Rough Weather on Circle Hawaii Cruise?

Waltzing Reg

As a Navy retiree (and being on a stablized ship), rough seas generally do not bother me, but my wife tends to have some seasickness on cruises. Can anyone who has been on the Circle Hawaii Cruise tell me if the weather and seas were unusually rough and whether there was more seasickness than usual on the trip? My recollection is that the seas between the continental US and Hawaii can be rougher than expected. Thanks.

We did the Hawaiian cruise the end of March.

Two rough sea days when we left San Diego.

The last 2 sea days back to San Diego were rough.

We also had very rough seas the day we tendered to Lahaina -- extremely rough tender rides -- for a couple of hours all tender service was stopped.

We went out in December and didn't have what I'd call rough seas but we had long frequency pitching which some folks found uncomfortable. We though it was interesting to look from the back of the ship and watch it dip and rise. m--

We also had very rough seas the day we tendered to Lahaina -- extremely rough tender rides -- for a couple of hours all tender service was stopped.

At Lahaina, does HAL use its own lifeboats or local boats for tenders?

Woody

We were on the holiday cruise last year and YES, it was very rough the first two days out of San Diego. Many miserable people and lots of funny walking! Outside deck closed for walking at times. We were okay, but took it very easy moving about. We were told that that was typical... late Dec/early Jan.

We sailed out of Vancouver last Sept and hit very rough weather the first night and ended up stalling near Victoria and that night it was so rough that our night table drawers were going out and going in going out and going in.

The next day was supposed to have a formal night but it was postponed due to so many passengers not willing to come out of their cabins. We were only making headway of about 2 knots/hour. I could have walked faster. Lots of sea sick bags at the elevator.

We missed our first port of call, Kona, due to the weather.

Later in the cruise we missed our Maui port of call as we were facing six foot swells for the tender and as the average age on this cruise was 79 the Captain did not want to risk any passengers scrambling onto it.

Captain made an announcement that he had been sailing 30+ years and this was his second roughest crossing :eek:.

Rockfan2

Archived