Pls vote....Sorrento vs. Capri

cruzers j&n

Hi,

We'd like to see Capri. Don't want to do the ships tour. How do you get to the hydrofoil from the ship? Are the taxi's waiting at the hydrofoil when you get off? Thanks for your help.

Here are a few pics of the taxis & dock area Capri:

getting_around01_m.jpg.043f18a7e773cb274cf9258f158d807c.jpg

getting_around04_m.jpg.6a7bdc733adb6826c5bbd275cce140a3.jpg

Hi,

We'd like to see Capri. Don't want to do the ships tour. How do you get to the hydrofoil from the ship? Are the taxi's waiting at the hydrofoil when you get off? Thanks for your help.

We've done Capri twice on our own from Naples and it's really easy. You can walk everywhere if you don't want to deal with public transport, funiculars, etc; we walked up the donkey path one time and up the Phoenecian steps to Anacapri the other time. We bought a guidebook and a map from one of the tourist shops at the dock the first time there, and it was easy to find everything.

Unfortunately can't help you about public transport in Capri because we have never bothered with it. I do recall that once you get off the ferry dock there are a ton of people offering tours, etc, so you should be able to find something.

The ferry from Sorrento is right at the tender dock, IIRC; it's been a while since we were last there (but we'll be there in June). Sorrento is tiny and I don't think there's any other place that the ferry could dock. We are debating whether to go back to Capri for a third time (it's gorgeous and well worth the trip), or take the train to Pompeii +/-Herculaneum. We have two full days this time, so both could happen.

For those who find Capri overcrowded - suggest you wander away from the city if you can, and you'll find jaw-dropping scenery and no crowds. It's one stunningly beautiful vista after another. We have spent the entire day there wandering the coastal roads, meeting few people, and just loving the scenery. A slice of heaven...thinking we just may have to go back in June :)!

Hi,

Yes the taxis are right at the beginning of the pier. They are open air built uniquely for Capri. THE best thing to do is rent one for the day and they will take you to see everything and be waiting for you when your ready for the next stop. You will beat the cruise ship tour folks to everything. We were in the fourth tender from our ship and when we got to the chair lift we were in line with people from the first tender. They had "just gotten there" and weren't the wiser. The cabbies know all the great places to stop for photos and do. Buses don't. Worth every penny. I think we paid about 130 euros plus tip for two. The cabs can hold more. Perhaps getting another couple could lower the per person cost.

Hydrofoil ticket booths and the pier where they dock is within sight of where you are docked or tender to. The crowds are the only thing you find challenging in the morning especially. They have plenty of capacity. Don't be tempted to take a tour in small buses offered by nice looking gentlemen on the pier and on the ferry. They heard you around on a bus and keep you waiting around for 20 people and their potty breaks. The open air experience is thrilling.

If your young and fleet of foot you could walk up the hill,but it is high. You need to be in great shape.

Why would people who get car sick voluntarily take a four hour Scenic Drive?:confused:

I would suggest that you vet your companions more carefully, the next time ;)

Ah, but you see I did not know that they got car sick when I joined the group for a private tour. I still did enjoy the tour though.

• 3 months later...
We've done Capri twice on our own from Naples and it's really easy. You can walk everywhere if you don't want to deal with public transport, funiculars, etc; we walked up the donkey path one time and up the Phoenecian steps to Anacapri the other time. We bought a guidebook and a map from one of the tourist shops at the dock the first time there, and it was easy to find everything.

Unfortunately can't help you about public transport in Capri because we have never bothered with it. I do recall that once you get off the ferry dock there are a ton of people offering tours, etc, so you should be able to find something.

The ferry from Sorrento is right at the tender dock, IIRC; it's been a while since we were last there (but we'll be there in June). Sorrento is tiny and I don't think there's any other place that the ferry could dock. We are debating whether to go back to Capri for a third time (it's gorgeous and well worth the trip), or take the train to Pompeii +/-Herculaneum. We have two full days this time, so both could happen.

For those who find Capri overcrowded - suggest you wander away from the city if you can, and you'll find jaw-dropping scenery and no crowds. It's one stunningly beautiful vista after another. We have spent the entire day there wandering the coastal roads, meeting few people, and just loving the scenery. A slice of heaven...thinking we just may have to go back in June :)!

Hi JP

WOW WOW WOW you take incredible pictures. Did you go back to Capri in June. Did you do any of the hikes. I will be going to Capr in 3 weeks and we will be spending the day. I was wondering which ones you would suggest with most beautiful scenery.

tks

Joanne

justjona - thanks!

