Norwegian Epic - Inside versus balcony.

NODAK1979

I'll admit it, I'm kind of cheap. Unfortunately, with cruises, there isn't a lot of leeway in prices from one site to another...so it kind of "is what it is".

That said, the Epic is a ship we've looked at for a while. We did a Norwegian cruise last year and liked the freestyle aspect. This is because neither one of us particularly wants to feel we have to ever dress up or that we have to eat with strangers. From what I've read of some other lines, dressing up can be a near must for at least a couple nights a week. I dress up 5 days a week at work (see this tie around my neck?)...I don't wanna do it on vacation.

Anyway...

The balconies are pretty expensive...at least I think so. The inside ones are pretty reasonable. Do you feel there is a marked difference in cruise enjoyment for people who choose inside versus balcony on a ship like this?? When I say a "ship like this", I mean one that seems to have a LOT to do. Well, that's what the ship description makes it seem anyways..it looks absolutely huge.

The difference, for two people, is around 700 dollars or so for a week cruise. Inside would be 1400 or so...balcony is 2100. Is the difference really worth it??

I suppose this question is for people who actually price things out....millionaires probably will have a different answer. :)

The balcony staetrooms are much bigger than insides so be prepared......I am claustrophobic ...so you KNOw what I choose

I spend time on the balcony LOTS OF it I read Dry my hair watch the ocean ,stars ,moon etc BUT thats me

What are YOUr priorities ...mine is fresh sea air If you don't care stick with inside

Personally I don't think there is any problem with inside cabins. I've cruised more insides than window or balcony cabins. I just love the cruise experience.

There was an awesome thread a while back of a balcony and/or Suite Cruiser deciding to try a "cheap" cruise with an inside. They came back and posted their experience and said it was wonderful.

I say go for the Inside and enjoy your cruise!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1551158

we cruised for the first time in a inside cabin on the epic, we had myself ,husband and 2 kids we have always had at least an out side cabin but for 4 of us to go in a balcony was crazy so we took an inside and it was crowded and but had room for everything. the ship has so much to do you really are not in the cabin much so save the money and enjoy the ship when you have an inside you do more stuff on the ship. go and have fun.

Personally we prefer balconies and can't imagine sailing without one. However I understand the need to save money and I'd rather cruise an inside cabin than not cruise at all.

Most ships have plenty of space to be outside however I've heard the Epic has fewer public spaces outside.

If you really want to go on the Epic, try to get the least expensive cabin with a balcony and you won't regret it.

have fun either way!

If it wasn't for my wife "needing" to see the ocean I would have no issues with an inside room. Is it nicer to look out over the water? Sure. Is it necessary to have a good time? I don't think so. It almost guarantees that you be out and about doing things, and with a ship like Epic with so much to do that would actually be a really good thing.

Hi Nodak1979.

My wife and I have cruised on the Norwegian Star ( inside stateroom ) and have cruised also on the Mariner of the Seas ( inside stateroom ) and a number of others ships also with ( inside staterooms ). Only one we have had with balcony stateroom was Pacific Princess sailing to the South Pacific off Australia... Inside Staterooms for mine are fine and one thing about them is that you get a good night sleep as they are very very dark, however having said that our only experience in the Balcony Stateroom was absolutely fantastic. More space in the cabin and with the balcony it gives you a feeling of overall space compared to an inside. Whether the difference in price between an Interior and Balcony is worth it, I don't know it is very debateable????. In May this year we are doing our first trip on the Norwegian Jade, 14 nighter to the Eastern Mediterrean/Adriatic. We originally booked an Interior Stateroom and when we thought about it, we decided we may never get there again and it is our dream cruise so we upgraded to a Mid ships Balcony Stateroom. Although the price went up quite sharply we decided to run with it as we decided we may see a lot of sights from our balcony and no need to run upstairs all the time. Anyways, I think it is a personal choice that is hard to answer.. I guess if the two stateroom categories ( Inside & Balcony ) were close in price everyone would go Balcony.

Whatever you choose enjoy your cruise on the Epic..

Regards Bob & Chris.:):):)

While I started off with insides and have no problem sailing in them I appreciatte having a balcony. My own private Haven and I do use my balcony

It all depends on how much time you will spend in your cabin.

