Jeep or VW tours

jigger

We are trying out the same excursion. Reviews are all positive (what I found of them). I think the limited number of reviews are because this excursion is off the beaten path a little... and what I look for. :)

• 3 weeks later...

As promised...a brief review of the jeep tour. We loved it!! In fact, it was our favorite excursion of our cruise. There were about 8 jeeps in our tour. We all met up at the El Cid resort near the pier. From there we walked to our jeeps. The tour was on the "other side of the island". We thoroughly enjoyed the ride, which lasted maybe 30 minutes or so. We went to a small Mayan ruin, crocodile viewing area, lighthouse at Punta Sur. At the lighthouse stop, there was a snack area with free chips and salsa and drinks and other snacks for sale. There were iguanas walking around, very cool spot!

Next we drove to a resort where we had the option of going out to a snorkeling spot or enjoying the beach. The beach was rocky, so we chose to go snorkeling, saw lots of cool fish! After that we headed bak to El CID and had the included lunch which was water, chips and salsa and chicken fajitas. Other drinks were available for purchase.

The tour guides-Lorenzo, Jose & Fred were wonderful! Again, we loved it!

• 4 weeks later...
As promised...a brief review of the jeep tour. We loved it!! In fact, it was our favorite excursion of our cruise. There were about 8 jeeps in our tour. We all met up at the El Cid resort near the pier. From there we walked to our jeeps. The tour was on the "other side of the island". We thoroughly enjoyed the ride, which lasted maybe 30 minutes or so. We went to a small Mayan ruin, crocodile viewing area, lighthouse at Punta Sur. At the lighthouse stop, there was a snack area with free chips and salsa and drinks and other snacks for sale. There were iguanas walking around, very cool spot!

Next we drove to a resort where we had the option of going out to a snorkeling spot or enjoying the beach. The beach was rocky, so we chose to go snorkeling, saw lots of cool fish! After that we headed bak to El CID and had the included lunch which was water, chips and salsa and chicken fajitas. Other drinks were available for purchase.

So the Island Marketing tour did not include snorkeling at Punta Sur? What resort did they take you to? How far did you have to swim to get to the reef? Thanks

Awesome review. I was wondering if you booked thru cruiseengineer or cozumel watersports? I booked thru them since they go to punta sur. I was just curious.

• 2 weeks later...
Awesome review. I was wondering if you booked thru cruiseengineer or cozumel watersports? I booked thru them since they go to punta sur. I was just curious.

We actually booked through Island Marketing...I had used them a few times before, and had all good experiences.

The snorkeling was not at Punta Sur...the water was extremely rough there. We drove to a resort to snorkel, but I am not certain of the name.

We booked with Cozumel water sports, they are now part of shore excursioneer group...very professional and always accessible.

• 1 month later...

We took the Jeep excursion via Royal Caribbean (Voyager) this past March. The guides were VERY friendly and informative, but the whole tour was Fast and Furious. Here's the short version ... overall the scenery was beautiful driving (very fast :eek:) along the coast, the beach was closed due to rough waves :(, the tequila tasting (7 or 8 varieties was VERY interesting :D!!), the small replica of Mayan temple (out in front of the Mexican Air Force Base) was informative - the ocean view across the street was beautiful, and the lunch of fajita type nachos was so so. Jeeps were not in the best condition but could have certainly been worse. Just be prepared to be rolling the whole time. When they say 20 minutes at a stop, they mean 20 minutes, not 21.

We did the Cozumel Jeep Adventure Tour through Island Marketing this past Saturday. It was an excellent time and I highly recommend it.

We met at the El Cid Resort (about a 10 minute walk from the pier) and met our guide, David. There were 2 other couples from our ship on the tour. We were assigned 2 jeeps (which were in good shape). One couple drove one jeep and we shared with the other couple (my husband drove). Took about 30 minutes to reach Punta Sur. There we visited a Mayan Ruin (which I thought would be boring but was in fact very interesting).

We then visisted the crocodiles and met Max, the alpha male. I found this very informative and loved this part. From there we went to the lighthouse. You have to sign a release before you can climb the steps and now I understand why! Steps are very steep and very narrow in some parts and I banged the heck out of my head. But the view from the top are worth it! We had a margarita which was excellent and saw lots of iguanas.

From here we proceed to the beach (still at Punta Sur) and snorkeled from the beach. The snorkeling lasted about 1.25 hours and we saw lots of beautiful fish. My husband did not snorkel but there were hammocks, beach chairs and a beach shack selling drinks and snacks. There were also showers to rinse off after being in the water.

We then drove along the east side of the island (simply beautiful) and visited a tequila factory. I am sorry, but I can't remember the name (it was in the town area) but we enjoyed it and the tequila was excellent! My husband bought a cigar from a man hand rolling them there.

We then returned to the El Cid Resort and had a lunch of salsa, chips and chicken fajitas. We were charged $1.50 per bottle for the water though (which I thought was included). We were told we could hang out and enjoy the pool and beach but we choose to leave so we could do some shopping.

I would recommend this tour to anyone. David was a great guide and was very knowledgeable of the island and the area.

Kim

Archived