We did return to Capri for a day this June. It was even faster and easier from Sorrento than it was from Naples. This time, we didn't spend much time on land - just enough for a quick walk up the steps to the town, a few minutes enjoying the view, and then back to the marina for a boat tour. We did one of the larger boats that circumnavigated the island, and it stopped at the Blue Grotto for those who wanted to enter. It was a fun day.

In terms of hiking - we've done long walks twice. I'd recommend getting a decent map if you're going to strike out on your own. What you can do, and how you do it, depends on how many stairs you like to climb. Be prepared to amble along to soak in the "experience" - in fact, an elderly Italian gentleman once admonished us for walking too fast...

To those who say Capri is overcrowded, touristy, and ugly... Well, we cannot agree. Get out of the main town and the marina. The crowds disappear, and you can see how beautiful it really is. Yes, there are tourist traps and crowds, but you can easily avoid them.

Our two walks were based out of Capri Town for one, and Anacapri for the other. As you stand in Marina Grande looking up at the island, the first walk from Capri Town covers the left part of the island, and the second walk covers part of the right side of the island. The right side is much bigger.

Walk up the steps from Marina Grande to Capri town (stairs are to the left, up the hill a little bit), then head out of town towards Villa Jovis (Palazzo di Tiberio). Other sights on this side of the island include the Matermalia Cave, the Natural Sea Arch, and some nice views of the Faragliones. There were beautiful coastal vistas, uncrowded cliff walks, and lots of steps to climb. Eventually, you'll make a circuit and end up back in Capri Town with time for a coffee or a glass of wine and a snack.

The Anacapri based tour is a little trickier and more physically demanding. We walked the Phoenician steps all the way up to Anacapri; it's a long way up but the vistas are gorgeous, and it gives you a good excuse to stop along the way to "take pictures." You have to turn RIGHT from the Marina (in the opposite direction of everyone else), make a hairpin turn on the main road, and then look for a pretty tiled sign saying "Scala Fenecia" to find them. Once in Anacapri, we rode the chairlift to the top of the mountain (Mt. Solaro), though you could walk up that as well... There are some nice views of the Faragliones, and the Capri side of the island, from Mt. Solaro; you really can appreciate how HIGH UP you are! Then we walked back down to Anacapri and wandered along the coast for more views of the Lighthouse, guard tower, etc. before walking back to Marina Grande.

The Anacapri side is huge, and there's probably a lot more to do. You can walk from Anacapri to the Blue Grotto if you want. We enjoyed seeing it, but others have had less flattering things to say about it. It would be challenging to do Mt. Solaro and the Blue Grotto in the same day by walking. It's a long distance and they're on opposite sides of the island.

Suggestion: look at any one of a number of Capri tourist websites; there's lists of the major and minor attractions that you can see. Pick one side or the other (Capri vs. Anacapri). Then, look on Google Maps to get a rough idea of distances. There is supposed to be a bus between Capri and Anacapri for those who don't want to use the Phoenician Steps, but we have never tried to look for it.

Once you get to Capri, buy a guidebook for a few Euros - preferably one with a decent map included. All of the tourist shops sell them. Then wander around and enjoy your day!

justjona - thanks!

We did return to Capri for a day this June. It was even faster and easier from Sorrento than it was from Naples. This time, we didn't spend much time on land - just enough for a quick walk up the steps to the town, a few minutes enjoying the view, and then back to the marina for a boat tour. We did one of the larger boats that circumnavigated the island, and it stopped at the Blue Grotto for those who wanted to enter. It was a fun day.

In terms of hiking - we've done long walks twice. I'd recommend getting a decent map if you're going to strike out on your own. What you can do, and how you do it, depends on how many stairs you like to climb. Be prepared to amble along to soak in the "experience" - in fact, an elderly Italian gentleman once admonished us for walking too fast...

To those who say Capri is overcrowded, touristy, and ugly... Well, we cannot agree. Get out of the main town and the marina. The crowds disappear, and you can see how beautiful it really is. Yes, there are tourist traps and crowds, but you can easily avoid them.

Our two walks were based out of Capri Town for one, and Anacapri for the other. As you stand in Marina Grande looking up at the island, the first walk from Capri Town covers the left part of the island, and the second walk covers part of the right side of the island. The right side is much bigger.

