Paris to Normandy to Le Harve car rental

MICHE99

We will be flying in to Paris and sailing out of Le Harve. We would like to rent a car to go to Normandy and drop the car in Le Harve. Is this easily doable? Any suggestions?

Very doable. Several of the major rental car companies do not charge one-way drop charges within France. You can also look at some of the so-called "consolidators" such as autoeurope (http://www.autoeurope.com) and Kemwel who can often save you money on rentals of 3 or more days. They work with Hertz and Europcar (and perhaps some others) and there are generally no extra fees for a one-way rental (i.e. Paris to LeHavre). We do not recommend driving within Paris due to the traffic and parking problems. When we rent a car in Paris we will normally go pick-up our car, drive back to our hotel to get our luggage, and then get out of town ASAP :)

There are also some excellent lease schemes for those who want to have a car in France (or Europe) for at least 3 weeks. It is possible to actually order a brand new car (to your specifications) from a couple of companies and drive that car for a period of time (minimum of 3 weeks) and then turn in the car just like a normal rental. This lease scheme avoids certain costs (such as VAT) and can sometimes cost less then a regular rental.

Hank

Sunday pick-ups are problematic in Le Havre, but I don't know whether it's problematic picking up in Paris on a sunday, or dropping off in Le Havre on a sunday.

I'll (sort-of) second Hank's comments re using a car in Paris. Strangely, I've always found that in the centre the traffic flows freely other than at commuter times, much better than around the peripherique. But Parisian drivers are pig-ignorant & selfish, and parking is difficult & expensive and with heavy penalties for transgression. Like most major cities in the world, and a few in the US, public transport is quick, inexpensive, convenient.

You mention "Normandy", I'm guessing you're referring to the D-Day sights. Bear in mind that the US sights start from beyond Bayeux, at which point you turn off the fast Paris to Cherbourg divided highway & you're into narrow & twisty coastal roads & lanes - very slow. But reasonably simple, & no major towns to negotiate.

I'm also guessing you have a deadline at Le Havre for a cruise ship or ferry - how long are you giving yourself from Paris via the sights to drop-off in Le Havre?

JB :)

Hank, Thank you. I will start looking into your suggestions.

JB, LOL. I've driven in Paris many years ago when I was young and foolish. I can't imagine it now. We will arrive in Paris on a Saturday (Bastille day and my Birthday!). We will spend three night in Paris and then Tuesday head to Bayeux. The cruise leaves from Le Harvre on Friday. I hope we are not condensing too much.

Hank, Thank you. I will start looking into your suggestions.

JB, LOL. I've driven in Paris many years ago when I was young and foolish. I can't imagine it now. We will arrive in Paris on a Saturday (Bastille day and my Birthday!). We will spend three night in Paris and then Tuesday head to Bayeux. The cruise leaves from Le Harvre on Friday. I hope we are not condensing too much.

Hi Miche,

You're a breath of fresh air :)

Too often, folk try to cram in too much in too little time.

But your schedule means you don't need a rented car.

You've got time to do it by pedal-cycle :D

JB,

Looking forward to spending lots of time at sidewalk cafes and doing a lot of people watching. I took a small group from our last cruise to an out-of-the-way restaurant in Provence. We were supposed to do more sightseeing but the weather, the setting and the company conspired to keep us at the table for four hours.

JB,

Looking forward to spending lots of time at sidewalk cafes and doing a lot of people watching .

You might find us at a table next to you.;)

And Hank at another.:D

We're all like-minded folk.:)

Sante

John,

This is totally off this subject. I just requested you as a friend. I am hoping we can exchange thoughts on Spain. I read most of what you wrote previously. I just need to run a few things by you. I certainly appreciate your wisdom !!!

Gratefully,

TexasTraveler1953 :confused:

John,

This is totally off this subject. I just requested you as a friend. I am hoping we can exchange thoughts on Spain. I read most of what you wrote previously. I just need to run a few things by you. I certainly appreciate your wisdom !!!

Gratefully,

TexasTraveler1953 :confused:

No problem TT, I've just clicked the acceptance.:)

I'm none-too-clever on webby matters, but I don't think having "friends" on CC actually achieves anything - for instance I don't think it creates a path for direct contact, as some websites do.

So you may have to run those matters via a post on the Spain forum. I do check that forum out quite often, and you'll also get responses from others, occasionally including residents. Who will know a deal more than I.

