Costa Rica & Windstar Few questions

aklarsen

We are headed to Costa Rica to board the Star in a few weeks. Couple of questions.

Are there formal nights on Windstar?

Do you recommend taking excursions in the ports or are there options (safe and accessible) to explore on our own in any of the ports?

With this itinerary, does Windstar open the sports deck often?

Absolutely no formal nights! Country club casual every night.

We have always booked shore excursions with Windstar and never felt ripped off. But the option is always there to book your own.

How often the sports deck will be open will depend on the state of the seas on any given day. But there is only one sea day so you have a good chance of getting a few days in where it is open.

Enjoy

My response is based on last time we sailed Windstar, which was Jan. 2010. It's under new ownership and while I don't think it has changed, it could have.

That said, as of when we last sailed: no formal nights. Windstar dinner dining is "resort casual," meaning upscale your deck attire a few notches. No tees, no shorts, no flip-flops, etc.

Costa Rica: this is a gorgeous, clean and friendly country!! Been there twice and love it!! The people were always upbeat and happy, with Pura Vida! being the greeting between them, a happy common greeting as we'd say Hello! Pura Vida=Good Life (or pure life). By all means, take some tours! There are butterfly farms where you can walk among the most beautiful of these creatures--hold out your hand, and they'll land; coffee plantations where you can see how coffee used to be made and at some, where it still is; gorgeous beaches; lush foliage, etc. We so enjoyed the small taste of Costa Rica on our first Windstar cruise that for our second, we came in 2 days early. Connected with one of the tour companies and found a guide to show us around a full day. It was wonderful. Our guide was personable, knowledgeable and such a delight that we treated him to lunch at the coffee plantation he took us to, something he obviously did not expect us to do.

Costa Ricans love life, their country and they enjoy showing it off. You should expect to enjoy! I can dig up the name of the tour company and the coffee plantation we toured, both of which I'd recommend.

Sports deck: if you mean the drop-down water and sports platform, I don't believe that's on the Star or Flyer, only on the Wind Surf. FYI: Costa Rica has great surfing, but not a lot of spots for good snorkeling or diving, due to the currents and drop offs.

If the ship still offers horseback riding on the beach and you enjoy that type of thing, do it. That got rave reviews from those on our 2010 cruise who did it. The mangrove boat tour offered by Windstar was a pleasant tour that can bring you up close and personal with a variety of species. We had little white-faced monkeys crawling all over our boat, hoping for treats, at one spot! And the bitty little tiger-faced crabs crawling among the roots....those are fascinating to see!

Take your camera and have fun!

Sports deck: if you mean the drop-down water and sports platform, I don't believe that's on the Star or Flyer, only on the Wind Surf.

All the ships have the water sports platform. It's not open anytime you are docked in port. And, it won't be open unless the sea is calm enough when you are anchored out.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived