For anyone who wants to know why OV windows don't open

westcruzer

This video is not about high waves but it's very interesting to see two huge ships collide. I have included different videos to give you a different view of what happened. It's pretty amazing and I definitley would have peed in my pants. These are all shot by passengers on the Carnival Ship. I can't seem to find any videos shot by RCCL passengers.

(short)

(this video is 9 minutes long)

(this one shows a great view)

I remember when that happened. That would be scary.

6335273862The odd thing about the video was that the creaking noise you hear through the whole thing was the outside wall of the cabin. It kind of reminded me of the sounds you hear in the movies with old wooden ships being batted around in a rough storm. They did break a window up front as showroom and comedy club were closed due to water damage.

I was wondering what that noise was. WOW...I don't think I'd wanna experience that first hand. :eek:

I experienced this on the LEGEND out of New York as the remnants of Hurricane Jeanne went through. I was in the last cabin aft on the Starboard side of the Riviera deck (I believe 1265). I was in the bathroom the first time the swells hit the window and the noise was so Loud I thought the television had fallen off the stand. I rushed out and saw no damage.

Upon investigation I couldn't find, for the life of me, what had caused that horrendous sound . . . then the next swell hit ! ! Exciting just like in the video. Wish I had had a video camera. I love rough sea weather.:)

I was cruising (no pun intended) on you tube and found this video which clearly shows why the OV windows do not open. Anyone who has or found cool vidoes like this post them!

Whoa!!! I may have a nightmare tonight about that. I'm glad we'll be on the Empress deck... But it is now very clear why the windows don't open! If I was in that room, I think I may have freaked out.

Nice find. I am going to be in my first OV cabin like this one,,,but I wonder if it was that bad that low in the ship, what the heck would it have been like up like on the Lido. Yikes.

Although on one HAL ship I was told we were in 24 foot swells,,but I couldn't see anything as it was night.

There re some rather "interesting" edits noticable in that video, the first is at the 34 sec mark. There are several others almost as obvious. ;)

The raw footage ran over 29 minutes and had its fair share of shaking camera work and a rather large burp on my part that was trimmed from the final cut.

Nothing nefarious, just trying to put together an enjoyable and viewable video:D

There re some rather "interesting" edits noticable in that video, the first is at the 34 sec mark. There are several others almost as obvious. ;)

I don't see as how that would be big deal.....it's not like they can "edit" the ocean waves to do what they do.

The raw footage ran over 29 minutes and had its fair share of shaking camera work and a rather large burp on my part that was trimmed from the final cut.

Nothing nefarious, just trying to put together an enjoyable and viewable video:D

Thank you for taking the time to edit such a long video to just the right amount of time for all of us to enjoy.

We were on the Holiday and going back to our OV cabin FWD on the STRBD side. There was a lady coming down the hall with her eyeliner running down her face where she had been crying. We asked her if everything was okay. She said she was deathly afraid that the ship was fixing to come apart. We were catching a little bit of rough seas.

We calmed her down explaining that we had said on the Holiday numerous times. That the sounds she was hearing were normal. We took her to the where the Guest Services area was located and explained how the middle of the ship does not pitch as much as the FWD part does. There were a couple of couches there where she could sit. She thanked us and we went back to our cabin.

My wife climbs up into the OV window and is going OOHHH and AAHHH as the ocean waves and spray goes blasting past the window. We check on the lady about a hour later and she is fast asleep on the couch.

Dave

Archived