Helpful I try to be, but the fountain of all knowledge I ain't ;)

The "friends" option here on CC seems to be somewhat of a joke! In the early days of CC you could post your e-mail address but they took away that option several years ago. So now, you can request to be friends with somebody (we have approved many friends requests) but it seem have little meaning since being a friend does not give you direct access to a person. Not sure why CC even keeps the friends option, but far be it for us to question management.

Hank

Maybe I'll post this as a new topic too but........... Does anyone here have a suggestion for a really nice restaurant or town to stop at on our way from Paris to Bayeux?

Both Pont L'Eveque & Pont Audemer are alongside your route & you'll find restaurants in both. Pont L'Eveque (famous for its cheese) is more traditional but has narrow streets & I don't know what the parking is like, Pont Audemer may be easier, it has its charm but is less atmospheric.

Honfleur is about 20 mins off your route & has a huge selection of restaurants, both traditional & touristy. But you might want to save Honfleur for building into your wiggle-time heading to Le Havre to drop off the car later in the week.

From Honfleur, or a little west of it via country lanes from the main A13 to the coast road, you could take the coast road through Trouville (much less touristy & known for its fish restaurants just off the quayside road) to Cabourg & over the Pegasus Bridge (first objective of D-Day, taken by glider-borne troops a few minutes after midnight) to Ouistreham, which also has a good selection of restaurants but may be a bit close to your destination.

So glad I found this thread. We are taking a TA from Miami to Southampton, but disembarking in Le Havre and renting a car. We want to spend some undetermined amount of time exploring Normandy and Brittany before driving to Paris, ditching the car, and renting an apartment. We have spent a lot of time in France, but not in the North. So in the learned opinions on those posting on this thread, what would be a reasonable amount of time to allow prior to Paris? Is 5 days enough? We want to see Brest, Mont San Michel, Cherbourg, some of the dDay sites, and anyplace else worth a drive through, a lunch and afternoon, or an overnight. Another option is to stay in one place, or two places, and do day trips, rather than finding new lodgings every night. We are open to any suggestions/recommendations!!

Thanks, Cathy

So glad I found this thread. We are taking a TA from Miami to Southampton, but disembarking in Le Havre and renting a car. We want to spend some undetermined amount of time exploring Normandy and Brittany before driving to Paris, ditching the car, and renting an apartment. We have spent a lot of time in France, but not in the North. So in the learned opinions on those posting on this thread, what would be a reasonable amount of time to allow prior to Paris? Is 5 days enough? We want to see Brest, Mont San Michel, Cherbourg, some of the dDay sites, and anyplace else worth a drive through, a lunch and afternoon, or an overnight. Another option is to stay in one place, or two places, and do day trips, rather than finding new lodgings every night. We are open to any suggestions/recommendations!!

Thanks, Cathy

Hi Cathy,

The D-day beaches are worth a couple of days if that fits your time-scale, but could be done in a single day especially as you won't need to re-trace your route back to Le Havre.

If you aim to spend 2 days, a hotel in Arromanches is probably your best bet. Grandcamp-Maisy would be slightly better for your itinerary, but Arromanches has more to offer.

If your aim is a single day, then Ste Mere-Eglise would be ideal, ready to strike out to Mont St Michel next morning.

I think you'd be disappointed by Cherbourg, I don't rate it worth a visit.

My route would be along the coast road, stopping at Honfleur (altho' its only 1/2hr from Le Havre) & mebbe Trouville/Deauville, then the museum & sights at Pegasus Bridge which crosses the River Orne just downstream from Caen & is the easternmost flank of the landing beaches. Continue past the British beaches and the Canadian D-Day centre/Juno beach at Courseulles-sur-mer to Arromanches, with a 360degree cinema on the cliffs before the town, which has museum & good selection of shops, bars, restaurants, hotels & remains of the Mulberry harbour on the beach. Keeping to the coast road past the gun battery at Longues-sur-mer to the American cemetery, overlooking Omaha beach at Colleville-sur-mer - the must-see American site. Just a few miles further to the shell-pocked fortifications & headland at Pointe du Hoc. Grandcamp-Maisey (no D-Day associations) is a little fishing/tourist village before turning inland to the fast main A13 at La Cambe. Close to the main road, the dour German cemetery at La Cambe is a stark contrast to the American Cemetery.

