What to Wear

JimC

We will be visiting Beijing and Xian, then joing a Princess cruise visiting Nagasaki, Shaghai, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Singapore and Bangkok. While the shore excursion book warns about no shorts in temples in Bangkok, are walking shorts OK to wear during shore excursions in these other places if it should be warm? As far as I can determine it could be in the 90's in Vietnam and Singapore and I just can't feature wearing long pants.

Gorka, we will be arriving in Beijing on October 18 and spending a week there and in Xian. I suspect it will be cool then. We board a ship and will be sailing towards warmer climates in Hong Kong, Vietnam, Singapore and Bangkok, arriving in Bangkok on November 8th. I suspect temperatures will be more suitable for shorts than jeans, but we have no idea what is acceptable to wear ashore during the day. We are aware of restrictions in Bangkok when visiting temples so will wear pants, but don't have a clue in Vietnam and Singapore. I suspose in Hong Kong you'll find people wearing everything. (??)

Thanks for any advice.

Jim

• 1 month later...
Gorka, we will be arriving in Beijing on October 18 and spending a week there and in Xian. I suspect it will be cool then. We board a ship and will be sailing towards warmer climates in Hong Kong, Vietnam, Singapore and Bangkok, arriving in Bangkok on November 8th. I suspect temperatures will be more suitable for shorts than jeans, but we have no idea what is acceptable to wear ashore during the day. We are aware of restrictions in Bangkok when visiting temples so will wear pants, but don't have a clue in Vietnam and Singapore. I suspose in Hong Kong you'll find people wearing everything. (??)

Thanks for any advice.

Jim

Jim,

You'll hardly see anyone other than german and american tourists wearing shorts in asia in the city streets no matter what the weather is.

Are shorts or jeans your *only* option? Could you possibly buy some cotton (or linen) pants since you have a problem with getting hot? We've been to Asia a number of times in all seasons, and even when Bangkok was 110 degrees, no one wore shorts. However, you're going in October so it won't be as hot - also Vietnam is not as humid as Bangkok or Hong Kong. In HK, you'll see alot of men and women in business suits during the day and in the restaurants in the evenings.

Jane

• 4 weeks later...

Shorts would be fine in Singapore, except in Hindu Temple. It's so hot there so shorts are the only thing I'd wear. I don't know about Hong Kong and Vietnum. You'll freeze in shorts in Japan in October.

Archived