"No good snorkeling on or near Waikiki" = none at all or no *great* snorkeling?

mikeerdas

Some guidebooks will tell you there's "no good snorkeling on or near Waikiki Beach." Others claim you can snorkel down at San Souci beach (connected to Waikiki Beach?) or around the Magic Island.

I'm asking because my wife and I have our own snorkel gear. And any snorkeling at all where we could see some cool fish around Waikiki would be nice. We'll be staying at the Hilton Hawaiian Village, so maybe we'd need to grab a bus to San Souci or have a very long walk to Magic Island?

Has anyone here tried to snorkel on or near to Waikiki? Did you truly see nothing at all? Or just not hundreds of fish like you'd see at a snorkeling site like Hanauma?

Considering going to Hanauma to snorkel at some point. But it sounds like a mad house. Guidebooks seem to claim you should arrive by 8am if you want to find parking. The couple we're traveling with wants to snorkel but doesn't like getting up early. So Hanauma may be out by definition unless you can take a bus there.

Anyway, I'm trying to tease out what the comment that there's "no good snorkeling at Waikiki" really means. I get that there's no fantastic snorkeling. But are conditions really so inhospitable that there are no fish or the water's so cloudy that you'd see nothing? Since we own our own snorkel gear, I welcome any opportunity to snorkel, even if it's not great. I understand that if someone rented gear for the sole purpose of snorkeling at or near Waikiki that they'd probably be disappointed.

Would love to hear about peoples' experiences trying to snorkel at or near Waikiki so I can know what to expect. What spots, if any, are worth trying?

Sorry if this is a no-no, but I thought I might get a better response about snorkeling opportunities on or near Waikiki over on the Scuba and Snorkeling forum. Posting the link here in case anyone else is interested:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1570111

Moderator, please close either thread if you feel that's appropriate.

If you have your own snorkel gears, you would've snorkeled elsewhere. Might want to try diving.

Waikiki really doesn't have good snorkeling. It has sand and surf. Not going to see much trying to snorkel there.

Hanauma Bay snorkeling is really for beginners. It is pretty big, and from mid-morning onward would be swamped with people. You do actually get thousands of people, a lot of them first time snorkelers. Many of them swim a little bit to the nearest patch of coral reef and stand on them, killing them. With so many people standing on them, and kicking up sand, it will not be good snorkeling -- unless you're a first time snorkeling and finds it exciting to see so many people doing the same thing.

But the movie you see at the entrance of Hanauma Bay is good.

If you really like to snorkel, there are lots of other good places. Google around and decide if you like to rent a car and go places in Oahu as well as snorkeling, e.g. at Shark's Cove.

• 7 months later...

We'll be staying 3 nights of our 6 night Oahu trip at the Aulani. What is the snorkeling like in the Ko Olina lagoons? Probably will skip Hanauma Bay--sounds like too much of a hassle. But may like to try some snorkeling in the North Shore. Suggestions?

I know the snorkeling isn't great compared to what you'd find on the Big Island and elsewhere. Still, any snorkeling is better than none. Especially when we own our own gear and will be bringing it with us.

For example, this link seems to suggest the snorkeling is decent at Ko Olina:

http://www.tropicalsnorkeling.com/snorkeling-ko-olina-lagoons.html

Trying to find some last minute justification to paying to check a bag. Only reason we're checking a bag, and paying for it, is for our snorkel gear. And to lighten our carry-on bags. But mostly for snorkel gear. Fins in particular make up the space. Tempted to leave the fins at home. But our masks are prescription masks (well, pseudo-prescription anyway).

We'll have a rental car 4 days while we're over at the Aulani. Staying at the HHV for our Waikiki portion. Consensus seems to be there's nothing to see snorkeling-wise.

O.K. I would pack my snorkels and fins to have available whenever we want them. I don't think that Waikiki has the best snorkeling but it's better than nothing. The "lagoons" around Ko'Olina have very nice snorkeling and I belive that the Aulani has it's own snorkeling lagoon. Not just the ocean lagoon but another one that they charge to snorkel and dive in.

Sharks Cove on the North Shore is great this time of year. Pick up lunch at Ted's or a shrimp truck in Haleiwa and enjoy a fabulous day. Also, there is a Foodland across the street with plenty of food and drink, they also have a deli.

Another option is going to Turtle Bay Resort for the day. When you go through the gate you ask for a day pass. They only give out a certain number per day but we have never been denied. If the day passes are gone any restaurant on property will validate with a purchase. The Hang Ten Bar and Grill is a great place to enjoy drinks, food, and views of the surf.

The beach and snorkeling lagoon at Turtle Bay is public.

Also, if you are still thinking of Hanauma Bay, we always go later in the p.m. when the early crowds are leaving. We have never had a problem with parking.

I would vote for "take your snorkeling stuff". I hope you have a great time,

Aloha, Cherie

We are very experienced snorkelers and we really liked Hanauma Bay. Yes, it was crowded, yes there are a lot of beginners, but there is something for everybody. If you go to the sides, in the deeper water, or just outside the reef, the snorkeling can be excellent. But be careful, there are rip currents when you get near the reef. Some people will drown in Hanauma Bay every year.

Most people at Hanauma stay within the reef unless VERY experienced. If the previous post worries you, there are life guards at Hanauma. We have snorkeled there with 2-60 year olds. Hanauma is not our favorite snorkel site now but it is a really nice experience. Cherie

O.K. I would pack my snorkels and fins to have available whenever we want them. I don't think that Waikiki has the best snorkeling but it's better than nothing. The "lagoons" around Ko'Olina have very nice snorkeling and I belive that the Aulani has it's own snorkeling lagoon. Not just the ocean lagoon but another one that they charge to snorkel and dive in.

Sharks Cove on the North Shore is great this time of year. Pick up lunch at Ted's or a shrimp truck in Haleiwa and enjoy a fabulous day. Also, there is a Foodland across the street with plenty of food and drink, they also have a deli.

Another option is going to Turtle Bay Resort for the day. When you go through the gate you ask for a day pass. They only give out a certain number per day but we have never been denied. If the day passes are gone any restaurant on property will validate with a purchase. The Hang Ten Bar and Grill is a great place to enjoy drinks, food, and views of the surf.

The beach and snorkeling lagoon at Turtle Bay is public.

Also, if you are still thinking of Hanauma Bay, we always go later in the p.m. when the early crowds are leaving. We have never had a problem with parking.

I would vote for "take your snorkeling stuff". I hope you have a great time,

Aloha, Cherie

Packed. Thanks Cherie! :-)

Archived