A little further east, peel off onto the lane that leads through St Marie du Mont to Utah beach, which stretches west from the museum at La Madeleine along the beach road to Ravenouville & turn back inland to the westernmost flank of D-Day, Ste Mere-Eglise (Airborne museum) & the parachutist who got hung up on the church roof (he survived, a dummy now in his place).

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Le+Havre,+France&daddr=49.39923,0.12747+to:49.34913,0.0516+to:49.30052,-0.32062+to:49.33168,-0.4053+to:49.33679,-0.7103+to:49.38725,-0.97644+to:49.40792,-1.19036+to:49.46264,-1.23076+to:Ste+Maire-Eglise+France&hl=en&sll=49.391312,-0.791016&sspn=0.786599,1.642456&geocode=FWI58wIdmaUBACl9iyGVIy_gRzESrzOveobBWw%3BFb7F8QId7vEBACmReLRL_CzgRzHRI9U4SBQMEw%3BFQoC8QIdkMkAACnJLVyJ3NThRzEAEaQ2SBQMEw%3BFShE8AIdlBv7_ymNR3_cw2AKSDFfTzdo_ukumQ%3BFeC98AIdzND5_ykLGgC0BF8KSDGwfOw6SBQMEw%3BFdbR8AIdZCn1_ymHxJc_z6oLSDHApcR7EBO5YA%3BFfKW8QIdyBnx_ynzdvyIJAoLSDGCsmiVIC6Ung%3BFbDn8QIdKNbt_ykx0u0wAncLSDG-_XhvUiucMQ%3BFXC98gIdWDjt_yn7SfFwmHALSDFb21HrThhnAg%3BFXDv8QId2eLr_yk5cbgPM3kLSDFgZ7lPSBQMBA&doflg=ptm&mra=luc&via=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8&t=m&z=9

That covers all the main D-Day sights, 120 miles, 4 hours driving, virtually all of it interesting/scenic.

2 days if you do it at leisure & stop to do them all justice, but covered adequately in a day if you restrict your stops to three or four places.

I've not included :

Caen. Big peace museum, worthy of at least 2 hours & preferably four, dedicated to WW2 but majoring on the holocaust. The museum is easy to reach but the town (destroyed in the Normandy offensive), is modern, uninteresting, & sometimes traffic-clogged.

Falaise. South of Caen, pretty town & restored castle, home of William the Conqueror who successfully invaded Britain in 1066.

Bayeux. Home of the huge Bayeux Tapestry, depicting that invasion at the Battle of Hastings.

-------------------------------

I don't know a scenic route from Arromanches / Ste Mere-Eglise to Mont St Michel but the fast route is about 85 miles, something over 90 minutes. The Mount is worth a visit of around around 4 hours. Half-an-hour beyond it is St Malo, which will have plenty of hotels & facilities, or 3 hrs / 150 miles to Brest. So you have a degree of flexibility to spend part of that morning finishing off D-Day sights, or the later part of the day getting to Brest.

I hardly know or remember Brittany, can't really help.

-------------------------------

From Brittany to Paris, by far the most scenic is driving up the Loire Valley - glorious river scenery, names that sound like a vintner's list of white wines, and more beautiful chateaux than you can shake a stick at.

From Nantes, through Angers, Saumur, Tours, Blois, to Orleans. Then mebbe into Paris via Fontainebleu or Chartres.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Nantes,+France&daddr=47.37399,-0.69029+to:47.39325,-0.2735+to:47.26335,-0.04484+to:47.29673,0.3411+to:47.43916,1.02742+to:47.69515,1.5737+to:47.85381,1.74353+to:Paris,+France&hl=en&ll=47.842658,1.538086&spn=3.244515,6.569824&sll=47.842658,1.531219&sspn=0.405553,0.821228&geocode=FcN-0AIdK0vo_ymtrqjwge4FSDEw7Q0eUjcNBA%3BFabe0gIdjnf1_ylHQhE2fysGSDGRNgFIUjcNEw%3BFeIp0wIdpNP7_ynFM5haF-EHSDHwNrBLUjcNEw%3BFXYu0QId2FD__yl7pGGoCPcHSDGkVgWbmuZOOQ%3BFdqw0QIdbDQFACl9eLG99jf9RzHWYeSxWumGTQ%3BFTjd0wIdXK0PACmJG8wiL7X8RzEAXYwsmvrpUw%3BFS7F1wIdRAMYACnVqgYbFrzkRzFh6s0u18gNEw%3BFfIw2gIdqpoaACkXRGXYQOzkRzHoN-v1Y7N4wA%3BFSZ-6QIdXuQjACkPt-IGH27mRzFglIxow4ILBA&oq=Nantes&doflg=ptm&mra=dpe&mrsp=7&sz=10&via=1,2,3,4,5,6,7&t=m&z=7

Total Nantes to Paris 285 miles, 6 - 7 hours scenic driving spread over about 2 days. Or if you've no time for the Loire Valley, a direct blast along the main road thro' Le Mans, 235 miles, 4hrs.

