"Explore Wellbeing " Program Tai Chi

noloafing

I just read the Mind & Body article in the Mariner magazine. It said they are doing Tai Chi on the aft deck on all ships at 8am and 5pm. Has anyone do any of the classes yet? If so, do you know if they are actually practicing a style of Tai Chi (for example Chen) or is it a Tai Chi-esque exercise class?

I have been on two cruises that offered this. The RYndam one was hard to do because we had interesting waves. Most people were just beginners and we never got really into it in the week.

On the Veendam we had a very good trainer but again, each day a few new people would join and we didn't progress much. Still enjoyed it though. Don't recall that either trainer said a name for the tai chi "style" but it was very beginning.

We just were on the Noordam and I do practice Tai Chi and attended a few sessions, but the times just were not always right for me ( ours was 4 or 4:30 and on port days I just wasn't getting back in time)

The leader was teaching the Yang ten form, although I learned the form with different begining it was the same basic form. The class started with some basic qigong warm up.

I thought the leader was good.

I usually practice on my own anyway and it was nice to get a different point of view.

My wife had an excellent instructor two cruises ago. They met at the Lido pool and progressed nicely. She says it was yang style.

I tried it last cruise on the Veendam aft deck. We had a weak instructor, we did not get very far in 16 days, and I did not like being in the hot sun in a cramped area. There is more motion on the aft deck and cigarette smoke seemed out of place for a health activity. I was thankful that they offered this no extra cost physical activity.

I found the warm up exercises mountainmare mentioned better than the routine that followed. We "progressed" to about the one minute spot in this video:

Not to quibble but whogo gave a link to the Yang 103 (or is it the 108) form

there is the Yang ten. The only difference is that he didn't start with Repulse the Monkey.

When I asked what form I was told "Basic ten" Then I asked is it Yang, Sun, Chen??? I was told "Basic ten" Then he asked me to show him my Yang ten--and said yes, that is the basic ten.

All in all I think that this gives the average cruiser a chance to get an invitation to Tai Chi and a person who practices Tai Chi with one master a different point of view.

I also agree that the warm ups are given so that you are in the "crouch position"

My Tai Chi class is for arthritis and diabetes patients as well as just people who want to learn Tai Chi. When we have new students they are always told to do only what is comfortable. I kept wanting to tell people on the ship to follow the movements but to only do what is comfortable for them, but I didn't want to seem rude or a know it all.

Tai Chi seems to be a newer offerings in the "wellness program" and it is a nice addition. You cannot expect someone who is part of the spa staff to be a master of Tai Chi and yoga and qugong and run the pool volleyball and a gazillion other things. This is just a nice intro and pretty good effort on HAL's part.

I attended Tai Chi classes last summer during an Oosterdam 7 day Alaska cruise. Louise, the life stylist (instructor), was great. We met every morning in the Crows Nest. (Often we saw whales during our AM class. :))

The class began slowly, but eventually progressed to basic Tai Chi moves. I don't remember the style, but I studied Wu, & I was able to do Louise's movements. I loved it!

Last spring on the Nieuw Amsterdam I didn't take the Tai Chi class but saw the life stylist leading his class in group exercises. It didn't resemble Tai Chi at all. I think it all depends on the makeup of the class.

Archived