Is RCI responsible??????

adios

TAKE A EASY, FIREFIGHTERHOOP, SOME PEOPLE GET SCARED AND JUST WANT SOME ANS. WHAT CITY AGAIN, ARE YOU A FIREFIGHTER? MY HUSBAND IS A FIREFIGHTER WITH MILFORD. CT. I AGREE WITH YOU YOU CAN ESCAPE SOMEKIND OF BUG, HA HA, WITH 3000+ PEOPLE FROM GOD KNOWS WHY!

I GUESS I'M JUST BUGGING OUT,

BOGI

Not sure you know this, but you are typing in CAPS, which means you are yelling.........lower case please.

If your friend was just throwing out suggestions, then maybe it would have been better for you to wait for your drs. appt. before posting in regard to possible bed bugs. Recently, on this board, there have been posts about bed bugs on the Jewel of the seas and some people were getting pretty "bugged" out about it. I too am a nurse and will only say that it doesn't sound like bed bugs to me, and I wonder what it was about your discription that made your friend think it could be bed bugs. At any rate, good luck with your drs. appt.

I agree with allergies. Is your skin itchy? I used to be plagued with hives, and scratching will make them spread. You should only wash with antibacterial soap and please post your docs diagnosis...for curiosity sake :confused:

Not sure you know this, but you are typing in CAPS, which means you are yelling.........lower case please.

i'm sorry, no one has mention anything about caps. i always use caps, better to see, even with glasses. no wonder no one has answer my threads:(

not yelling at anyone, just didn't know about caps,

thank you very much,

bogi from conn.

Interesting article on bed bugs. Seems they're not all the common or that easy to have an infestation on a ship. the windows are all pretty well calked, there's not usually a lot of birds nests around or bats flying about the ship. The problematic bed bugs live in the norther hemisphere. Last but not least, the ships we've been on have been well maintained and are not delapidated shot gun shacks.

I think the news media jumped the gun on that one couple on Jewel of the Seas. It wouldn't be the first time and the news media loves a sensational attention grabbing headline.

Sounds as if the OP's nurse friend had been reading the headlines and jumped to a rather remote conclusion to me.

Guest OBAYbee

Sun tan lotion can cause a rash and the more you use it then get into the sun, voila more rash.

I think I am going to wear a flea collar around my ankle on my next cruise. ;)

Sun tan lotion can cause a rash and the more you use it then get into the sun, voila more rash.

Also, some medications react in sunlight--------------

Doesn't sound like shingles either since the rash is across the chest and down both sides of the torso. Shingles follows the nerve endings and is usually only found unilaterally. I'm not aware of any nerve that goes across the chest and down both sides of the torso.

I think it is possible that you could have also gotten somethiing in those ports you visited in Mexico. Certainly not everything is under the control of RCCL.

Did you eat, did you swim, did you sit in the sand, etc...

Linda/Ohio

As a nurse, I agree it doesn't sound like bed bugs OR shingles.

Were you in the hot tub at all? Use a new sunscreen? Are you on any medications that might have reactions to sunlight? You could also have developed an allergy to something that in the past was not a problem for you (happened to me recently.) I would suggest waiting to see what your doctor thinks -and I would definitely schedule an appointment with a dermatologist ASAP.

This is already quite the fashion - you know, all those elastic wristbands for causes all the kids (and some adults) are wearing these days.

see the article from Saturday's Philadelphia Inquirer here:

Dueling wristbands

There's an arms race going on, with a confusion of colors competing to plug their causes.

By Alfred Lubrano

Inquirer Staff Writer

Subtle as ad-plastered NASCAR drivers, Americans these days are endlessly self-adorning with "awareness" wristbands.

The synthetic rubber bracelets are traced to 2004 and Lance Armstrong, who gifted the world with yellow "Livestrong" bands to raise awareness of testicular cancer.

Civilization has been inundated by piles of variously colored bangles ever since. Notables including President Bush, Sheryl Crow, Matt Damon and Nelson Mandela have sported them.

Each bracelet is meant to corral and uplift consciousness for a disease or cause. Many of the bands, like Livestrong's, are sold for a couple of bucks to garner funds for charity.

One of the latest in the well-meaning litany is the National Wildlife Federation's "Green at Heart" wristband, to celebrate the 35th anniversary of Earth Day, coming Friday.

In a triumph of good taste, the federation says it made the $2 bands with recyclable natural silica, as opposed to the synthetic silicone material used for most fund-raising bracelets.

But the federation's offering underscores a creeping crisis in the battle of the bands: There are more causes than colors out there, and charities are forced to piggyback the rainbow.

This makes for big-time confusion.

Sure, it's logical that the wildlife people's wristbands are green. But that's also the color being used to rally folks to combat the ravages of diabetes, Lyme disease, kidney cancer, leukemia and depression. To top it off, Save Darfur bands - meant to remind the world of the slaughter in Sudan - are green as well.

