports mention each and every day that they are pumping water from inside the CC into another vessel and then sending it away. Are they removing the stale and likely contaminated water inside the ship for pollution control purposes to minimize spill of all that water during parbuckling? Is it coming from enclosed inside spaces to aid in flotation of the ship???

About the "water thing". Google translates as inland water, but the original Italian says "internal water". To date they removed 30 t of sediments. I couldn't find out where exactly these sediments were, they were disposed of in Livorno.

There is also mentioning of sediments in the anchor block area, this somehow contradicts the notion of "internal" water.

Thinking about it, did they mean "inside", not internal? Relating to the area between CC and the land. Makes more sense as that is where the anchor blocks are. They also discussed water filtering by using a new de-sander.

This remains a bit unclear, they also talk about "pumping operations of inland waters to the ship ". Do they mean freshwater? But for what purpose exactly?

During blister installation they needed to level a pinnacle of rock on the seabed to allow blister installation, this took days.

And one figure, sister blister weighs 1400 tons. Obesity crisis anyone?:)

And finally, ROC = Rotation/Removal Operations Center?

It is most likely a matter of some compartments within the hull able to hold water and they are pumping all/some out into a containment vessel/barge to help float and properly distribute the stress on the hull of the CC.

The water will be taken ashore and clean up and then relapsed into the Med.

AKK

I have noticed the helipad for a long time. Is it my imagination but it looks a lot higher today. Be interesting when the Helicopter gets to work.

Not sure the 13th is a good idea for the parbuckle, especially as the accident happened on the 13th and all the connotations for the number 13, I am not superstitious but I think they might wait a day.

It is most likely a matter of some compartments within the hull able to hold water and they are pumping all/some out into a containment vessel/barge to help float and properly distribute the stress on the hull of the CC.

The water will be taken ashore and clean up and then relapsed into the Med.

AKK

When we're ready to raise a 'sinker', we'll sometimes inflate some lift bags inside hull compartments. Keeping in mind that hull/deck joints aren't designed to resist upward forces, lift is lift.

Perhaps, now that the hull is stabilized, the internal tanks that were filled with seawater are being pumped out to lighten the load a little bit? Clearwater tanks, grey water tanks, fuel tanks... it could all be weight reducing, stress reducing, flotation now that sliding into the abyss is no longer a concern?

I finished my packing today, thirteen days before we leave for Vancouver for a 27 day Trans Pacific cruise to Australia.

Sharon Rae told me "don't blame me when everything is wrinkled after boarding."

I told her: 'You can take care of it dear, bring an iron."

I have to sign off for a few hours and go the hospital for the head wound caused by the iron.

John

The number 13 is not a problem for the Italians because their supersticious number is 17, hence no deck 17 on their ships.

Life can be so difficult: 13 no good, 4 (and 14) no good in many Asian countries, incl China, Friday 13 no good.

Are there any times of the day or days in the month left to do some actual work? Didn't they have staff from some 10 or more nations on site at CC?

:)

When we're ready to raise a 'sinker', we'll sometimes inflate some lift bags inside hull compartments. Keeping in mind that hull/deck joints aren't designed to resist upward forces, lift is lift.

Perhaps, now that the hull is stabilized, the internal tanks that were filled with seawater are being pumped out to lighten the load a little bit? Clearwater tanks, grey water tanks, fuel tanks... it could all be weight reducing, stress reducing, flotation now that sliding into the abyss is no longer a concern?

I agree,:D by engineering the best possible distribution of weight within the hull you assist in getting the best result during the righting and minimize stress on the hull.

I don't think the hull is likely to break apart during the righting, but you don't want to stress or damage her to the point it may cause problems during the tow to the breakers yard, wherever that ends up being.

AKK