Fore or aft, starboard or port in Med on Marina

DJ95

Looking at an A4 on Marina for April 22, Venice to Athens, what would anyone recommend for location. Knock on wood, haven't been seasick yet, but wanted the best view or whatever. Thanks in advance for any help. I fully except that any cabin will be wonderful.

I will never say one location is better than another, unless it is midships if you are really concerned about motion.

I am sensitive to motion myself and there have been several cruises where I was really miserable for a few days. (You can always go to the ship doctor and get a shot which DOES do wonders. You can also stock up on ginger.)

We were in 10001 on Marina in October (a Med cruise) which is as far forward as you can get and there were only about 3 hours of rough motion throughout the entire cruise. (We were already in bed that night and didn't feel it.)

When we did the Baltic cruise on the old R7 (now with Azamara, I think) in May 2001 I remember some rough seas, but not too many. When we did Iceland in June 2006 on Insignia we had a few days of really rough weather. But then we had about the heaviest seas we've ever encountered going in to Aruba in 2003. It was so bad the captain changed the route.

So it's really not possible to predict. My guess for your itinerary is that you should luck out ... but you never know.

Mura

Hi Mura - I've asked this question on another thread, but I actually want your opinion on this.

We've been given cabin 7004 on the Marina in August sailing the Baltics. The only time I've gotten sea sick was on a small Celebrity ship in the Caribbean. We were mid ship. I took lots of ginger, laid down and got through it.

You said you had a forward cabin in the Baltics and did well. Is it typically calmer in the Baltics? We have no sea days, so we'll only be in motion in the evenings. I'm thinking I can manage whatever comes up because I'll be in my cabin lying down anyway.

I'm not terribly motion sensitive ... I'm wondering if it's worth it to pay more money to get a midship cabin or not. I'd rather spend that money on excursions, but don't want to be miserable the whole trip.

Help?!

Rgastin,

Actually our far forward cabin on Marina was Rome-Istanbul, so not the Baltics. When we did the Baltic cruise it was on the R7 (then with Renaissance, now with Azamara) and we were in 7076 which is solidly midships. That cruise was nearly 11 years ago so my memory isn't perfect but I do believe we had some rough seas going into Oslo from Amsterdam, but that otherwise it was a pretty calm voyage. We had much rougher seas at times on the Dover-Dover cruise in 2006 which went to Iceland and the Faroe Islands, etc.

I wish I could give you better advice! But I'm sure others who've done the Baltic cruise more recently will chime in.

Mura

I will tell you this. I do get seasick, but I use the patch and love it. It is good for 3 days, and you put it right behind your ear. If you want to use it after 3 days, just take it off and put it behind the other. Drawbacks....dry mouth and just a little tired...but it is so well worth it. I use it to go scuba diving too. Love that patch.

Looking at an A4 on Marina for April 22, Venice to Athens, what would anyone recommend for location. Knock on wood, haven't been seasick yet, but wanted the best view or whatever. Thanks in advance for any help. I fully except that any cabin will be wonderful.

Archived