The color wars don't end there. Teal is associated with campaigns against myasthenia gravis, ovarian cancer, polycystic kidney disease, sexual assault, and substance abuse.

White symbolizes a group called Make Poverty History. But it also reminds people of the wristbands that hospitals affix to patients. And sure enough, when British Prime Minister Tony Blair wore the antipoverty band in public, Brits frantically feared that their leader was gravely ill.

Red, blue, purple, pink - no one color can be exclusively related to a particular group or ailment. So, how meaningful can sporting these awareness bands be?

And there's a rampaging ubiquity to it all, as with other fast fads. Our culture seizes on something, then wears it, says it, or does it to death.

Besides, let's face it, it's a tad self-aggrandizing to show the world you've donated - minimally - to a charity.

What do women say when they see a band dangling from the wrist of a guy at a bar? "Ooo, Jenny, he's tall and he hates heart disease. I think he could be the one"?

Corporations have already colonized our clothes, making us ambulatory billboards for American capitalism. How long will it be before Coke borrows from the awareness crowd and creates a caramel-colored band that reads: "Let's stamp out Pepsi in our lifetime"?

Actually, that's not so farfetched. Teen-tilted stores such as American Eagle Outfitters are selling multihued wristbands that have nothing to do with doing good.

It's becoming mere fashion now.

With awareness bands already so devalued, we might as well include lesser causes in the faux rubber rainbow coalition:

Join the fight against: deviated septums, ennui, fake maple syrup, the fear of swallowing bugs.

Or, you could just try wearing those invisible armbands that show you have class." (The Philadelphia Inquirer,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We did a Carnival Cruise Jan 05 and half way through our 8 yr old son developed a rash too. Thought it was allergic reaction to sulfites used on the fruit but we were told they do not use any. Then were told it was a rash from the pool water and the sunscreen and the sun combo. When we got home took him to his pediatrician---Strep rash. He had no symptoms of the sore throat or fever, b ut the rash had presented himeslf from a dormant strep strain. Get a strep test! Hope you are okay!

Yes, yes, yes--get a strep test. One time in Hawaii, after snorkeling I got a mild sunburn on my back (didn't reapply the lotion often enough; boy am I careful now). We got some aloe with pain reliever (lidocaine I think). Anyway, we use plain aloe at home all the time, but this time I woke up with a horrible rash on my back that kept spreading. It was bright read, bumpy/blistery; it itched and hurt and kept getting worse for 3 days. Finally, DH made me go to the ER. The doctor told me that I had had a reaction to the sun combined with the lidocaine and that it had triggered a dormant strep infection. I went on antibiotics and topical stuff. When I got home, I went to my doctor because one lesion wasn't healing (sorry, this is gross) because it had ulcerated. I had to have more antibiotics and special treatment of the area.

So, please, get a strep test. This didn't act like any strep infection I'd ever had.

beachchick

I first heard about the bed bugs before work one day. I was in a chat room and some woman was saying, "All the cruise ships are infested with bed bugs." My reply was, "Yeah, the tooth fairy also goes on cruises and put chocolate on everyone’s pillow."

I work at TripReservations.com. We sell all sorts of vacations. That day when I went to work the phone calls came in. I actually called RCCL and spoke to a reservationist who informed me that this whole bed bug thing was all started by a Rumor. He also advised me that all the sheets are changed daily and when the ship docks, they completely disinfect all the cabins as well as the public areas are disinfected several times per day.

My ex used to have a condition where anytime she’d get into the ocean or go under the sun she breaks out in horrible rashes. This is sometimes caused by allergies.

So nothing to worry about, there are no bed bugs.

:D

???

RCCL is saying this is a "rumor"?

Big surprise, if that's the case. Can anyone else verify this?:confused:

Were you taking any allergy medications? I believe some recommend you limit or avoid sun exposure.

Personally, I have issues with sulfites...I've learned that a couple days of allergy meds, red wine and sunshine pretty much guarantee that I will get a rash of tiny bubble all over my skin.

Also, did you use a new suntan lotion?

I agree with other posters -- anyone sleeping in the same bed would have bites if there were bed bugs.

Adios---

I see you were on Grandeur last week. We were on Explorer and in Costa Maya the same day/time as you. We snorkled right off the beach at the ships. Scheila got a case of the Sea Lice there as well. Only nature is responsible for this....no one else. It should go away in about a week. Take some benedryl and use some calamine lotion---.

Scheila kind of freaked out for a minute, then we checked on-line for some info on Sea Lice and her symptons matched exactly to what we found. All is well now. The rash is going away.

Hope you had an otherwise wonderful time.

Jay

This actually sound like something I just had called Pityriasis Rosea. It usually starts with one lesion or bump usually on the torso and starts spreading. I had it on my torso, neck, arms, legs. It took about 3 weeks to completely heal. The dermitologist will give you a cream to dry it up then probably give you an oitment to heal the dry skin. It had nothing to do with cruising or mexico, it just happens, no known cause.

Archived