Princess Cruise Terminated due to Noro

cdamion

If we could just get everyone to wash their hands. That's all it would take....

It only takes one person to not wash their hands on a cruise and they can get tons of other people sick. Think about it. What do you touch in a day? You wake up in the morning, go to the bathroom and then you don't wash your hands:eek:. You touch: bathroom door, cabin door, breakfast buffet utensils, elevator buttons, hand rails in the stairs, chairs, tables, doors etc. Think of all of the people who touch things right after you do. You take an elevator and someone else touches the same button 30 seconds later. This is how people are getting sick. It only takes 1 or 2 people...

This is so true. They tease me and call me a germaphobe a work. I am an RN and work around nothing but bugs all day. However, what kills me is when I'm out at a restaurant or a store and people come out of the bathroom and just "rinse" their first four fingers off on their dominant hand like their doing something. Even if you are 100 lbs with no "dunk in your trunk" you are rubbing up against your behind and touching the bathroom door/stall that others have touched. Ridiculous how nasty some people are and they don't even have a clue. It's amazing how many people there are that don't know how to wash their hands. Rant over.

Typically, the incubation period when a virus is present is BEFORE you get sick - not AFTER----------- WRONG.

From the CDC Website:

People with norovirus illness are contagious from the moment they begin feeling sick until at "least 3 days after they recover". But, some people "may be contagious for even longer".

Ok then. You stay home if you get sick a week prior to your cruise....but please don't expect anyone else to do the same.

Unless you are puking while in the embarkation line, the cruise line will allow you to board. If the cruise line is OK with it, then please don't lecture us.

Thank you.

Because you are the one that fills out the form and they go by what you say.... they should not denied your boarding unless as halos says you are showing signs of being sick.... If you are running a 104* temp and just got sick outside and you fill out the form saying you are in good health...off on vacation you go.

Viruses could easily be prevented if EVERY person would wash their hands on a consistent basis. If everyone did this, we wouldn't have to worry about what we're catching from door handles, rails etc. Ultimately, there are a lot of yucky people in this world that do not believe in washing their hands after going to the restroom. We know some of these gross people. It's just as bad as coughing and sneezing and not covering your mouth. When someone chooses not to cover their mouth the germs are literally flying out and landing on nearby objects and even people :eek: One gross person can make a lot of innocent people sick.

I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've seen ladies leave the restroom without washing their hands or just running them under water. I went to the pediatrician with my nephew and was HORRIFIED when the doctor blew his nose, did not wash his hands and then examined my nephew. During the next visit I watched the doctor "wash" his hands, only there wasn't any soap involved. A pediatrician of all people should certainly encourage decent hygiene and disease prevention.

EVERYONE PLEASE WASH YOUR HANDS AND COVER YOUR MOUTHS :D Wash your hands before you eat or drink anything and after touching the tray and getting seated pull out the hand sanitizer from your pocket and do a touch up job. It's better than nothing.

I know this is Carnival's board, but I think this is unusual enough that people would want to know about it here.

Crown Princess has terminated it's current sailing to return to port because they can not control a Noro outbreak on board.

Here is the cc link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1567001

I don't ever remember hearing about a cruise being terminated because of a Noro outbreak.

WOW...poor people.......wonder how the will be compensated?

Regular acohol based sanitizers do not help. Alcohol based hand sanitizers do not kill norovirus, no matter what the concentration. The active ingredient that you must have to kill noro is Benzalkonium Chloride. This can be found in household cleaning items such as Lysol, etc. They can also be found in Wet Ones travel hand wipes, and Germ X active foaming hand sanitizer.

http://www.amazon.com/Wet-Ones-Antib.../dp/B000P9EN0O

http://www.germx.com/product_detail.aspx?id=38

Notice that these all have active ingredients of at least .13% Benzalkonium Chloride.

The most effective method would be if everyone just washed their hands after using the bathroom, of course. Noro is not airborne, if everyone washed their hands even if they were infected transmission would go drastically down.

Awesome to know..supply of Wet Ones coming up.

And yes I know hot water and soap is the best but if that can not be done all the time I figure the stronger sanitizer is better than nothing

Regular acohol based sanitizers do not help. Alcohol based hand sanitizers do not kill norovirus, no matter what the concentration. The active ingredient that you must have to kill noro is Benzalkonium Chloride. This can be found in household cleaning items such as Lysol, etc. They can also be found in Wet Ones travel hand wipes, and Germ X active foaming hand sanitizer.

http://www.amazon.com/Wet-Ones-Antib.../dp/B000P9EN0O

http://www.germx.com/product_detail.aspx?id=38

Notice that these all have active ingredients of at least .13% Benzalkonium Chloride.

The most effective method would be if everyone just washed their hands after using the bathroom, of course. Noro is not airborne, if everyone washed their hands even if they were infected transmission would go drastically down.

Not arguing, but does cruise line bathroom soap have this ingredient in it. If not, why does washing ones hands on the ship help?

Washing your hands helps because the soap & water push all the bacteria/viruses off your hands and down the drain.

Another point about washing your hands....use a paper towel to turn the water off when you're done. Remember...you just turned on the water with dirty hands all you're doing when turning off the water with your hands is re-dirtying them. (yes, I just used a non-existent word)

Archived