ordering more than one entre

On my first cruise on the Enchantment, they had Apple Pie Ice Cream for dessert one night. We asked our waiter if he had a couple of extra chocolate chip cookies so we could make chipwiches........about 5 minutes later, we had a bowl of about a gallon of ice cream in front of us, with a tray of about 2 dozen cookies!! They definitely don't mind going overboard for their "charges"!!

We loved our apple cobbler so much one night that our whole table ordered it for seconds. The next night we asked for apple cobbler and our waiter told us that there was none since the crew ate it for themselves. When we came in the next night our waiter told us he had a surprise for us and for desert right after we finished having multiple entres he brought our table of 6 12 apple cobbles for desert. Needles to say we were happy!

I know this has been answered but no, they have no problem with it. My husband and I each ordered an entree one night but were both undecided about the duck. The waiter, without asking, brought us a duck entree to share and let us know that if we wanted another one he would be more than happy to bring it. We were thrilled that he was so responsive and kind and tipped him very well at the end of the cruise. He was wonderful! I am not sure anyone will ever live up to him in the future. I know I have had to stop comparing local waiters to Anthony :) it was not fair to the local set.

I have been dieting for 3 years now. I was very concerned that I would fall off the wagon on a cruise, so I made up my mind that I would order items that I knew were high in fat and calories, only if I had never had anything like it before ( so for example, I wouldn't order chocolate cake, because I know what it tastes like) and then I would take a satisfying bite and give the rest to my table mates. Of course, my table was filled with 6 members of my own family, so no one thought I was a freak or anything for offering them my leftovers! The waiters encouraged ordering anything and everything on the menu.It was not a problem. Sometimes, if there wasn't an entree that appealed to me, I would order 2 shrimp cocktails as my entree.It as not a big deal. No one cared. Incidently, I lost 7 pounds on my last cruise to the Caribbean. Just a heads up~ I gained 9 on my very first cruise!

On my first cruise on the Enchantment, they had Apple Pie Ice Cream for dessert one night. We asked our waiter if he had a couple of extra chocolate chip cookies so we could make chipwiches........about 5 minutes later, we had a bowl of about a gallon of ice cream in front of us, with a tray of about 2 dozen cookies!! They definitely don't mind going overboard for their "charges"!!

I had a similar thing happen to me. One night I just wasn't all that hungry for dessert, but I never pass up dessert :D. So I asked if I could just get a cookie. "Cookie? No problem" says the waiter. He returned with a platter of cookies piled up in a HUGE mound!

I've also asked to "sample" another entree only to have the entire entree plate, sides included, brought out in addition to the full entree that I orderd as my meal. There definitely is no problem getting more food.

Here's another option. Order something "to go".

One night I was too full to have dessert, so our waiter asked if I'd like

something to take back to my room. He brought a piece of that wonderful flourless chocolate cake on a covered plate with a fork, and I got to have it later as a snack! Later in the week, I commented on how yummy the cornbread was and he brought another covered platter out to me. That was our breakfast the next morning.

Don't be afraid to ask. Most of the time the waitstaff is more than willing to accomodate you.

During our cruise our tablemates ordered a variety of combinations. Some of us had two appetizers and skipped salads. Others had shrimp cocktail every night. One night I skipped the appetizer and had 3 spinach salads. Of course having a small appetite there were many nights that after the appetizers I could not eat my main course so I would just nibble on it. Our waiter, Thomas, would come over and offer to get me anything else just in case I was not eating because I did not like the dish I was served. There was even a night I did not want any of the deserts they had on the menu. They were all either chocolate or too rich for me. I asked Thomas for some fresh berries for desert instead. He brought out a bowl full of fresh strawberries, blueberries and blackberries. It definitely hit the spot. On lobster tail night he brought out extra lobster tails for anyone that wanted them and even offered to bring out thirds. The waiters encourage the pax to eat what they want and as much as they want. If you don't like your dinner they will replace it with something else immediately. It is part of the quality customer service RCI is trying to excel towards.

