Anyone back from Sun to Alaska? - I have some questions

curlyj

I have been watching and it looks like the last two weeks have been great weather. I leave in a week and have some questions:

1. Did they have any outdoor BBQ's? Where & When?

2. Was it too cool to eat in the Great Outdoor Cafe?

3. Were all the pools and hot tubs open & available?

4. What kind of entertainment was there?

5. Any comments about the kids program (we have 11 and 13 year old)?

Thanks

We were on the May 2nd sailing of the Sun.

1)There were at least 3 BBQ's during the week. One way a sailaway bbq, the other two were on port days, for lunch. I think they were the days we were in Juneau and Ketchican. In the freestyle daily, it always said weather permitting, and the weather cooperated that week.

2) Any meals we had at the Garden Cafe, we ate outside, except the morning we were docked in Juneau as there were some many crows out there scavanging. The weather was fabulous. We did need long sleeves or a sweather at breakfast time. There are some areas (near the bar) that are quite sheltered and out of the wind.

3) All of the pools and hot tubs were open. In the morning on the last day at sea, both pools were closed for a few hours. The seas seemed very calm, but the water in the pool was splashing aroung quite a bit.

4) There were 3 main shows (Cirque Pan, Mr. Producer and Que Noche, and two comedians in the main showroom. In the Observatory, there was a duet (Twice as Nice) that sang nightly. There was also a paino player in the Windjammer bar.

5) We did not travel with children, and I don't think there were many on our sailing so I don't know how the children's programme was. We did see the youngers ones on a scavanger hunt on day, and at Cirque Pan one evening and they seemed to be enjoying themselves.

Any special classes offered? Any travelogue information during the cruise? We are wondering how NCL does Alaskan culture on board. Thanks in advance, Cathy

bandc.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=2211ff&cdt=2004;06;27;11;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Until our **STAR** search

Seattle to Alaska on NCL Star

June 27, 2004

Fantasy 12/25/03

Inspiration 4/13/03

NCL Majesty 12/27/02

Jubilee 3/23/02

Norwegian Sea 11/23/01

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pazooter:

Any special classes offered?

We are wondering how NCL does Alaskan culture on board.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There were various computer, financial, craft and dance classes throughout the week.

In Skagway we were in Port until 8PM. At 7PM that evening the had a local entertainer onboard with a "Klondike Stories and Songs" show.

I just finished the May 9-16th sailing. The weather cooperated and we had all sunny days. As such, we again had 3 BBQ's, with the weather being so pleasurable. We ate mostly in the dining room but in the afternoon hours we did go to the outdoor cafe to do some reading and enjoy the views. In the sun, it was beautiful but sometimes the wind did make it chilly. A fleece vest/spring jacket would make you comfortable, I'm sure, based on the conditions we had. The only time we wore our winter jackets was when sailing up the fjord to the Sawyer Glacier. The winds were just too strong; but the smart ones just stayed in the Observation Lounge and came out to snap pictures when they stayed for 20-30 minutes in front of it for that purpose. The entertainment may be switching.. there were two comedians, however one was a comedian/juggler. I think Rex Haven (sp?), who was the comedian only so to speak was leaving at the end of our cruise. I'm not sure who was replacing him. Of course, that was just me overhearing him state that he had a plane to catch when we docked in Vancouver; I'm not sure if he was rejoining the sailing at another port. The pools and hot tubs were open during posted hours during our sailing; the water wasn't too "choppy" in the pools. Also of note, they had a guest lecturer who was speaking about Maritime history, great ocean liners, etc. Of course in Dazzles lounge , they had some game shows for guests to participate in that were a hoot! I can't speak to the children's program, I'm afraid but like the other responder, the kids seemed to be having fun whenever I saw them together.

You'll have no shortage of things to do, except for maybe in Wrangell unless you are on a tour. It's not as "developed" comparatively speaking to the other three ports.

Hope that helps! Feel free to ask any other questions.

Can you provide any information on the menus for the dining rooms? We were on the Sea in January, and thoroughly enjoyed the food. I'm wondering how similar the menus will be, or if they are totally different for the Alaskan cruises.

NCL Sun 06/04

NCL Sea 01/04

Thanks for the responses everyone. A couple more.....

1. What time did you arrive at the pier for embarkation, and how long was the wait before you got on the boat?

2. Did they have one or two formal nights?

Thanks icon_cool.gif

We had one formal night, the second night I believe. We arrived at the pier for embarkation at about 1:20pm and the lineup was really long (I believe we got on the ship around 3:30pm). The documents we received said that embarkation started at 1pm but when we got there, apparently it started at noon. I'd suggest going there a bit early.

As for menus, I don't really remember there being a specifically Alaskan menu, except for the sail-away bbq was salmon one day when departing one of the ports.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by curlyj:

Thanks for the responses everyone. A couple more.....

1. What time did you arrive at the pier for embarkation, and how long was the wait before you got on the boat?

2. Did they have one or two formal nights?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We arrived at the pier aroun noon, and they were just starting check ins. There was no line up a security but the line were very very long for check in. Luckily we were in a mini suite and avoided the check in lines. I did read in another post that it look someone 4 hours to check in (I think it was on the May 2nd departure. The lifeboat drill was delayed and they made announcement that it was because there were still so many people in the terminal check in.

We had one formal night, it was on the Monday (the first full day at sea).

Archived