Norwegian Fjords: best way to see Preikestolen and Geirangerfjord?

Flam76

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to find a cruise for July to Norwegian Fjords. This cruise must include at least two points: Preikestolen (in Lysefjorden) and Geirangerfjord points of view in Geiranger. Right now I'm thinking of MSC Poesia from Copenhagen on 29th of July.

(MSC cruise is also preferrable because they say that kids sail free).

The problem is that I don't know whether the time in Stavanger would be enough to visit Preikestolen, the same issue with Geiranger. Could anyone give me some advice about the MSC cruise that I already selected or suggest any other cruise that match my needs?

Thanks in advance!

Hello everyone, I'm trying to find a cruise for July to Norwegian Fjords. This cruise must include at least two points: Preikestolen (in Lysefjorden) and Geirangerfjord points of view in Geiranger. Right now I'm thinking of MSC Poesia from Copenhagen on 29th of July. (MSC cruise is also preferrable because they say that kids sail free). The problem is that I don't know whether the time in Stavanger would be enough to visit Preikestolen, the same issue with Geiranger. Could anyone give me some advice about the MSC cruise that I already selected or suggest any other cruise that match my needs? Thanks in advance!

Welcome to these CC boards. There are lots of options for seeing much in the fjords and nearby along this great Norway Coast. We have only been to Geiranger. Not been to Preikestolen. It looks great, but getting there is a little more challenging. See some of my pictures below for Geiranger, plus wonderful Bergen and charming Copenhagen!!

Here are my "cautions". Weather and timing are two key factors in these scenic areas. When you go makes a big difference, plus some weather luck. What timing are you planning? Kids going free could be good, but it can also mean a different type of cruise experience on a line that is targeted to lots of families and kids. Trade-offs??!! Tell us more on your personal interests, travel style, family size, ages of children, budget range, past Europe travels, etc. Then, with more detailed information from you, we can make better, more specific suggestions on what best fits your needs and interests.

See below more details for these areas from my live/blog in these key areas. Glad you are considering departing from Copenhagen. Don't miss Tivoli there at night!! It's MAGIC!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 62,365 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 57,807 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

This is the super scenic view from immediately above Geiranger that shows the Silver Cloud and Costa ships tendered. A little before this picture, we were to go to Mt. Dalsnibba as a photo stop from this 4,920-foot vantage for the snow-covered surrounding mountains, icy glaciers, crystalline lakes and Geirangerfjord far below. We went there, but it was totally “socked in”. It was so thick, you could barely find your bus on this day on top of the big mountain crowded with lots of buses from the Costa ship. But this view, at a lower level, makes up for that problems and provided a wonderful vista.:

FjordsFinalPortLongView.jpg

At the end of our visit to Geiranger, our last fjord stop, here was this cute troll to whom our friend Sharon decided to give a little hug and big chin tickle.:

FjordHuggingTroll.jpg

After being tendered from Geiranger, we sailed out and passed by two super famous waterfalls. YES, yes, we saw lots and lots of waterfalls on this trip, but these two were among the “best of the best”. First is the “Seven Sisters”. Next shown is directly opposite in this narrow fjord and is called several names, including “The Suitor”. The majesty for these feats of nature is pretty amazing.:

FjordWaterfallSevenSisters-1.jpg

FjordWaterfallSuitor-1.jpg

This picture shows the Bergen Floibanen funicular railway coming up the steep hill with the harbor, fish market, etc. in the background. On the top, somewhat right, the Silver Cloud and Costa ships can be seen in the harbor, plus nearby scenic areas, etc.

BergenRailCarUpHill.jpg

Tivoli looks so special at night with its famed building designs, water features, gardens, flowers, rides, people, entertainment, etc.:

TivoliJapHseLake.jpg

How long would you be in each port? In Geiranger, we had half a day, and it was still plenty to hike up to the Løsta overlook. Some of the other viewpoints might be too far to make it on foot, but a lot of them are easily accessible by car.

For Preikestolen, we had around 8 hours in Stavanger, and I calculated that it just wouldn't be enough time. I used the Lonely Planet Norway book to get the route information, and between managing the ferry times and making the actual hike up, I felt like we'd be cutting it too close. I know that at least one poster here has made it up Preikestolen during a port call though, so it is possible. It will just depend on how the timings match up with your time in port. Alternatively, if you don' have your heart set on climbing it, you can book a Lysefjord cruise from Stavanger that will sail up and let you see it from the water level.

I found this one as best:

http://www.msccruises.com/gl_en/Cruise-Departures/Cruise-Details-MSC-Poesia.aspx?cruise_id=PO20120715CPHCPH&ship_code=PO

The stay in Stavanger lasts 10 hours. MSC offers the shore excursion as a cruise to Lysefjorden. The problem is that excursion only allows to see Preikestolen from water level, that is not what I'm exactly looking for.

The other problem is the absence of Flam on the route. I can't afford to miss the best place I've been in my entire life :)

If you are doing Preikestolen and Lysefjorden from water level, this is the way to do it. Book directly through these guys, it´s half the price from what the cruise lines will offer you (although you´ll probably be on the same boat)

http://www.rodne.no/index.cfm?id=325701

Both this cruise and your ship will depart/dock smack downtown in Vågen (equal to "the bay") in Stavanger. Easy to walk around. Whatever you want to see in Stavanger City center is within a 10-15 minutes walking distance.

• 3 weeks later...

We are taking a late June/early July cruise on Celebrity and plan to hike Pulpit Rock. We reserved spaces on the 8:00 am ferry and the bus to the parking lot. There are multiple returns and you don't have to pick one. The company is called Tide so do a google search with Pulpit Rock and Tide ferries and you will get the information. It is 480kr for two people, round trip. Our plan is to be on the path by 9:30 and, since we are fast hikers anyway, already altitude adjusted from Colorado, we figure we can do it in 3.5 hours, 4 hours at the latest. However, we also will plan to turn back if time gets too short. We are hoping for the 1:45 ferry back. Since the hike seems beautiful all the way up, we plan to enjoy and just hope for the best, then make sure we get back, regardless.

Archived