what to do until departure-San Juan

brentag04

We are departing from San Juan on RCI Adventure of the Seas. We depart at 8:30pm and cannot board until 5:30. I think the hotel we are thinking of booking will allow you to checkout at 2:00 but what do you do until you can board? We will have all of our luggage to hall around so its not like we can just take a leisurely tour of town or chill on the beach...so what have others done in this situation?

i am also sailing the AOS in March. You can board much earlier than 5:30. I have sailed out of San Juan before and usually get to the pier around 11:00 to line up to board. You can also wait until after your hotel check out at 2:00 and then head directly to the pier. In my opinion I want to be on board the ship and eating lunch as soon as possible to start my cruise.

Dont pay attention to the boarding time on your cruise documents. You can board the ship as soon as the previous cruise has cleared, usually sometime before noon. Lunch is served at the Windjammer buffet, the pools are open (pack your swimsuits in your carryon if you wish to swim), and you'll be getting the most of your 1st day onboard. I would head over to the ship as soon as you check out of the hotel at about 10:30 or 11am.

Have fun on Adventure! That was one of our best cruises!

We are departing from San Juan...and cannot board until 5:30.

5:30 is actually nearing the cut-off time of being able to board. Government regulations typically require the cruise line to submit a passenger manifest 60-90 prior to leaving port.

As the others have stated, the boarding time is more a suggestion/estimate. The previous passengers must disembark and sometimes the US Coast Guard performs an inspection/drill of the ship.

If you board too early you may not be able to get into your stateroom, but can utilize the public spaces.

To piggyback off what DonnaK said, not only pack your swimsuit in your carry-on, but also anything you're going to need for the first few hours. It can take a while for the luggage to be delivered, even after being allowed into your stateroom.

Enjoy! We're sailing on the Serenade out of San Juan next month!

In most hotels, you can check out of your room and leave your luggage with the bell desk. They will give you a receipt and hold your luggage in a baggage room. This will still leave you with your bag with your valuables which you might not want to check.

Many hotels have a changing room/bathroom near the pool and you can hang out at the pool for a few hours.

I probably would prefer to not be the first to the ship to wait on line to board, but neither would I want to get there at 5:30. While 11 might be early, 1 or 2 might be perfect to check right in and walk on board with no lines. Lunch will still be available.

You should be getting more feedback today on exact boarding times. Otherwise, I'd post on the RCCL boards.

2 years ago we sailed AOS and got to the port about 11. Traffic getting into the port was HORRENDOUS! Next time we sail from San Juan, we'll take the late checkout and get to the ship about 1 or 2.

Enjoy AOS - we had a wonderful time on her. My kids are still talking about it. It was their first cruise and they have been hounding us to go on another one since then!

Archived