What was in the water

adios

• 1 month later...
So out of complete ignorance - do the jellyfish sting? I'm supposed to be there in August. EEK! Thanks in advance!

they only sting if you touch they're tentacles..or if you try and squish them when they get washed up on the beach... :D

dont ask me how i know the second part of that statement :D

During the hot season the water temperature changes too. When the water gets warmer is when you see the beaches infested with jellyfish.

Oh joy! Going to Costa Maya in July. I absolutely stay out of the water when jellyfish are present. Had a nephew get stung by them while we were swimming in the Gulf waters in Destin .....he was in pain for a bit that day.

Vinegar takes the sting out of jellyfish bites. We usually vacation in Gulf Shores/Orange Beach area of Alabama and they can get really bad there. Take along a squirt bottle of vinegar and put it on the sting and it should go away quickly. Also Benadryl or Claritin work good also but may make you sleepy.

They were thimble Jelly Fish. They are not what most people think of when you say Jelly Fish. These are quite harmless, but I still would not recommend holding them. The good thing is that they attract turtles since this is a preferred meal of theirs'. They should be gone or very few left in the waters by this time of the year.

Go on line and search for Sea Safe it repels jellies and sea lice... The thimble jellies were at the barrier reef in Belize at the end of April but no one was affected by them.... they showered us off when we got out tof the water...

Vital, Jax, and quilts: Thanks for all the helpful advise.....will remember or try them all. Sure would hate to stay out of that beautiful clear, blue water just because of jellyfish.

Archived