Atlantis impression - Scubagirl?

imapris

Scubagirrl,

Is RIU Palace tied to Atlantis in any way? I have never been to Atlantis, have no desire to do so, and have long suspected exactly what you describe. We were thinking about a day at RIU with the kids, but have some reservations. You say there is no public transportation - is water ferry our only option to RIU?

Thanks,

Scubagirrl,

Is RIU Palace tied to Atlantis in any way? I have never been to Atlantis, have no desire to do so, and have long suspected exactly what you describe. We were thinking about a day at RIU with the kids, but have some reservations. You say there is no public transportation - is water ferry our only option to RIU?

Thanks,

RIU is not owned or managed by Atlantis.. they have a nice day pass and the beach is the same as the Atlantis Beach.

The cabs from the cruiseships are allowed to drop off and pick up passengers from paradise island. ($4pp for a shared van) They will drop you at the door, a bellman will get you a cab to return. ($11 for 2 ppl and $3 for ea. add'l person.

If you chosse the water taxi.. it's a 10 minute walk to the

• 1 month later...

Scubagirl, this is very interesting. I was not thrilled about Atlantis anyway but now we won't be spending our money there. And, no I'm not a bleeding heart liberal. I'm actually a Conservative. I don't like what they are doing to the locals and it is WAY overpriced for what you get.

I'm so glad I found this post. I've been to Nassau twice and will be going again next February on the Imagination. First time I did the Island Tour. Last time I did a resort day pass. I didn't know what else to pick so I came looking for an Atlantis review from Scubagirrl . . . gonna X that off the list now. Back to seeing the Zoo and the Pirates museum . . . will try to find some other things to fill our time.

Why not go to Blue Lagoon? It was beautiful. DH and I wanted to swim with the sealions but it was too late. We still enjoyed the natural beauty of the island. Definitely will go back there if in Nassau.

Your taxi driver was correct. The locals call it the Plantation and refer to it's owner as massa..

I know many people who have lost there business and have lost their homes as well Although they hire 8000 people.. that's 7999 low paying or minimum wage jobs. .. no living wage for those who lost their own restaurants and businesses.

... snipped to save space...

Besides the politics.. I don't see the beauty of this property. I watch it being built.. everything is a facade and thin veil of luxury. There's really nothing High end, just the illusion.

People buy into the commericials.

Ok.. off my soapbox.

I was going to stop there for one thing, to get a few cigars as I have heard that legit Habanos are near impossible to come by in Nassau. Is there ANYPLACE else I could go?

I was going to stop there for one thing, to get a few cigars as I have heard that legit Habanos are near impossible to come by in Nassau. Is there ANYPLACE else I could go?

There's no guarantee that the cuban sold at Havana club in atlantis are the real thing. Customs has little control over the quality these days and agents have been known to change bands and exchange with counterfeits right as they enter the country.. So unless you go to Cuba as a side trip.. there' no guarantee.

Y0u might consider heading to Graycliff's to watch them being rolled. They use Cuban leaf.. and roll them on the premises..

I am at a loss for what to do at Nassau considering our ship is only in port from 8:30 to 2:00. Thought about Atlantis but at $125 each and from what I am hearing here we won't be going there. We thought about Cable or Cabbage Beach. Are there any amenities there such as restrooms, beach chairs? How dangerous is the area with regards to crime?

I am at a loss for what to do at Nassau considering our ship is only in port from 8:30 to 2:00. Thought about Atlantis but at $125 each and from what I am hearing here we won't be going there. We thought about Cable or Cabbage Beach. Are there any amenities there such as restrooms, beach chairs? How dangerous is the area with regards to crime?

Hotels on Cable Beach has all amenties and have day passes running from $25 - $60 depending.

Cabbage Beach does not have restroom or amenities, but you can rent beach chairs.

Off the beaten path beaches are not recommended these days.. stay where you can be seen by others.

Thanks Scubagirrl, thats the jist I was getting from this thread, you just confirmed it. It's a shame really. We'll probably take a taxi to one of the resorts and leave the jewelery and watches behind.

