Seven-Story-High Wave Hits Cruise Ship

aanselm

Having now read most of the posts relating to the Freak vs Dawn show, I would like to add my two bob's worth.

- A huge "good onya" to the skipper and crew of the Dawn

- Very sincere thanks to Eileen - on another thread - for her on-board updates

- Very best wishes to all passengers, especially those who were injured

- A big thumbs up to NCL for the very positive response

- The world's biggest raspberry to those who think they deserve to profit from this situation :p

- And to any ambulance-chasing legal weasels who seek to profit from this, may you suffer the fate predicted in an earlier post!

In case you didn't get it, that is a BIG, FAT NOPE! :D

My DW and I will be taking our first cruise in 15 years next month - with NCL - and we are not put off one little bit.

Thanks everybody, all over the NCL boards, for great info for a couple of "resuming cruisers"!

The Dawn looked alittle wet inside. Is she still sailing 4/24?

Considering she's scheduled to sail into NYC today and right back out again this evening, I'd say she's sure to be sailing on 4/24! You would be amazed at how quickly the staff can get the ship back into "ship shape"! Have no fear, dear!

the dawn this summer will be our 20th cruise. we've been bang around before. (not to this extream) we've missed ports due to bad weather. but the bar was always open.

to everyone one the dawn now get home safe.

Nope. But the report of all those flooded cabins does get a "wow." Does anyone know how exactly the flooding occurs? Does the water flow down the stairs? Up the stairs? Along the hallways? How does it get into all those cabins? Just curious.

It is my understanding that the Dawn was headed into the wave (the proper course) and the wave broke over the bow and into the forward facing balcony cabins on decks 9 and 10 just below the bridge. The water cascaded through those cabins and down the hallway flooding the floors of the most forward cabins on those decks. I doubt if much water reached the stairways since the total 62 cabins flooded are all forward of the stairway.

originally posted by ozetraveller

Having now read most of the posts relating to the Freak vs Dawn show, I would like to add my two bob's worth.

- A huge "good onya" to the skipper and crew of the Dawn

- Very sincere thanks to Eileen - on another thread - for her on-board updates

- Very best wishes to all passengers, especially those who were injured

- A big thumbs up to NCL for the very positive response

- The world's biggest raspberry to those who think they deserve to profit from this situation :p

- And to any ambulance-chasing legal weasels who seek to profit from this, may you suffer the fate predicted in an earlier post!

Well said and my sentiments exactly!

Nope - went through the tail end of a hurricane in '98 and have taken several cruises since. Mother nature has a number of ways in letting you know she is around, this is just one way. Glad to hear only a few were injured and that NCL is taking care of everyone.

The reason some cabins got flooded was because one cruiser actually opened the water tight door to his balcony and then just sat and watched the water run in. (Perhaps he had a tad to much to drink?)

When the wave broke the window in our stateroom we had approximately 3 ft of water in the room. The level of water never got higher then that.This ran out into the hallway and into some of the other cabins. I would guess this was similar to what happened on deck 9

This won't stop us either. In fact, June 12th we are heading out on our second Dawn cruise and I can't wait. And, I fully intend to shake the captains hand a tell him how great a job he did with this situation.

The reason some cabins got flooded was because one cruiser actually opened the water tight door to his balcony and then just sat and watched the water run in. (Perhaps he had a tad to much to drink?)

When the wave broke the window in our stateroom we had approximately 3 ft of water in the room. The level of water never got higher then that.This ran out into the hallway and into some of the other cabins. I would guess this was similar to what happened on deck 9

Could this be one of the reasons that some of the cruise lines request that you leave your balcony door closed when you're not in the cabin?

Mimi,

You must have had damage to some of your personal belongings. Did NCL do anything about that? Does travel insurance cover it?

judyzoo

You are right, that is exactly why the crew checked with my DH a number of times during Fri to make sure we kept that door closed no matter what. Unfortunately some people just didn't seem to understand that.

As far as our personel belongings, the crew managed to salvage just about all our things. Our clothes started to arrive back to us (cleaned and pressed) within hours. They have a list of damaged, destroyed and missing items. We expect to be hearing from NCL but we have no worries, my DH and truly believe NCL is an honest comapny that will treat us fairly and we expect no more then that from them.

We have not had time to check into the travel insurance yet but I assume they might. Of course, an act of GOD may be one of those "little clauses" that fit into the not covered aspects.

Archived