Swim diapers on Carnival cruise?

MommyLB

Hi -- Love these boards! I'm learning so much. I never knew babies weren't allowed in pools. Is this really enforced? Is there a toddler's pool where swim diapers are allowed? My son will be 21 months during our cruise in early August and I can't imagine not taking him in the pool! We haven't booked yet but are considering Carnival Inspiration.

An edit to this message: My husband just called Carnival and they told him swim diapers are allowed. Perhaps the other posts referred to other cruiselines.

From Carnival's website (FAQ's- under age policy/restrictions):

Use of the Pools:

Due to United States Public Health (USPH) Regulations, we do not allow children in diapers or those not toilet-trained in the pools.

Lifeguards are not on duty.

Use of the pools by guests under 13 without adult supervision is prohibited.

I took my 2 year old on the Carnival Glory and swim diapers were not allowed in the pool, but the Glory did have a todler pool where children in swim diapers were allowed. You might want to check and see the ship you are considering has a tolder pool as not all of the ships do.

She was happy playing in the kiddie pool and didn't seem to miss getting in the big pool, plus it was nice for me to sit, play with her and watch and not have to actually swim her around the pool.

Just a thought! Why would you want your toddler in a pool that allow swim diapers? If its a health hazard in a normal pool would it not be more dangerous with a pool full of the "fecal tea bags"?

I called Carnival again and this time the person said swim diapers are NOT allowed in the toddler's pool. (I don't want to pass on wrong information.) They also told me all their ships have a children's pool. I think I'll just wait till we get there and scope it out. If he can't go in the pool we can live with it!

I guess we take our chances when we use public pools, resort pools or waterparks. I was just at a Disney resort recently and there was a large "present" left on the bottom of the pool. They had to clear the pool of people and add a heavy dose of chlorine. I don't know when they let people get back into the pool after that because we left the pool area. This was in the main pool and I think it was more likely from an older child who was lazy or didn't know better!

I remember when my daughter was a baby (she is 16 now) babies were always in public pools with regular diapers and I dont recall any notices about health issues. Luckily I never did see anything floating around!

• 2 weeks later...

PLease remember the pools on ships (I know they are on carnival) are filled with salt water, not chlorinated water. That is the reason behind the no swim diapers in any pool. There is not chlorine bleach to decontaminate the water at all.

Also remember, salt water can be very harsh on a young child's skin as well.

My daughter just turned 2 and we're going on a cruise in June (NCL's Dawn out of NY to Bahamas). I found bathing suits with a diaper built right in. It's a layer of cloth, then a layer of plastic, then the outer nylon layer. I used it on her last year at the beach and it worked great. It didn't leak and her little bottom wasn't even the least bit damp from the ocean. I highly recommend them. You can find both girls and boys at Target.;)

Guest Time2gocruzn

Just off Miracle. There is a toddler pool, but no swim diapers allowed. There are signs posted at every pool, no swim diapers. Kind of a bummer as our 21 month old would have liked to swim. We usually went to the pool when he was napping in his stroller and stayed where we could see him. I saw others with their little ones in the pool (most likely wearing a swimdiaper, judging by how old the kids looked) but I didn't want to risk it. If the pools are not chlorinated, I didn't want my lil one in there anyway, KWIM?:) Oh well, he got his swimming in at the beach, LOL!

Archived