What's the best way to do it?

bomberchamp

Ok maybe a little misleading title but I got you to look. We are going to be on the victory for our 8 th anniversary and in St. Thomas the day of. The situation is that my wife lost the diamond out of her ring about 6 months ago and I have gotten it replaced with a bigger diamond and want to know how to surprise her with it. I never officially proposed when we got married and dont want to mess up giving her this ring a second time. I am looking for any kind of ideas either romantic or surprising.

Look for someone who could give you a private tour...perhaps of the island....we went with Henry of EEE and he was awesome! If you told him what you wanted to do I am sure he would be happy to help set up something special...either by dropping you at a beach, park etc...

Personally, I'd do it on the ship. There, you pretty much can control the surroundings.. but on the island there are unknown variables.

Also, when on the island you'll probably be in a less romantic situation (ie: beach clothes, etc)... I don't recall if your ship has a Steakhouse or not, but if so make reservations and do it there.

If they don't have a Steakhouse, speak to the CD and he might let you do it during the "welcome aboard" show or some other on-stage event.

But if you are allowed to do it on-stage, just be certain she will say "yes". :eek:

If my husband were going to do this for me my ideal way on a cruise would be one night after dinner...grab a couple glasses of wine, go to a secluded place on deck somewhere, watch the stars and cuddle for awhile, tell her how much you love her (and why), and get down on one knee.

Reverse Cowgirl!! :D Ok I got you too look back!!!

I proposed on the ship a few years back and did it at the showcase of stars show infront of over 800 people! Was not as bad as I thought it would be cause the spotlight pretty much blinds you from the crowd..

I got ahold of the CD before the sailing and emailed him and he set it up for me, they played it out like he pulled a name from a bucket and called my name to get a prize. asked who I was cruising with then called my now wife up. handed me the mic and walked away.

The rest of the cruise we were celebrities on the ship! We could not go anywhere without people congratulating us:) Anyway you do it, make it something she will never forget!

I kind of like the idea of up on deck just the two of us. I don't want to make too big of a deal as it will be one couple in our groups honeymoon. It is an anniversary not a proposal, so I don't want it to be some kind of spectacle, just something she will remember.

I proposed on the ship a few years back and did it at the showcase of stars show infront of over 800 people! Was not as bad as I thought it would be cause the spotlight pretty much blinds you from the crowd..

I got ahold of the CD before the sailing and emailed him and he set it up for me, they played it out like he pulled a name from a bucket and called my name to get a prize. asked who I was cruising with then called my now wife up. handed me the mic and walked away.

The rest of the cruise we were celebrities on the ship! We could not go anywhere without people congratulating us:) Anyway you do it, make it something she will never forget!

Awww I just teared up from that!! Congratulations...and that would be beautiful. Whether it's something grand or low-key, just make sure it's true to you two. A beautiful, new diamond is nice and something as simple as having a domed room service plate delivered and placing it under there. She'd be surprised and ask, "what did you order?" only to find the new ring and you with a big grin on your face.

Either way, like I said, just be true to your love for one another. I'm bold, outgoing and over the top but would probably prefer something low-key. I'd be gushing if ^^^^^ what cruise_pirate did happened to me. My red face would be all over youtube. hahahaha

Since you are already married I don't think the big show is necessarily the best - just my opinion as a wife of just over 7 years. When we were in Key West (land-based vacation) my husband took me to Diamonds International when we were with friends and we walked out with a small, but sparkly anniversary band at only 5 years and it was great - just a spur of the moment stop at the diamond store while having a great time. In this case I am almost sure he planned nothing, just thought it was a great idea after a few drinks at Irish Kevin's and it was nowhere near close to our actual anniversary. It was still exciting just the same!

That being said, I think dinner would be a great time to do it! Not sure if you are traveling and dining with friends or not, but whether you are dining by yourselves or at a table of friends or even some strangers - I think it would be great just to order a bottle of champagne for the table and present the ring there. Your wife will still feel special for being singled out amongst a small group but not necessarily embarrassed by something over the top since you have already been married a few years. After that, fill the evening with whatever your wife wants to do whether it be buy a little something in the shops, listen to the more romantic music they usually play in the lobby, or stay dressed up and go dancing in the club or even playing some slots if that is what she likes to do. No further planning other than making some arrangements with your waiter or the Maitre D prior to dinner so they know to have a bottle of champagne sent over at the appropriate time. It would work great for me!!

