Carry-on wine...2x750ml versus 3x500ml---same?

BooBooMonkey

So, I found these nifty 500ml cartons of wine at my local grocery. We are flying down, so would like to avoid the glass in checked luggage thing on the flight.

Wondering if anyone has tried these in their ship carry-on? They allow 750ml bottle per person, which for two of us is 1500 ml. If I bring 3 of the 500ml cartons, do you think it would be a problem (as in it's more than one "bottle" each)? If so, I'd be willing to ditch one of them and keep the other two (not expensive).

Anyone recently use small cartons (equal to or less than 750ml/pp)? Do they care if it is a real (glass) bottle if it meets the volume requirements?

Yes, I know I can call Carnival and ask. But, we all know that you can get 10 different answers to questions there...:rolleyes:. Of course, I'll probably get a similar number of answers here ;). Seriously, just wondering if anyone has tried the cartons and was it OK.

Thanks!

I love those little 500ml boxes of wine. Great for camping as well.

To me, 3x500 for 2 people sounds fair. But no telling about Carnival. However, you stated you wouldn't mind losing one of the boxes, so that's a great solution.

On my last cruise, the security guard checking bags had never seen those boxes. He thought they were wonderful.

You can never tell what any given screener will do. Have taken the small wines in boxes and bottles with no problems. Cruise last February, I had to have a supervisor called in to read the lable on my wine because the bottle was an odd shape. Cruise last month, there wasn't anyone at the screener table! We went thru no questions asked. I say take ur chance!

They would not allow me to take a 4 pack of individual serving size bottles, even though they totalled less than 750 ml. They said I could have 1 - this was in Miami in Feb 2011 - and I saw them do the same thing to someone else when we boarded Imagination in January of this year. i wouldn't try it in Miami. :( Other ports may be different.

I'll let you know in a week or so, as I'm going to carry on 3 of those 500ml boxes on the Miracle on Monday. They're so much easier to pack, and safer, on the plane. At the worst, I figure I'll lose one of them at check-in. One of these days they'll come in a 750 ml size, but for now it's only 500ml or one liter sizes and larger.

It probably depends on the screener that you get that day. You may as well try. As long as the wine is unopened and in its original container, you shouldn't have to throw the third one out even if they don't let you board with it. They should tag it and store it for you, returning it at the end of the cruise.

I have gone thru carnivals security at Ft Lauderdale and New Orleans with individual bottles 187 ml each. I usually have at least 6--Have never had a problem. I carry them in a clear plastic bag and place them on screener.

They do add weight to luggage when flying:o

Do you have to carry the bottles on with you?
Yes.
Can you check them in your luggage?

No.
If so what stops people from putting two in carry on and two in luggage?
If the ones in the checked luggage are found by the screeners, they will be confiscated.

You can never tell what any given screener will do. Have taken the small wines in boxes and bottles with no problems. Cruise last February, I had to have a supervisor called in to read the lable on my wine because the bottle was an odd shape. Cruise last month, there wasn't anyone at the screener table! We went thru no questions asked. I say take ur chance!

Aint that the truth!!!

some use reason and logic, others go by the strictest letter of the law.

It is just luck of the draw

It really doesn't matter what Carnival says, it is what the person doing the inspection thinks and some of them are lucky if they can count to two. Three is over the limit however you count it, but you might get lucky and you might not. In any event, the cruise contract is clear - 1 bottle, 750ml OR LESS.

As for packing in checked luggage, some gets through and some doesn't.

DSC_5088.JPG

The picture of the "naughty table" is interesting to me. My husband and I, our two adult children, and their significant others, have actually packed the large boxes of Franzia on about 4 or 5 cruises in the last few years. It went through in our checked luggage. (The amount per person was less than the allowed 750 ml.) Now that Carnival stresses "in your carry-on", I wonder if they would still make it through unscathed? I guess we won't attempt it on our next cruise!

Archived