st maarten nudity need honest answer

jake97

Thanks,

we are also planning to visit Orient Beach..

does Orient beach face a problem with local or other visitors taking out our photos whilst on the beach..

What can I do if someone takes out our photo whilst on Orient beach

I am fairly certain that in France it is illegal to take a picture of anyone without their permission, clothed or otherwise. Call for "un officier de police", "un gendarme". They do patrol Orient fairly regularly.

If you are visiting the Club Orient section of the beach (clothing optional) their security force will actively enforce a no-camera policy, and I, personally, have seen a camera thrown into the water when a photo-taking visitor wouldn't comply with their instructions.

gary

p.s. Telephoto lenses from the taxi staging area at Pedro's would probably still be a problem. Solution, wander deep into the Club O property before you 'get natural'.

I've never seen nudity on any other island in the Caribbean other than St. Maarten. I've been to over a dozen islands so far.

What other islands allow topless sunbathers on their public beaches?<snip>

I've been to a lot more than a dozen, but of the more common destinations, there is topless and full nudity on St. Barths, Martinique, Guadeloupe, Hawksbill on Antigua, and, of course, many of the all-inclusive beaches of Jamaica (think Hedonism and Negril).

There are also a few specific resorts in Cancun, Riviera Maya and even Cabo that have nude sections.

Bonaire and the Dominican Republic apparently have such resorts, but I haven't been there, yet.

gary

I've been to a lot more than a dozen, but of the more common destinations, there is topless and full nudity on St. Barths, Martinique, Guadeloupe, Hawksbill on Antigua, and, of course, many of the all-inclusive beaches of Jamaica (think Hedonism and Negril).

There are also a few specific resorts in Cancun, Riviera Maya and even Cabo that have nude sections.

Bonaire and the Dominican Republic apparently have such resorts, but I haven't been there, yet.

gary

Hi Gary,

I think you've covered many of the islands I haven't been to yet:) I think for the most part, though, that the average cruiser is not going to encounter topless beaches on most of the typical Caribbean destinations, unless they specifically seek out that type of beach. St. Maarten, of course, is an exception.

I've visited beaches in St. Thomas, Tortola, Barbados, Grenada, Cozumel, Costa Maya, Roatan, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and others I can't remember, and never ran into any clothing optional beaches except St. Maarten. Went to Bonaire last year and loved it, but we spent the day snorkeling and didn't get to the beach.

I just didn't want others who might be worried that nudity in the Caribbean was commonplace. It's not an issue to me, but I know others prefer otherwise.

really want to go to Orient Bay Beach but one traveller has 3 teenage boys - so truth please are there areas we can go enjoy the beach, bars, food and water sports without nudity (i am not worried but the Mom is)

You can't protect them forever, but nudity is not displayed that much on Orient beach unless you are at Club Orient.

Look at this link.

http://edsandra.com/photos2005/LargeOrientPanorama.htm

Tell the cab drive to take you to Kakao or Kon Tiki or whatever he recommends on that day.

• 6 months later...

Why is the concern always about topless women? What about the totally nude men? If the OP is so concerned about the "teenage boys" seeing a topless woman, then don't go to a "NUDE" Beach. It's not like the boys have never seen that before. They're teenager's for goodness sakes! Why do so many of us American's still act like Purists'?

You can't protect them forever, but nudity is not displayed that much on Orient beach unless you are at Club Orient.

Look at this link.

http://edsandra.com/photos2005/LargeOrientPanorama.htm

Tell the cab drive to take you to Kakao or Kon Tiki or whatever he recommends on that day.

Great link - thanks! I don't see Orange fever - do you know where that is?

I've never seen nudity on any other island in the Caribbean other than St. Maarten. I've been to over a dozen islands so far. What other islands allow topless sunbathers on their public beaches?

As for St. Maarten, I don't remember any topless bathers at Dawn Beach on the Dutch side, but maybe it was just a slow day. I've seen plenty at Orient, but my kids did not seem to be overly disturbed by the sight when we went- I think it was more of a novelty than an issue for them.

Punta Cana in the DR. We've seen plenty and done it there as well (topless). Also gone topless in Jamaica (Negril) with plenty of others and on the beaches in Riviera Maya Mexico (it's illegal, but not enforced).

At Sunset Bar and Grill (Maho Beach) girls drink free if they are topless! We took advantage, but were asked to stay at the bar and not wander around the restaurant.

orange fever is part of orient beach - from another thread:

My personal choice would be Orange Fever -- I think you nailed it. It has it all except for (live) music, but Pedro's often offers that and is close enough to hear it comfortably without being too loud.

Chair, umbrella, free drink, restroom, changing room, beach service for $7 with lots of beers for $2 or perhaps less, in a bucket. Good food reasonably priced. Wow.

You have to realize that Ed's panoramic photo linked above is at least 7 years old, and there is a lot of turnover of bar/restaurant locations everywhere on the island.

On that shot, Orange Fever would be adjacent to what is labeled The Pirate, but which is now Ethnic. It's probably less than 100 yards from Pedro's, the main taxi drop point on Orient.

gary

Archived