Boat/catamaran/snorkel tour without Stingray part?

kycalgal

Dh and I will be in GC in just a few weeks and want to enjoy a beautiful day on a boat or catamaran, with snorkeling. The tours I've seen so far all stop to see the stingrays as their main event. We would rather spend time sailing & snorkeling. Maybe even a stop somewhere else. I just realized there will be about 14,000 cruisers in port that day, and would like to book something to get away from the main crowds. Any ideas?

We'll be in Grand Cayman this summer and after extensive searching and many email to different tour guides it seems that unless you're okay on a small boat (like an outboard motor fishing boat) you're pretty much out of luck.

We're in the same situation with 4 ships being in port and have decided to just do some snorkeling from shore instead. We'll get to snorkel at a couple different places without having to go to the stingrays (all within walking distance from the ship), spend 0$ on an excursion, and be able to stay away from the big crowds.

We'll be in Grand Cayman this summer and after extensive searching and many email to different tour guides it seems that unless you're okay on a small boat (like an outboard motor fishing boat) you're pretty much out of luck.

We're in the same situation with 4 ships being in port and have decided to just do some snorkeling from shore instead. We'll get to snorkel at a couple different places without having to go to the stingrays (all within walking distance from the ship), spend 0$ on an excursion, and be able to stay away from the big crowds.

I was looking into a private excursion through Island Marketing. It is pricey ....I'd put it up on our roll call but I think you, kkdleon, and I are the only regulars on it...so I'm sure we wouldn't get much movement on it there.

OP, you don't say which line you're sailing on. Carnival offers a tiki party boat which has snorkeling and a beach stop, and doesn't go to Stingray city. I was asking about that one, but no one seems to have tried it. It might be what you're looking for. I'm going to give it a shot.

I've also done the reef and wreck snorkel, which I really enjoyed (again, no rays).

We're on Royal Caribbean. I hadn't seen the reef & wreck snorkel, but had not looked far into ship excursions because there's so little specific info on them by the cruise line. I'll check that one out. Thanks!

OP, you don't say which line you're sailing on. Carnival offers a tiki party boat which has snorkeling and a beach stop, and doesn't go to Stingray city. I was asking about that one, but no one seems to have tried it. It might be what you're looking for. I'm going to give it a shot.

I've also done the reef and wreck snorkel, which I really enjoyed (again, no rays).

• 2 weeks later...
Creepella, can you give us review of the Tiki snorkel/beach tour upon your return. We booked that same excursion for our April cruise and were wondering what it was like. :confused:

I will try to remember. If you ping this thread before you leave, I definitely will.

• 3 weeks later...

We just got back, and here is my review:

The boat is a standard catamaran, with tiki hut sort of decor.

The staff are good.

The snorkelling is in Grand Cayman, and therefore awesome. And they give you lots of time in the water. I got the impression they were very helpful with the newbies.

The included beer is Miller Lite or Bud Lite.

The music is loud, and there are contests.

The sandwiches are not veggie friendly, but are, indeed 6 inch subway sandwiches (cold cuts and cheese).

The beach is lovely; I spent most of the time just bobbing in beautiful crystal clear water. The amenities are plentiful (bring $$$).

All in all, a good excursion. 4/5

• 3 weeks later...

Hoping to find some other non-Stingray options for our family of five (the youngest is 9).

We would like to snorkel in Grand Cayman. It will be the first snorkeling experience for our three kids, and I am having a hard time finding something that I think will work on the Carnival excursion options. I really don't want to go to a party scene, and no one seems to be interested in stingrays.

Archived