OK...took to long to post this and saw another post indicating you did not want something over the top and would be with friends. I still think even you have friends on their honeymoon it would be fun to do the champagne thing at dinner. If the honeymooners are at dinner with you just make a toast to new and older love and everyone gets to enjoy the bubbly and the fun of couples who are happily married. No matter what you do I am sure your wife will love it. Enjoy the cruise and the anniversary! And if you think about it, maybe report back to use how it went!

WOW! I feel like I should have you email my bf and drop some hints lol.....awesome idea!!

and for the OP...I'm young, not married, and as much as I think about the perfect way to be proposed to, I know that when the times comes, I'm not gonna care how, when, where, or what I was wearing...I will just be excited it happend!! Good luck! let us know how it goes..

on our first cruise we watched as a guy proposed to his girl while taking pictures that night. I assume he had clued the photographer in before, it was sooo sweet, and, we searched the pic's out the next day (is that creepy?) and the photographer caught that surprised and super sweet moment..it was really awesome

Room service huh? I kind of like that one. I was trying to think of a way to possibly take her out snorkeling and diving down and " pulling her ring out of the sand " and see if she recognizes it with the bigger stone in it.

Umm unless you want to purchase more than one ring, don't get anywhere the beach/water with it. So easy to lose it in the excitement.

Stick to a moonlight stroll on the deck.. much safer. She will love it.

If you decide you want to re-propose in St. Thomas there is a great spot where a lot of weddings are held (& I think there is usually a gazebo but when we were there it was down because of high winds) at St. Peter's Greathouse & Batanical Gardens. We took a tour with Papa Bear & it was part of our tour. It was our 26th anniversary that day & it was a great spot for us to reconnect! :D

Sorry the only picture of it has us in it but it is a wonderful place & we loved celebrating our anniversary there!

232323232%7Ffp4335%3B%3Enu%3D3235%3E9%3B8%3E%3B96%3EWSNRCG%3D34355%3B5278324nu0mrj

Good luck!

Juli

A couple of thoughts:

Once while we were at a restaurant celebrating my birthday, when I went to the ladies room my husband said 'let me just put your purse over here' and he put it in the booth on the other side of him. When I came back out and sat down, he said 'here's your bag' - but what he handed me was a bag from my favorite jewelry store with a diamond necklace in it!

-or-

When she gets ready for formal night tell her how nice her dress looks... but the jewelry she has on isn't very fancy.... maybe this would look better - and hand her the ring.

Umm unless you want to purchase more than one ring, don't get anywhere the beach/water with it. So easy to lose it in the excitement.

Stick to a moonlight stroll on the deck.. much safer. She will love it.

The snorkeling idea could work. Bring a length of fishing line with you and make sure it's securely tied to the ring, call her over and see if she spots it. That way you can make sure it's does not get lost.

If you do the champagne thing, could you get it inside, at the bottom of her champagne glass?

That's what I was thinking - get your room steward involved...

Even with the fishing line, the ocean thing scares me; I think I would gasp with delight at the ring and inhale water :eek:

I think the best would be to contact the CD and have you and the wife "selected" for the Love and Marriage Game. He could ask, "How did he propose". Then you could do it there on stage. (and it would be on the DVD and play over and over and over and over the entire cruise on the TV. And I bet you would get a few free drinks out of it from other passengers too.)

However you choose to give it to her, clue waiters, others into what is going on. My husband took me out to dinner at Red Lobster, as we finished eating, he proposed to me and gave me the most beautiful diamond I had ever seen. I broke right down in tears and the wait staff were all concerned that either I broke a tooth or a domestic dispute was erupting. What should have been an intimate moment was a bit crowded. It's comical now, but not exactly what my DH had in mind. LOL

Archived