When I cruised insides I was out and about more than now.

balconies are nice, of course, but plenty of people sail happily in inside cabins. if you can have the "use the cabin to sleep, shower and change" attitude, book the inside. the money can be saved or spent on all those extras. Or perhaps, after locking in your inside cabin price, the price of a balcony cabin will drop and you can upgrade. it is pretty easy to get the cruise line to let you pay a bit more for a better cabin:)

First off let me say that you will absolutely love the Epic. My husband and I went on it Sept 2011 and we took the kids this past Dec. We did the balcony both times because that is what my husband prefers, however most people will spend very little time in their room (because there is a lot to do!). If you don't care to go out to the balcony then I think you will be just fine in an inside room.

We've also been on the Epic several times, and are already booked again for February 2013. Our first foray into cruising (prior to the Epic) was in an inside cabin. Since then, we've never strayed from a balcony cabin. Unless you strictly obey your alarm clock (which everyone does while on vacation) we found that the absence of light in an inside cabin easily caused us to oversleep.

So, in our view, the extra cost of the balcony cabin is actually an assurance that you'll wake up with the sun, have a leisurely breakfast (perhaps on your balcony), and still have lots of time to enjoy the morning.

I'll admit it, I'm kind of cheap. Unfortunately, with cruises, there isn't a lot of leeway in prices from one site to another...so it kind of "is what it is".

That said, the Epic is a ship we've looked at for a while. We did a Norwegian cruise last year and liked the freestyle aspect. This is because neither one of us particularly wants to feel we have to ever dress up or that we have to eat with strangers. From what I've read of some other lines, dressing up can be a near must for at least a couple nights a week. I dress up 5 days a week at work (see this tie around my neck?)...I don't wanna do it on vacation.

Anyway...

The balconies are pretty expensive...at least I think so. The inside ones are pretty reasonable. Do you feel there is a marked difference in cruise enjoyment for people who choose inside versus balcony on a ship like this?? When I say a "ship like this", I mean one that seems to have a LOT to do. Well, that's what the ship description makes it seem anyways..it looks absolutely huge.

The difference, for two people, is around 700 dollars or so for a week cruise. Inside would be 1400 or so...balcony is 2100. Is the difference really worth it??

I suppose this question is for people who actually price things out....millionaires probably will have a different answer. :)

We tried an oceanview one time. Never again. It's a balcony or nothing.

Anyway...

We were two weeks on a balcony on the Epic and I did love it. However you are right in that there is SO much to do that if money is tight you would be happy in an inside...

We did not spend near the amount of time in the room as I originally thought we would. We did buy Spa Passes and THAT was very worth it to me!

You could also use the extra on excursions or Cirque Dinner...

Pluses of an inside - great sleeping because it is so dark.

Minuses- even the balcony staterooms on the Epic are tight, the insides are even tighter. and you don't know if it is day or night without a window.

However, of all the cruises I've been on, I was in my room the least amount of time on the Epic.

If the dark cabin and tight space in the cabin won't bother you, go for the inside and save the money.

I love a balcony stateroom - there's nothing more enjoyable than sitting on the balcony and watching the ocean. However, the last two cruises, we had the misfortune of being sandwiched between families with screaming, young children who insisted on leaving their balcony doors open. So much for quiet enjoyment. In the evenings, we were subjected to the loud, drunk parents who drank and argued on the balcony because their kids were asleep inside the cabin. Despite our love for balcony cabins, we have vowed to get an inside cabin next cruise. Why spend extra money for a balcony that we may not be able to enjoy.

I love a balcony stateroom - there's nothing more enjoyable than sitting on the balcony and watching the ocean. However, the last two cruises, we had the misfortune of being sandwiched between families with screaming, young children who insisted on leaving their balcony doors open. So much for quiet enjoyment. In the evenings, we were subjected to the loud, drunk parents who drank and argued on the balcony because their kids were asleep inside the cabin. Despite our love for balcony cabins, we have vowed to get an inside cabin next cruise. Why spend extra money for a balcony that we may not be able to enjoy.

Isn't there any sort of process for complaining?? You'd think there'd have to be...

Archived