It's hopefully the framework for a super circular route, with the major disadvantage that its unsuited to using just one or two hotels as bases for day-trips.

So hire a caravan as well :D

Wow! What a fantastic itinerary! Thank you so much for taking the time to outline that all for us. Exactly what I needed. We have been to the Loire Valley and in fact stayed in one of the chateaux a few years ago, so we know that area, but it is very exciting to see so much new territory.

After our sojourn in Paris we will take the Eurostar to London and spend a few days with family before flying home. We haven't bought our plane tickets home yet because we can't figure out how long we want to stay (forever!) but prices keep going up so we need to figure that out soon!!!

Thanks again for all your help

Cathy

We will be flying in to Paris and sailing out of Le Harve. We would like to rent a car to go to Normandy and drop the car in Le Harve. Is this easily doable? Any suggestions?

BE SURE TO HAVE A BACK-UP PLAN. I had a rental car reserved, flew into Paris in the rain and fog (low ground hugging fog). Decided to cancel the car, as I feared along the coast to Normandy would be even worse. Couldn't see myself driving in unknown territory when you couldn't even see any signs or buildings along side the road. Visibility was really bad. I didn't have a back-up plan, thus spent the day just sitting in the hotel reading a book.:(

To JB:

I just read DH your amazing post. He is very grateful for all the wonderful info. He wonders about the possibility of taking a ferry to Jersey and/or Guernsey. Is that a doable and worthwhile thing?

(I should have mentioned that DH lived in France for a couple of years back in the 70's. He spent several months in Angers, Nantes, Bordeaux and La Rochelle, and we have visited all of those places and spent some time there. I also spent three months in Switzerland as an au pair many moons ago and we were able to go back to the village last October which was really special. But that's why we are so looking forward to this trip, to see all these new places!!)

Thanks again for your help. We have printed out your post and put it in our travel folder already!

Cathy

To JB:

I just read DH your amazing post. He is very grateful for all the wonderful info. He wonders about the possibility of taking a ferry to Jersey and/or Guernsey. Is that a doable and worthwhile thing?

(I should have mentioned that DH lived in France for a couple of years back in the 70's. He spent several months in Angers, Nantes, Bordeaux and La Rochelle, and we have visited all of those places and spent some time there. I also spent three months in Switzerland as an au pair many moons ago and we were able to go back to the village last October which was really special. But that's why we are so looking forward to this trip, to see all these new places!!)

Thanks again for your help. We have printed out your post and put it in our travel folder already!

Cathy

Hi Cathy,

My only experience with France/Channel Islands was meeting a group off the Jersey ferry at St Malo a couple of years back.

Yes, looking at the web there's quite a few options, though it could end up quite expensive.

Guessing you're considering a day-trip. Very do-able. On a random date there's a fast-ferry St Malo - Jersey at 08.00, journey time 1hr 20, return 19.20, giving you a very full day on Jersey. But it was showing 285 euros total day-return for two people with car, 124 euros total on foot.

If you wanted a car on Jersey (or Guernsey) it'd be a lot cheaper to cross on foot & hire one there.

Lots of other routes for you to research too, your land route in France means all departure ports are suitable.

UK/Channel Islands clocks are an hour behind France, hence any confusing departure/arrival times.

You'll need to choose Jersey or Guernsey, both in a day would be logistically problematic. Even if there's services to other islands they're too small to be worthwhile. Jersey has more to offer than Guernsey, especially St Helier vs St Peter Port, though Guernsey is very much more laid-back.

Years since I've been to either, but they're popular cruise ports-of-call so you should get help on this board if you post any fresh questions.

Many years ago, before mass air travel, I used to tour much of France & europe by car, but in more recent years I've graduated to more distant vacation travel & cruising.

I've done a lot of coach driving in northern France (incl D-Day tours) / Germany / Alps etc & often visit very good friends in Bernay and near Caen, but my knowledge of most of France is now very rusty & out-of-date.

Archived