What is the best ship for Galapagos?

cruisintebo

We are a group of about 6 couples who want to tour Galapagos and also visit Machu Pichu. What is the best cruiseline/ship/tour company to use? We are pretty clueless and need some recommendations.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Mary

We went to the Galapagos 2 years ago on Celebrity's Xpedition, and it was perhaps the best cruise (out of 15) that we have ever taken. We went in April, and saw all of the animals that we expected. The naturalists agreed that April is their favorite time of year in the Galapagos.

Check out the Celebrity Xpedition Roll Calls

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=278

There are 2 threads: Xpedition-Anyone Recently Back? that provide answers to any question that you may have.

I would very much recommend International Expeditions as the source for both the Galapagos Islands and Machu Picchu . We went to MP after a river cruise on the Amazon and both trips were just amazing. The conditions in Peru at the time (about 10 years ago) were pretty primitative that far into the Amazon River (Ranger Station 3 among other spots) but the food and the facilities were very well controlled and we did not get sick!! The guides and other staff on the boats in the Amazon were amazing gentlemen. Machu Picchu is a truly magical place. The guides, transportation, food and experience were all fantastic and the traveler does not worry -- it is all done for you and you just have to be amazed. Last August we did Galapagos on the MS Evolution which held 30 people. The guides, Dr, and ships crew was amazing. From the 14 year old photography student (wonderful girl) to the retired "Queens" 3 of older plucky women everyone had an amazing time. The guides are from the Islands and are sworn law officers to protect this special place. Amazing is all I can say. Excellent food, ship was comfortable and many many activities and the naturalists were outstanding. The small size of the tours means that you get lots of attention and your questions are answered and no time wasted on waiting for groups to go in and out. GI has new routes this year made by law and IE has the better itenerary available.

The phone number is 1800 234 9620 and the web site is nature@ietravel.com I loved both of my trips and thought the value was very much there. A call will answer your questions and perhaps you will like IE as much as I have.

• 4 weeks later...
We are a group of about 6 couples who want to tour Galapagos and also visit Machu Pichu. What is the best cruiseline/ship/tour company to use? We are pretty clueless and need some recommendations.

Mary

Hi Mary,

The Celebrity's Xpedition is the only one that I would consider for a second Galapagos cruise. It accommodates only 100 passengers and is the largest of the fleet of cruise ships that I saw in the Islands. The only other cruise ships that I saw in the Galapagos were large cabin cruisers.

You will be aboard the ship for seven days and motion sickness could be a problem with the ship anchored in coves and bays as opposed to tied up to at dock at night. I found that Bonine, generic name: meclizine. worked wonders. One pill a day and I felt no nausea at all.

The ship will reposition at night and you will explore the Islands on zodiac boats during the day.

I can’t comment on Macho Pico as we did not opt for the part of the trip, just three days in Quito before the cruise.

We had to wait about two years to get a reservation for two. Good luck on booking all 12 of your party.

Cheers, VegasPier

They have 3 small ships (20 passengers + 2 naturaists) and do a great job. You can add a Machu Picchu extension. Tower Island is one of few places where you can see red footed boobies and there is a restriction of no more than 20 people on the island at a time. This may have changed since we were there in 2008.

The small ship does mean more rough sailing! If sea sickness is not an issue, I would recommend Ecoventura. Celebrity and Lindblad run slightly larger ships with ~100 passengers.

• 2 months later...

We went with Lindblad/National Geographic last year to the Galapagos and Machu Picchu. It is one of the more expensive alternatives but it was top notch all the way. We had a week in the Urubamba Valley culminating in two days at MP. We loved Cusco. All the hotels and restaurants were stellar and incredibly beautiful to boot. We didn't have to lift a finger and could save our energy and our breath for dealing with the altitude, which deserves respect.

