Shore Excursions- How soon to book

If you know that you want an excursion, why wait? We take very few excursions but book early for the ones we do want.

Most cruise lines have a cancellation policy that will allow you to back out even the day before the excursion. Check with the individual cruise line/excursion.

Charlie

I agree that in most cases the independant tour operators can be less expensive, sometimes signifcantly. However, many tours (independant or ship sponsored) are capacity controlled.

There are only so many seats on a given tour. If it is to a beach, there may be a great deal of flexibility, just add another van or bus. If it is scuba, the operator that you choose may sub-out his excess reservations.

On out last excursion we really wanted to do the domed train across Panama. We booked a month or two before the cruise left and it was charged to our credit card at that time. On the first day we happened by the excursions desk and I looked at the list. Ours was "Sold Out". The tour was only available through the cruise line.

If you really want to take a specific excursion, book early.

Charlie

For the excursions that we want to book through the cruise line we always book early to make sure that we get the excursions we want. I always call Royal Caribbean and ask when the excursions for my cruise will be available for online booking. For my two October cruises they told me that they can be booked online starting in June.

Archived