Crown princess steaming home!

6pack

We just received a formal announcement from the Captain that our cruise is being terminated and we are returning to Ft Lauderdale! As a result of significant increase in NORO on board they CAN NOT continue the cruise. :mad: I can't believe what has just happened

Ouch!

So sorry!

I was on CDC's website yesterday and it appears there were several incidents when CDC recommended the ship not sail for several days. I wonder if the CDC played a role in this decision.:(

We aren't sure what to do as we also have a 2nd week booked on the crown! More info to come, however logistics will be a challenge! Imagine how to schedule flights and hotels for 3000+ They have only announced that we will be receiving a full refund. We're concerned about going onto the deck for fear of catching the virus. The tone in the Captains voice certainly indicated that the number of carriers is very high. It also sounds as though many who were isolated to their cabin chose not to stay in their room!!

The number must be significant. This is a serious decision and a logistic nightmare. Although they have not announced how many psx are sick, we are onboard and the rising numbers of ill psx is of concern. Princess will be providing a full refund and hotel and transportation for all.

I hope those of us who are healthy can stay that way.

Bummer of course, but after 35 cruises this is the first cruise recall we have ever encountered.

I am on this ship departing the 25th. For that many people to be that sick so close to the beginning of the cruise probably means herding everyone one close together in the convention centre had the opposite effect of what was desired. They cleaned the ship and had the sick contaminate the healthy while they waited.

Wow that's unbelievable. We are set to cruise this Saturday on the Crown. I am sure many details will be coming but I must say I am very hesitant about going. By the way, our first cruise!!

The ship will be totally clean and safe, the people embarking however are the ones bringing the noro....so no place is truly safe, hope all stay well and enjoy your first cruise....warning.....cruising is additive........just completed our 115th.....

we carry lysol spray and spray our pillows (after removing pillow cases ) and the top part of the mattress.......we have never gotten sick when doing this.....

On the ship also. I believe the problem is there is a large portion of the crew ill. The entertainment staff has not performed and the dining rooms have been a nightmares. It is what it is. I can say I have been on a cruise to nowhere. If they were to continue and to lose more crew it would be worse. I don't think the islands want known contaminated visitors either. Off to finish the alcohol.

I think we will stay in Ft Lauderdale for 2 nights and get back on for the Western Cruise. I'm hopeful they will have the ship totally disinfected as they have 48 hours to accomplish this. I don't believe this outbreak can be tied to Princess at all. I have never seen so many crew cleaning (all the time!) My ask to everyone boarding on Saturday; if you're sick DO NOT BOARD the Ship!!! Both of us wash and sanitize our hands all the time - we feel fine :) I'm not going to let this incident ruin my cruise. As I always say, a bad day at sea is better than any day in the office!!

I am totally shocked...it basically confirms how bad the situation is onboard.

Considering the current passengers just left on their cruise on Saturday night, I'm unclear how the norovirus is being spread from cruise to cruise? Are the crew passing it on? Is it lurking on handrails (which i assume are being disinfected daily)? There is also an incubation period, right? So is this an entirely new batch of norovirus arriving weekly?

I'm so sorry for all the passengers whose vacations are being affected. The ONLY good news is, if the cruise had continued, and people had gotten sick, there would have been NO refund, just a wrecked holiday.

Ouch!

So sorry!

I was on CDC's website yesterday and it appears there were several incidents when CDC recommended the ship not sail for several days. I wonder if the CDC played a role in this decision.:(

Yes! All of these ships out of the US are inspected by the CDC and need to follow their recommendations. I am pretty familiar with the CDC as I teach public health at a university.

On the ship also. I believe the problem is there is a large portion of the crew ill. .

WE each have our own thoughts but with so many flu outbreaks all over the country, I agree that there are "new" sick people coming abroad weekly. As we have discussed many times here - How many of you would really stay home after you had this vacation planned for months or even a year. I honestly can't answer what I would do. Maybe people feel that they are starting to feel better and planned to stay low in the cabin for a day and hoped to feel better after that.

And sitting around in the convention center or even in the regular waiting area, in such close quarters, are perfect conditions for it to spread around. Maybe Princess has the right idea to start stagering boarding times by deck.

I feel so sorry for the passengers on the Crown. And again - I really feel sorry for Princess - it isn't their fault - but it is going to cost them big bucks.

So sorry for those on the Crown. She left Port Everglades one day ahead of the Ruby, both of which were to be disinfected. It will be interesting to see how Ruby is fairing 24 hours from now.

Sale safe!

Let's all hope and pray that the Ruby is doing better.

So sorry to hear that you cruise has to be ended early. Lucky for you that you have managed to stay well. And that you have another cruise following. Those who don't have to be really sad that their vacation ended up like this.

Unfortunately, I can see the media taking this and turning it into something ugly and ominous sounding. And there will be the disgruntled PAX who will talk to the media and/or post on FaceBook, and make Princess out to be the bad guy. I foresee a publicity nightmare for Princess and CCL again.

Archived