At lunch one day I easn't full after two appetizers and one entree so they brought me another entree and then I had two desserts! :) The two waiters just laughed because I was the smallest one at the table (female, 5'2" and 130). By the end of the cruise we knew our dinner waiter pretty well and he knew I LOVE chocolate, so he brought 5 brownies to take back to my room! It was hilarious. We learned that the waiters are judged on the meals and not the chefs. So the waiters want to make sure your TOTALLY happy.

I have been dieting for 3 years now. I was very concerned that I would fall off the wagon on a cruise, so I made up my mind that I would order items that I knew were high in fat and calories, only if I had never had anything like it before ( so for example, I wouldn't order chocolate cake, because I know what it tastes like) and then I would take a satisfying bite and give the rest to my table mates. Of course, my table was filled with 6 members of my own family, so no one thought I was a freak or anything for offering them my leftovers! The waiters encouraged ordering anything and everything on the menu.It was not a problem. Sometimes, if there wasn't an entree that appealed to me, I would order 2 shrimp cocktails as my entree.It as not a big deal. No one cared. Incidently, I lost 7 pounds on my last cruise to the Caribbean. Just a heads up~ I gained 9 on my very first cruise!

Have you tried the flourless chocolate cake? If not, I highly recommend it. I don't have a sweet tooth, but this is the one dessert I cannot resist on a cruise.

Just got off the Adventure on April 3rd, and our waiter would not bring us a second entree until we were finished with the first one. This was our 7th cruise, 4th with RCI, and have never been told that before. On our previous cruises I would order what I wanted, The DW would order hers, and we would get something to try for the two of us, something that we wouldn't normally order if we were going out to dinner. I couldn't believe that he said it, and I never questioned him or the head waiter on this. The one or two nights that 2 things sounded good, I would order them both, but he wouldn't bring the other until he removed the other plate! Now before I start getting flamed here, we are happy with every cruise on RCI we have ever been on, and they ARE our cruiseline of choice. Have been on Princess and Carnival before, and we prefer RCI, thank you. Just MY 2 cents.No big deal.

You can order whatever you want anywhere on the ship. There is no extra charge......

You might want to amend that for new cruisers.

You can't order dining room dinner except in the dining room or through room service during dinner hours. You can order as much as you want, and seconds or thirds after that. Windjammer usually has the same entre selections as the dining room, but not always.

You can make special requests, and the waiters will try to accomodate you, but asking for, say, lobster on the first night--nope, not going to happen. Going to the Windjammer and asking for the Chops menu offerings--nope, got to go to Chops for those.

You can have as much as you want of all free food/beverage offerings, but not all food and drink is included. Ben & Jerry's, Johnny Rockets, Chops, Portofinos, Seattle's Best Specialty coffee drinks (lattes, etc.), soda, and alcohol all carry various additional costs.

But don't worry--you will not go hungry on your cruise! :D

beachchick

I have never been told NO until I cruised with RCCL on EOS in Jan 2004. It only happened on Lobster night that we were actually told by the maitre de after order 2 tails each that we can not be given more lobster. On Carnival Miracle, Jan 2005 there was no limit until we said stop which was at 3!

I work out all year to eat well on the cruises I go on. Even RCCL allowed me to sample many appetizers as well as entrees and desserts--only had the trouble with the lobster. Going on Mariner in Jan 2006, and I hope to get lots of lobster--but if not and only 2 is the rule, each of my kids will then order 2 so I get enough of the lobster...hehehehe!

Beachchick...

I meant to say in the dining room...and not anywhere on the ship.

Yes, that could cause confusion for first timers....

I guess you never know what's in store. On one occasion the waiter brought out a platter of extra lobster for the table without anyone requesting it (main seating) and another time a tablemate asked for more and was told, "NO, the rest of the lobster is for late seating." (I actually wouldn't have believed that comment if I didn't hear it myself...)

Generally, they will bring as much of anything that you ask for...

Archived