Lindblad has two ships in the G, the Endeavor (100 pax) and the Islander (48). We took the Islander which is by far the smallest ship we have ever been on. It was an incredible adventure, but not for those who like their creature comforts - no robes, no tv, no elevator, etc. It was fine for folks like us who were up at 6, in the water or hiking all day, and exhausted and ready for bed by 9 or 10. For someone wanting to spend more time on the ship (why, I don't know, but anyhow), looking for nightlife, or having mobility issues I would choose the slightly larger Endeavor.

For photography buffs, Lindblad has a few sailings with NatGeo photographers aboard who do workshops along the way.

We sailed on Canodros' Galapagos Explorer II, arranged by General Tours, last October and had a great time. It's about the same size as the other larger boats mentioned - 80-90 passengers. I believe 90 pax is the limit for a Galapagos ship. They were a first class operation, and you can book with them directly.

If we did it again, I would book a small cabin cruiser, though!

Here's a link to my pix:

and

got a bunch of baby sea lion (squee!) videos (and others) on my youtube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/realcatena

We sailed on the M/V Evolution operated by Qazar but for our trip chartered by International Expeditions and with the super great tour leader Balli. The ship is fairly basic with wooden floors in the cabins with twin beds, adequate bathroom but not luxury, an inside dining room and a wonderful back deck area for dining, a comfortable lounge that all could gather for lectures etc. and an open -air deck/lounge on the back upper floor. No pool but a wonderful large hot tub. The water deck on the back was excellent for entering the rubber boats and for swimming/snorkeling off of. (Seals also liked to crawl up and sun on the deck!).

This trip the important features are the knowledgeable guides, the outstanding beauty and diversity of the environment, good food and safety (Dr. on board, Captain and crew knowledge of the islands/currents and food/water safe for US tummies:rolleyes:) IMHO the small ship (yacht) is better because of the rules for how many can go on a beach or in an area per day/week/ trip and this is government regulation. All the guides are first loyalty to their status as National Park Rangers for the government of Ecuador. The rules are the same for all ships and the bigger ships are only allowed in "some" of the islands. Rules were tightened in 2012 because certain islands were showing stress (the same islands that had the tortoise and the blue footed boobies and other things tourists most want to see.) Our guide was concerned that we all go on different "paths" (really NO path at all and very hard to walk with sand, moss, lava,rocks, stones, weeds, and dumb birds that expect you to go around them cause they ain't moving!:p ) so that animal populations seen and unseen would not be stressed. A foot step in this fragile area can impact for years and thus a million rules are needed and enforced. Any vendor that permits any situation other than strict following of the rules will not be allowed even in the park. So as you pick your cruise (and MP extention) find a boat that is comfortable but don't be too impressed with creature comforts -- the experience is so marvelous that all you will have energy for is a good dinner, a short lecture by the guides on what you will see the next day, a sunset drink with fellow travelers and an EARLY fall into bed to do it again tomorrow. It is wonderful.

Lindblad has two ships in the G, the Endeavor (100 pax) and the Islander (48). We took the Islander which is by far the smallest ship we have ever been on. It was an incredible adventure, but not for those who like their creature comforts - no robes, no tv, no elevator, etc. It was fine for folks like us who were up at 6, in the water or hiking all day, and exhausted and ready for bed by 9 or 10. For someone wanting to spend more time on the ship (why, I don't know, but anyhow), looking for nightlife, or having mobility issues I would choose the slightly larger Endeavor.

For photography buffs, Lindblad has a few sailings with NatGeo photographers aboard who do workshops along the way.

I totally agree w you. Hard to believe that there are people who go to the Galapagos and feel that they need robes, tv, elevators and nightlife but I guess that there are all sorts out there.

DON

My husband and I agree with Dileep. We recommend Ecoventura with no hesitation. Your group of 12 could practically fill the ship. Our two naturalist/guides were excellent. The entire captain and crew were excellent. A 20-passenger boat can visit island the larger boats cannot, as dileep noted. Maximum group size for twice daily landings is 10, which is great.

Mary

We just returned. Celebrity Expedition was absolutely wonderful. Get Iternirary A if possible. April is best month. We saw every possible species. I do not believe that the small ships have any advantage and you will not be pampered. You will be treated like royalty by Celebrity.