Walk up the steps from Marina Grande to Capri town (stairs are to the left, up the hill a little bit), then head out of town towards Villa Jovis (Palazzo di Tiberio). Other sights on this side of the island include the Matermalia Cave, the Natural Sea Arch, and some nice views of the Faragliones. There were beautiful coastal vistas, uncrowded cliff walks, and lots of steps to climb. Eventually, you'll make a circuit and end up back in Capri Town with time for a coffee or a glass of wine and a snack.

The Anacapri based tour is a little trickier and more physically demanding. We walked the Phoenician steps all the way up to Anacapri; it's a long way up but the vistas are gorgeous, and it gives you a good excuse to stop along the way to "take pictures." You have to turn RIGHT from the Marina (in the opposite direction of everyone else), make a hairpin turn on the main road, and then look for a pretty tiled sign saying "Scala Fenecia" to find them. Once in Anacapri, we rode the chairlift to the top of the mountain (Mt. Solaro), though you could walk up that as well... There are some nice views of the Faragliones, and the Capri side of the island, from Mt. Solaro; you really can appreciate how HIGH UP you are! Then we walked back down to Anacapri and wandered along the coast for more views of the Lighthouse, guard tower, etc. before walking back to Marina Grande.

The Anacapri side is huge, and there's probably a lot more to do. You can walk from Anacapri to the Blue Grotto if you want. We enjoyed seeing it, but others have had less flattering things to say about it. It would be challenging to do Mt. Solaro and the Blue Grotto in the same day by walking. It's a long distance and they're on opposite sides of the island.

Suggestion: look at any one of a number of Capri tourist websites; there's lists of the major and minor attractions that you can see. Pick one side or the other (Capri vs. Anacapri). Then, look on Google Maps to get a rough idea of distances. There is supposed to be a bus between Capri and Anacapri for those who don't want to use the Phoenician Steps, but we have never tried to look for it.

Once you get to Capri, buy a guidebook for a few Euros - preferably one with a decent map included. All of the tourist shops sell them. Then wander around and enjoy your day!

Hi JP

Tks so much for the info. I was actually looking at a map of Capri yesterday trying to decide where we were going to hike. It looks like we will stay on the Capri side. I was hoping to visit Augusta gardens then hike down Krupps, walk around that marina a little come back up krupps then head to Villa Jovis and do that hike. I will try to get to Capri by 9 -9:30 and plan on taking hydrofoil back around 3:30 (our boat leaves Naples at 6:00) don't want to chance taking the 4:30 hydrofoil. No sure if this is all do-able, what do you think

tks

Joanne

Hi JP

Tks so much for the info. I was actually looking at a map of Capri yesterday trying to decide where we were going to hike. It looks like we will stay on the Capri side. I was hoping to visit Augusta gardens then hike down Krupps, walk around that marina a little come back up krupps then head to Villa Jovis and do that hike. I will try to get to Capri by 9 -9:30 and plan on taking hydrofoil back around 3:30 (our boat leaves Naples at 6:00) don't want to chance taking the 4:30 hydrofoil. No sure if this is all do-able, what do you think

tks

Joanne

It might be on the ambitious side, but as long as you're good walkers, no harm in trying. Make sure that Villa Jovis is going to be open before you make the trek all that way out...

As an alternative, go to Villa Jovis first, then walk along the coast by the Sea Arch, Matermalia Cave, see the Faragliones, and finish at Augusta Gardens. From there, check the time to see how you're doing, and decide whether you have time to go all the way on to Marina Piccolo. We have never been to that marina, but imagine it's a steep climb back up! If you're short on time, no harm in bailing out on Marina Piccolo and just grabbing a glass of limoncello in Capri Town.

We were in Sorrento for a day on a Seabourn cruise and we just returned from a 4 day stay in Sorrento after an Oceania cruise that ended at Civitavecchia. We loved Sorrento, and our hotel, Hotel Minerva, will go on our records as one of the top five hotels that we have ever stayed.

However, if you are going on the Amalfi coast tour that you describe on the day before, I would recommend doing something different like taking the train to either Pompeii or Herculanum (not both) or going out to Capri.

We were fortunate that the Hotel Minerva arranged a boat tour to Capri that went all the way around the island for the same price as the ferry from Sorrento (35E) and then there was another tour operator who offered a bus tour that took us to the major sites on Capri for just 20E. While we could have done it all ourselves, and usually do, it was the end of a month-long vacation and we were more than glad to turn it over to them. On Capri, there is a beautiful garden, Villa Michele, with gorgeous views. Yes, there were lots of tourists, but the Carthusian perfumerie was also fun and we joined our guide at her favorite pizzeria in town for an inexpensive lunch.

