Valapraiso transport and luggage storage

HDS

We are changing debarking Silverseas Explorer in the morning and embarking Celebrity Infinity in the afternoon of the same day.

Appreciate suggestions for a driver who will take us and our luggage for a tour of Valparaiso or who can arrange safe luggage storage while showing us around. Then deliver us and luggage to Infinity in the afternoon.

Is taking a day room at a hotel a better option? Appreciate suggestions for a hotel, preferably near the port, that will rent a day room? Or other options.

We are back today from Chile on the Star Princess. We had an amazing 2 days with Chris of Chilian Journeys. I took the recommendation for Chilian Journeys from this board and I was delighted with Chris. He had a van and a driver Rolland and 3 of us plus our luggage were comfortable in this new and AC van.

Valpariso is amazing and much fun to discover. Vin del Mer is beautiful and we had a great lunch at the Castle restaurant (butterfish! or swordfish!). I would also highly recommend going into the museum where the Easter Island statue is -- the young man gave a wonderful talk on Easter Island and other historical places in Chile. Worthwhile in someone is interested in the "Heads". I really don't think you would want to have a hotel in Valpo as you would probably need a guide/driver anyway. Get going early before the tours saturate the place and be sure to fill water bottles on the ship for use in the cities. Have fun -- it is a great place to explore.

We are changing debarking Silverseas Explorer in the morning and embarking Celebrity Infinity in the afternoon of the same day.

Appreciate suggestions for a driver who will take us and our luggage for a tour of Valparaiso or who can arrange safe luggage storage while showing us around. Then deliver us and luggage to Infinity in the afternoon.

Is taking a day room at a hotel a better option? Appreciate suggestions for a hotel, preferably near the port, that will rent a day room? Or other options.

We had a lovely tour earlier this month by Carola.Neubauer.gmail.com

She spoke beautiful English and showed us a lot of interesting things in

Valperiso and Vin de Mar. She has an air conditioned van with lots of room to store luggage.You have to pick up your luggage and go out the customs gate where you find lots of tour guides holding up signs. She was waiting for us with a nice sign with our name. If you want any more information, write to me at

Slyviag2@aol.com

Valpariso is amazing and much fun to discover. Vin del Mer is beautiful and we had a great lunch at the Castle restaurant (butterfish! or swordfish!). I would also highly recommend going into the museum where the Easter Island statue is -- the young man gave a wonderful talk on Easter Island and other historical places in Chile. Worthwhile in someone is interested in the "Heads"..

What is the name of the museum and is it located right in Vin del Mer?

What is the name of the museum and is it located right in Vin del Mer?

The name of the Museum is: Fonck Museum of Archeology and Natural History in Vin del Mar Chile. It has very nice exhibits on prehistory of the regions of Chile and has a large room that explains the "heads" of Easter Island. There is an actual maui (head) outside the museum and it did seem that the Princess busses were allowing a brief stop to see the statue but not enter the museum. The museum cost about $4 each and the young man who was the guide had excellent English and outstanding knowledge (and thus do not prejudge by his T-shirt saying and tattoes:rolleyes: as I did at first). Since it is in doubt if we will make the long journey to the actual site of Easter Island -- this may be our best chance to experience these unique cultural items. We really enjoyed this museum and our guide was good about adjusting the schedule to allow the time to have this experience.

Archived