Stan

We did the 11-day package (Quito/Galapagos) on Celebrity Xpedition. This was my "bucket list" cruise, and it did not disappoint in any way.

(You know, I have a feeling you can't go wrong on any ship. It's the Galapagos itself you are going to see. And any time of year will be exciting.)

Kathy

My husband and I agree with Dileep. We recommend Ecoventura with no hesitation. Your group of 12 could practically fill the ship. Our two naturalist/guides were excellent. The entire captain and crew were excellent. A 20-passenger boat can visit island the larger boats cannot, as dileep noted. Maximum group size for twice daily landings is 10, which is great.

We took a 12 passenger boat in the Galapagos in 1986. We shared one landing spot with a "big" ship and were glad we were not on her. The crowd was no fun, their landings took them forever. We had some "wet" landings where we waded to shore. You won't find that on the big ships.

We dined on fish that we and the crew caught. I fondly recall no TV, no radio, no entertainment, fairly spartan conditions, shared shower, excellent naturalist, great fellow passengers and bunk beds. I recommend the small boats for fit individuals that put viewing natural wonders above creature comforts.

We had some "wet" landings where we waded to shore. You won't find that on the big ships.

Just to clarify, from our 'big' ship, we took zodiacs to the islands, and a number of the landings were wet. We also did a few 'deep water' snorkels off the zodiacs.

Mary

Do you have any idea what you want-big ship, small ship, luxury, more rugged but more adventurous??? How many days do you have??? Do you want to dive or are you content to snorkel?? Lots and lots of questions with a large variety of answers.

My brother has been three times and he insists on the Dancer boats because his group all scuba dives. I have been once and chose a luxury sailboat which now operates out of Fiji.

Here is an excellent list of 95% of the boats that operate in the Galapagos. Some of the boat operators can set up an entire tour (plane from US to Ecuador, transport to the Galapagos, cruise through the Galapagos and return to someplace) and some will send you to other agencies. Again, depends on how much "hand holding" you want. I personally prefer to make all my own arrangements. I have done the research and certainly don't expect anyone to rescue me from my own mistakes. But that approach is not for everyone.

I will say-I sure wouldn't get on one of the large ships unless you absolutely want the "cruise ship" experience. You just miss too much. Sailing through the Galapagos under full sail in a smallish boat (16 pax max with only 4 onboard) was really wonderful. We docked next to a fairly large yacht (about 50 people, I would guess). We were off and enjoying the wildlife while they were trying to get organized to get everyone off.

http://www.galapagosislands.com/galapagos-cruise.html

I would like to offer one recommendation....we loved the Celebrity Xpedition , but we decided to book only the cruise. The entire land portion we booked on our own and I am so glad we did. We stayed 7 days in Ecuador , visiting historic Haciendas and Quito. Then we flew to the Galapagos and stayed a night at an Eco resort before leaving the next day on our cruise.

It was an incredible trip in every way.

Here is my trip report with photos :

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1444153&highlight=galapagos

While the land portion of what Celebrity offers is "seamless" , I feel it leaves out the opportunity to really see Ecuador , a fascinating and unique country. Just something to consider.

The cruise itself was perfect. We really felt we had an excellent experience with the wildlife . The Waved Albatross doing their mating dance was unforgettable . We sat there transfixed and were in no way rushed by our guide.

Do try to get in zodiacs with peolpe who have the same physical abilites as you , as it does make a difference. We ended up making a "group" that met our needs , which was nice.

You will love the Galapagos!

Kim

• 4 weeks later...

Mary

Until you define your selection parameters, nobody can give you a meaningful answer to this question.

For example in another cruise location, if someone were to ask me what the best ship to take in Alaska was, I would tell them that is is a small boat that holds maybe 50 people. To me. that was the best AK cruise I have ever taken.

The same problem applies to your question so any answers you have gotten so far are essentially useless.

DON

Archived