I will be heading to Nassau in June and wondered where i can find out some more information about the area tourist attractions, I have read so much on here but... i need more info..

Thanks

What kind of attractions are you lookng for?

there's an historical tour (google bahamas treasures. link to tour on left )

www.ardastra.com

www.pirates-of-nassau.com

French Cloisters and Versaille Gardens

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=slv8-yie9&va=french+cloisters

You might catch junkanoo practice (as cabbies).

There's a junkanoo expo

Summertime there are plenty of cultural events, regattas, homecoming, indepenence celebrations etc.

• 4 months later...

I'm coming back to Nassau in December and would like to pick up a few things from the Plait Lady. I tried to find her shop in New Providence last time but could not - is the only shop in Marina Village?

As a side note, now I'm really glad I snuck into the Dig last time without paying. I can proudly say that Atlantis has not received any of my money.

I'm coming back to Nassau in December and would like to pick up a few things from the Plait Lady. I tried to find her shop in New Providence last time but could not - is the only shop in Marina Village?

As a side note, now I'm really glad I snuck into the Dig last time without paying. I can proudly say that Atlantis has not received any of my money.

Plait Lady has closed it's shop in Nassau and is only in the marina village at Atlantis. At this time, store hours are 9am - 10pm.

I hate to bud in like this, I was going to book some Atlantis stuff today for our trip in October. However after reading this I will no longer look at this for our adventure. Could you please tell me what you know about the kayaking trips?

B

Plus how is October weather?

Don't know much about the kayaking trips.. alot of tours have kayaks, usually sit upons, just for fun. Don't know of any serious kayak tours.

As for the weather. October is one of my favorite months.. if there are no storms in the air. Generally it's in the low 80's and cooler at nite. But October is the second wettest month of the year.. and it's also hurricane season

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We are coming to Nassau on the 19th of Nov and we are wanting to do the dolphin encounter.

Originally we were planning on Blue Lagoon and after reading the first departure from the island was at 1pm and our boat leaves at 2....

The next option was Atlantis but after reading this thread I defiantly do not want to go there.

My question is- would Blue Lagoon make accommodations for cruisers to be brought back in time?

The first dolphin interaction is at 8:30am

I hope all is well after Sandy :)

My friend attended a continuing education class @ the Atlantis a few summers ago and asked me and my daughter to join them - we just had to pay for airfare which was enticing - I had never been to the Bahamas - but am definitely one that when I travel - agree with some of the other posters who like to learn about the culture on the island, the way the locals live - it's such a wonderful experience. I never thought much about actually staying at the Atlantis. It was a fun place - loved the waterpark and some of the things we did on property but after staying there once - I will never go back. I think the information scubagirl provided is something I should have researched prior to staying there and didn't. One of my fav memories of visiting there was when we went into "the real part of the bahamas" - we had a lady that lived there meet us @ the straw market and take us around - we got to learn alot of information about the history of the town, taste local food and visit with local people - to me that's the best part and always will be. You can go anywhere and go to a cool waterpark - but that's not a true visit or a true taste of the port! Thanks for sharing all that info scubagirl - it's much appreciated!!! LOVED the fresh conch salad we tasted at one of the local stands - YUM!!!!

We are coming to Nassau on the 19th of Nov and we are wanting to do the dolphin encounter.

Originally we were planning on Blue Lagoon and after reading the first departure from the island was at 1pm and our boat leaves at 2....

The next option was Atlantis but after reading this thread I defiantly do not want to go there.

My question is- would Blue Lagoon make accommodations for cruisers to be brought back in time?

The first dolphin interaction is at 8:30am

I hope all is well after Sandy :)

We were at Atlantis last week and had a wonderful time. It is what you make it. I was very impressed with both the aquarium and the water park as well as the property overall. We dont have a "big time" waterpark around here but I think the Aquaventure was very nice.

We didnt have nearly enough time to see it all since Sandy caused out 35 hrs in port to change to 7 so we will most definitely be visiting Atlantis again in the future.

Archived