Radiance or Rhapsody?

Hey fellow aussies,

Im organising another cruise for family and friends i have done a few including carnival dream from Florida but never done an RCI, and as friends havent all cruised etc if so only P&O What is the main difference between these two ships, I know radiance is newer and bigger but can anyone who has been on one or both tell me what will be our best option we will all adults no kids a fun loving lots of cocktails kind of group in age groups say 40 to a hip 60. Do RCI have any theme nights like island etc so we can bring our own costumes, im a veggie do they have a decent range of veggie food, and i read somewhere if your paying your account in cash you have to bring US dollars with you and does anyone have any links to menus or bar prices. Thanks all

Hey fellow aussies,

Im organising another cruise for family and friends i have done a few including carnival dream from Florida but never done an RCI, and as friends havent all cruised etc if so only P&O What is the main difference between these two ships, I know radiance is newer and bigger but can anyone who has been on one or both tell me what will be our best option we will all adults no kids a fun loving lots of cocktails kind of group in age groups say 40 to a hip 60. Do RCI have any theme nights like island etc so we can bring our own costumes, im a veggie do they have a decent range of veggie food, and i read somewhere if your paying your account in cash you have to bring US dollars with you and does anyone have any links to menus or bar prices. Thanks all

Hi ,,

We have sailed on Rhapsody twice and are sailing on Radiance twice this year.

RCI ships are really beautiful...you will not be disappointed with either one you chose.FRom my experience we always purchase our onboard spending money in USD while our Dollar is high like it is at the moment.....we keep the cash in the safe and pay periodic payments on our account during the cruise.RCI has its own conversion rate and its always lowe than the stock exchange. on one day in 2008 the rate was 0.51.If you have USD in cash it doesnt matter what the exchange rate is onboard.We pay our final account bal on the morning of the last day in cash...and any money we spend on the last night goes onto our nominated c/card with our bank to do the conversion.

Another tip at the time of booking is to ask for a price without gratuiries because if you choose set time dinnig gratuities are not compulsory......if you choose anytime dinning there are and its 15.00 pp per person.when you book tell your agent you know set time dinng is gratutity free.or they will quote with them included.ste time dinning is 6pm or 8pm

they have great menus and can cater to your requirements....they do have theme nites but do not miss "Quest" which is an adult only event and its hillarious.Be warned if you drink spirits that they are very strong ...they free pour not like aussie ships.have fun

regards

Col & DI:)

I found pluses and minuses with both so wouldn't have a preference if sailing either again; I didn't find the differences that great that I preferred one over the other.

That said, the Radiance has a little bit 'more' on it so if you haven't tried either, you might want to just go with that! If it were me, I'd look at the itineraries, dates and costs though.

As examples of the differences, there are extra restaurants on Radiance - but they're all paid for, and for what they were nothing special imo. There is a hot dog stand, which is nice enough (not just plain hot dogs, but a few varieties.) There is an extra cinema and tiny mini-golf course.

OTOH, the lift arrangement is poorer (fewer overall), plus they're spread out and don't connect well (easy to miss). Overall the atrium is less attractive/less impressive/smaller on Radiance. Rhapsody has better games rooms, libraries and other facilities around the Atrium, including a better C&A lounge at the top (which is sacrificed to high status members on Radiance).

I wouldn't say there's much in it to say one is better than the other - Radiance has more, but a lot of them feel squeezed in more so weren't as good individually as on Rhapsody.

I have just got off the Rhapsody and I was on the Radiance for Christmas.

On the whole there are a lot of similarities. However, the Radiance has more options and choices and I like the lay out of the Windjammer better.

The shows on the Rhapsody were better but then that could have just been the current troop when we were on.

The Captain of the Radiance was the best and acknowledged his crew at every chance he got.

If I was making the decision based on the ship i would say Radiance.

I have recently cruised on both ships as well. I prefer Radiance but Rhapsody is just as stunning but smaller. The food and drinks were exactly the same on both ships. Rhapsody is getting some of the specialty dining restaurants when she goes into drydock which will be a great addition.

Thanks all, i guess i will just base it on itinerary and costs, radiance seems a bit cheaper because there seems to be a lot more balcony cabins and rhapsody balconies are more expensive as there are fewer. Does anyone have a link to menus and bar prices on board...

Thanks all, i guess i will just base it on itinerary and costs, radiance seems a bit cheaper because there seems to be a lot more balcony cabins and rhapsody balconies are more expensive as there are fewer. Does anyone have a link to menus and bar prices on board...

Debsta has posted this video of Radiance on the 2 day cruise to nowhere http://www.facebook.com/v/309354305750882 ex Sydney last year. Should answer most questions.

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from the Radiance and she is an impressive ship, as far as being better than the Rhapsody i wouldnt quite go that far!!! When booking on the Radiance i guess i expected her to be better as she is bigger and my expectations where probably a little high!! she is beautiful in my opinion and probably on a par with the Rhapsody. Our cruise director on the Radiance was Bobby and in talking to him he has a preference for the Rhapsody!! I just hope the changes in refit enhance her and not detract from her beauty, Bobby said they are removing the staircase in the atrium? why?

Dined at a couple of the alternate restaurants , chops grill and rita's .

Never again for chops grill but rita's was amazing , so much food for such little cost, ridiculously low prices :D, anyway to cut a long story short i booked a 12 nighter on the Rhapsody in march next year and not the Radiance so my subconscious must be telling me something;);)

cheers

aussiescouser

(Pete & Rose)

I had read that the sculpture is being removed from the centrum and an aerial act is going to be there. Maybe that's why the stairs will go but I hadn't heard of that before. I really liked the centrum stair access and missed this on the Radiance, caught myself a couple of times looking for the staircase as there is only stairs in the centrum on one level. Booked again on the Radiance but would also like to cruise again on Rhapsody. We enjoy each cruise as it comes and although we should not have, we did make comparisons several times. Could not say we disliked anything about Radiance but on some occasions we thought on our past experience, Rhapsody did some things better.

Come to think of it Bobby did mention that they are doing as you said and placing an aerial show in centrum similar to P&O i guess? and that is why the stairs are going!!! personally the P&O aerial show doesnt do it for me!!:confused: anyway not a bad thing to say about Radiance other than the extra small showers??? im sure they are smaller than any ship i have been on lol!!! :D

Archived