early disembarkation with carry on bags

bandgbasset

hi everyone:

i read here awhile ago that if you only have carry-on luggage you can be one of the first off the ship. haven't seen anything about it lately. we only travel with carry-on and have a long drive home so if anyone has done this please let me know. do we need to go to the purser's office to do this?

thanks for all your help.

dave and gerry

..you are on. We have never seen that option given on the 17 Princess cruises we have taken. We have been on the Diamond, Grand, Star, Royal, Tahitian, Island, Sky, Dawn & Sun Princesses. All of these cruises you were given a color based on what arrangements you had after leaving the ship.

it's easy to do with carry on bags, we each have a carryon and a garment bag for hubby's suit and my dresses. we've traveled in europe several times and just travel light, we do laundry every 4 days or so and everything is clean. i only bring a couple of pairs of shoes, i hate schlepping dirty clothes :D

ok don't laugh, we're going to alaska in a couple of weeks on the regal and i read here several months ago that people with carry on bags were allowed to leave first, i've never seen it as an option on the ship though.

thanks for your help

dave and gerry

We did this in Florida on the Fascination. Pax with carry-on's only were the first to be able to go. However, it was widely publicized, and probably 1/2 the pax, some "carrying-on" 3-4 bags apiece showed up! It was a zoo, but we did get to get off early......

Snedecor

Last summer on the Diamond, you had the option to not put your bags out for pickup the night before if you were willing to carry your bags off yourself. Those who were carrying their own luggage got to disembark about 7:30 am. If you have an early flight this is the way to go.

Mary:)

> This is called 'Self-Disembarkation'

We were on the Island last year and were able to self-disembark in Vancouver. This worked out perfect for us. We didn't have to rush to pack and put our bags out the night before.

But, we were up early so we could watch the 'sail in' to Canada Place. Once the ship was cleared, they made 'one' announcement for self-embarkation and then started calling colors.

We grabbed our bags (2 each) and rolled them off. We were off the ship around 7:30am, cleared customs, hopped in a cab and were home before 8am (we live in Vancouver). It was a great process.

Note: maybe it depends on the port set-up? Vancouver has no stairs or escalators so it is very easy to just walk off.

Archived