San Francisco hotel for pre/post cruise

Habs_Fan

Lots of umm "interesting" advice in here. While the Argonaut, Tuscan Inn and now the Fairmont Ghirardelli Square are all very fine hotels, Fisherman's Wharf is the least recommended place to stay by locals. Union Square, which is no way unsafe or "scary" (I have no idea where that notion came from) is the best place to stay for being central, great hotels, great dining, great shopping and access to BART, buses and cable cars. The Embarcadero is the next most recommended and Nob Hill for those who want the luxury.

Fisherman's Wharf is a pale imitation of what it once was, tacky tourist shops have moved in, overpriced mediocre restaurants abound and it doesn't have great access to public transportation.

The only hotels in San Francisco that offer free shuttles are the ones immediately near the airport. No hotel in SF proper has a free shuttle.

Kimpton Hotels and JDV Hotels have many fine hotels in Union Square & the Embarcadero.

Well the good news is you can "move" the Fairmont right up the hill from Ghirardelli Square to Nob Hill...

The San Francisco Fairmount is the flagship and original Fairmount hotel.

The Mark Hopkins is on top of the Nob as well and so is The Stamford.

Down the hill we have a Ritz-Carleton and the sister property the Intercontinental south of market. Personally I like the Marines Memorial and the Queen Anne for smaller more charming hotels.

St. Francis is right on Union Square. Hotel Monaco is a cool property. The Palomar is another smaller hotel.

We have no shortage of good hotels, it depends on what you like. Old school? Hip? Classic? Charming? Budget?

Well the good news is you can "move" the Fairmont right up the hill from Ghirardelli Square to Nob Hill...

The San Francisco Fairmount is the flagship and original Fairmount hotel.

The Mark Hopkins is on top of the Nob as well and so is The Stamford.

Down the hill we have a Ritz-Carleton and the sister property the Intercontinental south of market. Personally I like the Marines Memorial and the Queen Anne for smaller more charming hotels.

St. Francis is right on Union Square. Hotel Monaco is a cool property. The Palomar is another smaller hotel.

We have no shortage of good hotels, it depends on what you like. Old school? Hip? Classic? Charming? Budget?

Mmmmmm, slight corrections, The Ritz Carlton and Stanford Court are "sister" hotels, both being Marriott properties.

The Mark Hopkins is an Intercontinental hotel, so it is the sister of the SOMA ICH property, but I would only stay SOMA for a function at the Convention Center.

Palomar & Monaco are both Kimpton properties and for cute boutiques I'd look at the JDV Hotels, the White Swan Inn and Petit Auberge or Stash's Inn at Union Square.

Archived