We took the Circumvesuviana train from the train station in Sorrento- it costs virtually nothing to Pompeii, like 2E. I would recommend that over Herculanum because it is closer to Sorrento and there is a relatively long walk to Herculanum after you get off the train (although it is more compact and there are more "complete" buildings than in Pompeii. Both sites give you a pretty good map and we used the audioguide in Herculanum and thought it was pretty good. We will probably take my daughters to Herculanum next year on a cruise that stops one day in Naples because it is closer to Naples.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since our cruise in May, but saw that this post was still fairly active so figured I'd mention that we were able do sightsee both Capri and Sorrento very easily within 1 day. We initially thought we may have to chose between one or the other not to feel rushed, but with a long day in port, we were fine. To be clear, we did not take any tours while on Capri (e.g., Blue Grotto) but were able to get around by taking local transportation. We even went all the way to Anacapri too. As a side note, Oceania provided a store front as a shuttle drop off point with bathrooms (free for a change).

Hope this helps for those planning excursions.

• 2 weeks later...
Calling all experts who have been to both locations! We will have 1 full day (8-6 pm) in mid-May to visit either Sorrento or Capri. I know folks who have gone to one or the other but not both, so would be curious which one you would chose? I read on previous boards that you could do both in one day, however, we rather not rush just to see both sites but want to give the place the time it deserves.

Perhaps the weather in May would make the water a bit choppy, in which case I would easily forfeit Capri since I easily get seasick. I'm guessing the water would be too cool to swim as well.

We will be on a private tour the day prior which features Ravello, Positano, and Amalfi....not sure if Sorrento will just feel like a 'repeat'? Would the towns all seem to blend together?

Looking forward to hearing your responses and thanking you in advance for your suggestions.

i previously was in thre same predicament capri or sorrento i opted for capri and it was everything i hoped it to be and was glad for my choice .

however i was dissapointed that i couldnt do sorrento so the following year i booked a holiday to sorrento and visited amalphi and many other places by hiring a car and touring the amalphi coast the car journey not for the faint hearted if your anervous passanger with hights as it takes a very windey road with a huge drop also a very narrow road .we revisited capri and had a wonderful fortnight hope this helps

wrote in part: "Our guide was Marcello, we've used his services 3 or 4 times now, and the company is See Sorrento.

http://www.seesorrento.com/index_eng.html

Whatever tour you choose to do, GIVE MARCELLO A FREE HAND WITH THE RESTAURANT. He has a special talent for choosing a great one.

view-of-the-bay-of-naples.jpg -and getting you a deal. ;)

"...

I can not agree more ..Marcello is the best..and the restaurant finds are too die for..every time I go to Sorrento/Naples..I use him..and he never fails !!!!

But in answer to your question ...I vote for Sorrento for a wonderful town that you can walk around in.

Have lunch at Carusos ( or dinner if you are lucky enough to dock there overnight)...

Pompei if you have never gone is worth while.

When you go to Capri and do the chair lift you can ride to the top takes you to a small snack bar and a pretty view..but the town is not much.

Especially if you are docked in Sorrento and might catch it at the end of the day and are seeing more of the Amalfi Coast the day before-consider Capri or Herculaneum first. If you have not done Pompei or Herculaneum, they are worthwhile but as said above, Herculaneum is smaller and less crowded but still terrific-a small jewel well preserved. We went there and then on to Pompei so I do not know if there is anything else to see in that area.

Capri is fabulous in terms of views and walks (the Blue Grotto was not dirty or crowded when we went but it was off season and not spectacular either). We were there-Capri-late in the year so that it was not crowded but there are many paths where you can end up alone with spectacular views. If you go, visit both Capri and Anacapri. We also had an expensive but great lunch at a restaurant overlooking the sea-it was no restaurant in particular but I still remember the fish. In Nov, the Amalfi coast and Pompei were rainy but Capri was beautiful and sunny.

A more recently available option to touring either Pompeii or Herculaneum would be visiting the Villa Oplontis. These were the private villas of the Roman rich and famous (Nero's wife lived there), which were naturally located outside the city and far above the madding crowd:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187786-d622819-Reviews-

Oplontis-Pompeii_Province_of_Naples_Campania.html

The commute from the cruise ship was much easier than going to those other Roman ruins, and although they are not doable by wheelchair, the Villas are a much more leisurely, though still spectacular tour.

Archived